Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Programmer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

Interview Details – One round interviews on campus. Then go to on site. I don't know where I made a mistake, but I think at least being confident is one of the most important factor.

Interview Question – what is your role model?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2009.

Interview Details – Preparation is key. Basic questions about strengths/weaknesses, lots of brain teasers.

Interview Question – How many square feet of pizza is eaten in the US each year?   View Answers (23)

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – Got a call from a recruiter to go straight to the second-round interview. There was only one team interviewing me, though some people get up to 3 or 4 teams interviewing them. Questions were mostly about my resume, one logic question, very minimal programming. Not very technical at all.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation accepted for New Associate Programmer Analyst

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2012.

Interview Details – I did two interviews with two team. On the first day, it took 3.5 hours with six people from one team. Each person took 30 mins and all technical question except the last person. Last person spent about an hour, explained a little about the company, and showed their office on 7th floor. It was intensive interview but interview experience was good.

A week later, I went through the second interview from 10:30 am to 4:30 pm. the first one hour was with the same team who interviewed me a week ago. 30 minutes break. Starting from noon to 4:30pm, continuous interview with another team and a VP from HR as the last interviewer.
I was very surprised that they didn't even provide me a lunch. Even no lunch time except the 30 minutes break. Last second interviewer was a manager. He didn't say exactly, but it seems he expects his employee to perform on-call duty too. He said the job is not typical 9 to 5 job. Everybody needs to carry a phone and need to respond. This second day interview experience was not pleasure.

Interview Questions

Dallas, TX

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2010.

Interview Details – There were 3 interviewers. All three of them were engineers in Goldman. The first one was behavioral. The next one was technical. I finally met the vice-president technology. He seemed to be impressed with my research work. He offered me to fly to New York. However, I was also called for interviews with a couple of different technology companies. Before I scheduled my Interviews at Goldman, I was offered a position in one of the big tech companies and I chose to join them. I declined further interviewing with Goldman.

Interview Question – Have you ever said lies ? If so what is the gravest lie you have said.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I got a better offer in a technology company. I wanted to stay close to technology companies

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was very drawn-out. First I had a phone interview, next I was invited to come and interview on site – I met with 4 people that day, after that I was invited for another in person interview – once again I met with 4 people. Then there was a week during which I’ve received no communication from the HR, however the following week I received an invitation for one more, in-person interview. I declined, since I’ve already received and accepted an offer from a different company during the previous week.

Except for the sheer number of times I had to go back, I had mostly pleasant experience interviewing. All, except one person, were very professional, polite, and seemed like a good group of people to work with. They all asked at least one “analytical” question, but not the ones like “how do you move the building” or “how many elephants are in the country” – their questions were tricky, but you could reason through them; they’ve also asked me about the projects I’ve worked with and some technology related questions.

Interview Question – what's the difference between dynamic_cast, static_cast   View Answers (2)

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2009.

Interview Details – The interviews are tedious and extensive. Long and tiring. The interviews are basically to find out the problem solving skills and ability to learn new things and show loyalty. Goldman Sachs takes its reputation and ethics very very seriously and will hire anyone only if it sees him or her fit into its culture. Its better not to fake a personality because due to sheer number of rounds you might show different personalities and get caught.

Interview Question – Why Goldman Sachs, especially to technology division.   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2013.

Interview Details – the interview process included a 50 min aptitude test with 40 in of quant + coding ability. the test was above average questions and solving it in 40 in was near impossible. still managing to clear i entered the gd round. gd was based on current afair topics. tip: sit in the middle of the group that certainly draws attention and content matters more than your vocab or to hijack the gd. the interview round had various code segments for betterment error analysis and data structure algorithms.. it was a one day process and pretty high level

Interview Question – how would you connect a heap to a graph to a tree?? i ean what does that even mean?   Answer Question

Programmer Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – 5-6 rounds of interview, with at least one round from a global team(either NY/LN)

Interview Question – How do you find what port a java process is bound to from another java program?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, once offer is rolled out very difficult to negotiate

Analyst Programmer Interview

Analyst Programmer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Tell e about yourself, Risk management, problem solving, what do you know about GS

Interview Question – GS CEO, last quarterly result   Answer Question

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!