Goldman Sachs

Updated Jan 14, 2015

2.9

172 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2013.

No initial screening. Applied online and flown out to Salt Lake City. Standard interview questions. Took 2 weeks to hear back

Interview Questions
  • All about ethical questions and diving deep into your resume. Looking for a good fit with the culture.   Answer Question

The pay was ridiculously low.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2013.

Applied via University career site, then was forwarded to Goldman's career site to apply there as well. Was contacted one week later to attend "Superday" final round interviews the following week. I wasn't phone screened, nor did I have an on-campus interview first. I had four 30 minute interviews, the first was 1:1, the other three were 2:1 - myself, an associate, and a VP or manager. They all asked similar interview questions. They said we'd all hear back within two weeks; I got my offer one week from the interview date.

Interview Questions
    • What role do you typically play on a team? How do you manage multi-tasking? Greatest strengh/ weakness? What does our department do?   View Answer
    Received an offer via telephone one week after the "Superday" final round interviews at the Ops headquarters in Jersey City.

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied through an employee referral and 2 months later I had a phone interview with 4 different individuals, each 30 minutes long.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2013.

I applied for this role through the company's website. After few weeks, I was contacted by a recruiter who asked me to come for an interview. The interview lasted two hours. I met four people in total, one VP and three managers. All the interviewers, except for the VP, did not seem very interested about getting to know me. They just wanted to know my experience with different financial instruments, specially with derivatives. Also, they made a lot of emphasis on how people at GS are super competitive.

Interview Questions
    • What type of financial instruments did you handle in your previous position?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a successful team project?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a conflict you've experienced in a team project.   Answer Question
    • Who have you seen so far (name the previous interviewers)?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2013.

The first round was on campus, and on the second round we were invited to the office. All of them were back-to-back interviews 2 to 1 or 1 to 1. The first round we had 2 interviews and the second round 3. The interview questions themselves were not difficult but you have to know what you bring to the table and be prepared to present yourself well, just like in any other interviews. Some interviewers were a bit daunting and I got nervous. Be confident and don't ramble!

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

There were 3 rounds total. First interview was a 15 minute pre-screening. The second round I talked to 4 interviewers 1:1 for 30 minutes each. Mostly fit questions -- some interviewers were formal and others informal. Third round was a lot like second round 2 to 3 hours onsite with mostly fit questions and a few technical questions. Overall the experience was a lot less scary than I had imagined it would be -- everyone was very nice.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult situation you have ever been in and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied for GS Ops full-time and got invited to Salt Lake city for interview 2 months ago. I didn't get an offer but I learned many things and thought I should share. So here it goes:
    I applied on my University career website (and probably on GS website as well but I couldn't be too sure). HR emailed me one day saying you are invited, please apply for

1) American Express credit card (which would be used to pay for my travel expenses but it didn't arrive in time so I had to pay out of pocket and am still waiting for reimbursement)

2) book an airline ticket on GS website, paid by GS upfront. Tips: arrive early, allow yourself one night before the interview to review material and relax. If your interview is at 10am in the morning, don't fly the 6am flight.

Once you get there, treat yourself well, don't stress out. There is a limit on how much you can spend on breakfast, lunch and meal so double check it.

As far as the interview goes, the format is like this:

Day 1: you will be interviewing with 2 people, one is relatively new to the company and one is veteran. They will be asking about what GS is, what GS does, what Ops does. More importantly, they will be looking at your resume and ask why you are interested in GS in general and Ops in particular. They are all about working in team so they will ask "give me an example of a time when you lead a group and was successful (or unsuccessful) and why? Or an example of you as a teammate, how you contribute and did your team succeed or not?

Tips: take your time but don't drag it on and on. Have examples ready. One case competition, one group project can offer you various ways to answer different questions if you know how to do it.

Ethical questions: what do you do if a client insist on making a trade/transaction that you know is not profitable for them in the long run but it would benefit the bank? Or rank the 3 qualities in order of importance: risk management, client service, efficiency.

Day 2: you will be interviewing with seniors of the company. I failed on this round so I don't know how to help you out on this. But here it goes:
    Why are you interested in GS, what attract you to Ops? I saw that you work for [a bulge bracket] over the summer, why choose GS?

Pretty much the same as first day but expect a lot more challenging questions and less friendly attitudes.

I suggest looking at Glassdoor.com for more interview question. The key is: know the company, know yourself, and be confident/articulate when answer. Ask for time to think if you stumble upon a hard one. Look enthusiastic and you'll be fine. Have QUESTIONS to ask them at the end of the session!

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if a client insist on making a trade/transaction that you know is not profitable for them in the long run but it would benefit the bank? Or rank the 3 qualities in order of importance: risk management, client service, efficiency.

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Invited out to SLC. Had four 30 minute interviews, two 1:1 and two 2:1. Not much small talk or niceties, the interviewers were straight to the point. The interviews were fairly repetitive, "tell me about yourself" "why GS" "tell me about a time on a team" "what does it mean to be ethical." The question choice was interesting; very basic. Everyone was very professional and HR was great.

Interview Questions
    • If tasked with an assignment, would you rather work alone or on a team?   Answer Question
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2012.

I was only given final round interview with 4 back to back interviews. Each of them took half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • There was no unexpected question. Everything was pretty much personality questions.   Answer Question
    I was able to tell them whether I will accept offer now or later. I told them that will take it over the phone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

I had applied to some internships my junior year of college and never heard anything. Then during the fall of my senior year I received an email about an online webinar and conference call outlining positions in the Operations Division in Salt Lake City. I registered for it and "attended". After it was over they told you how to apply. I applied and got an email inviting me to interview in SLC. It was a two day process involving four interviews. The first day was two one on one interviews with vice presidents. It was straightforward, but I made friends with three other kids from schools around the country and none of them made it to the second day. The second day was two, two on one interviews with vice presidents and managing directors. They definitely grill you a bit more since it's the last stage, and the competition is much more intense. For instance, I found myself sitting in a waiting area with people from target schools like BYU and WashU who already had 80K offers from other companies (I know because they were bragging about it). They had completed their first round of interviews on campus and many of them knew each other and had formed little circles just like in high school. I have a liberal arts degree from a non-target school in Colorado and needless to say, I felt a little out of place. Overall, I thought the interviews went well, but because I didn't have any finance internship experience, a quantitative degree, or a degree from a target school, I pretty much knew my fate. The only hiccup was the fact that I have an Econ minor, and the way I had written it on my resume made it a little confusing. One of my interviewers made a comment about me having a major in Econ, so I had to say "No, I have a minor in Econ". He didn't seem to like this and scribbled some stuff down. Basically, Goldman is just like any other company that receives a high volume of applicants, so they have to weed you out somehow. The obvious advice: go to a target school, major in something quantitative, get an internship etc. The less obvious advice: be honest, friendly and do not assume you have the job until you have the job.

Interview Questions
    • If a client asks you to help them with something you know will be against their best interests, do you go ahead and assist them with doing it, or do you talk them out of it?   Answer Question