Goldman Sachs Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2015

3.8

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2015.

Interview

Went through 3 technical phone interviews. The questions were on basic statistics, programming (algorithms/C++) and financial concepts, nothing unexpected. There was nothing challenging, but no on-site interview was offered at the same time. Leaves you confused on what is the logic behind the process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First round written exam, 30 questions in 90 min, 10 math questions, 10 algo questions, 5 OS questions and 5 finance questions. The group was the financial institution group in investment banking department. The office is based in new york. Based on the exam questions and the person who delivered the exam, I believe they want to recruit someone who is strong in computer science.

Interview Questions

• Questions on probability, calculus, brainteasers, complexity of algorithms, UNIX basics and multi-threads.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

HR reached out through linkedin for credit quant position. Spoke first with HR where she explained the job and interview process. Then took 3-4 days to set up telephonic interview with hiring manager. Manager explained the role, day to day responsibilities and spoke on the products traded by the desk.

Interview Questions

• Toin coss problem. Expected number of tosses to first heads and some more variations on this problem.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2014.

Interview

I had some friends working there and I got a phone interview through them. I had just one phone interview so far. It was like a friendly chat about my background etc. I was also asked probability and coin toss questions. Starts fairly basic but gets tricky eventually. You get hints if you get stuck.

Interview Questions

• Probability and coin toss questions. I guess nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Basically all technical questions and very based on the classes the you have taken. Got questions about the definition of certain math concepts and certain theorems, some statistical regression technics based on my previous research experience and very related to finance, and some option and finance regression questions.

Interview Questions

• definition of uniformly continuous, which I learned a year ago and almost forgot   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Interview

Stopped the interview process as I had another offer which I accepted. The interview consisted of 4 rounds with a pre-selection via university resumes (10 of us got selected among the whole Columbia university pool, all from different programs / degrees). The first round was on-site, as a group, where we attended presentations. During the meetings, spontaneous interventions were encouraged (and actually monitored). 7 of us got contacted for more formal interviews over the phone (2 rounds) and in-person (1 round).

Interview Questions

• The technical questions were hard as expected. Besides the usual DB / programming questions, I mentioned my engineering background and got asked the following: "My wife drinks hot tea every night, she keeps blowing on it and stirring it even though I told her the contrary would be more efficient. Who is right?" I guess I shouldn't have mentioned my thermodynamics classes in grad...   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter, and a first-round interview was set up. The first interview was reasonably technical with a blend of synthetic derivative pricing and programming questions (OO concepts mainly). The second round of phone interviews were with two other members of the group, and consisted mostly of algorithm problems (e.g., Fisher-Yates), probability questions, and some open-ended research questions, mostly related to data mining and time-series analysis. There were several statistics questions as well, which were fairly simple in nature. This went well, and a third round of interviews was set up. At this point, I will say that I found it fairly unorthodox to have so many phone rounds (4 interviews in total). This next round of phone interviews was probably the most difficult simply because of a poor phone connection and the interviewer's accent. The interviewer was very nice, and also very thorough with respect to covering my resume - a significant portion of the discussion was devoted to some MBS modeling I had done as a quant intern some years ago. What came next is probably the most peculiar set of questions that I had experienced in that they were basically being read off a list. The main problem is that I guess several of the questions were miswritten or mis-worded in a way that didn't make sense (e.g., how much should you charge for a dice rolling game if you can roll an infinite number of times). As well as some off-the-wall CS questions, some of which had been repeated earlier. There were two obnoxious ones (XOR swap algorithm and Virtual constructors in C++ (trick question)). Finally, I was invited to a "super-day". These interviews were very behavioral in nature, with exception to some minor econometrics questions (relative tradeoffs between OLS, GLS, FGLS, for example). The final interview was with the MD and Hiring Manager, which went well, and they mentioned that the next step would be an offer. At this point, I filled out several forms for background checks and salary expectations. About a week later, I received a phone call from the recruiter who informed me that the division had placed a "hold" on the role, and that while I am at the top of the candidate list/offer pool, the division had entered a hiring freeze.

Interview Questions

• You call the home of a family w/ two children and a kid "billy" answers the phone. What is the probability that both children are boys? What is a virtual constructor in C++?   5 Answers

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Got a phone interview.. Ask some probability and programming questions

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

It's really tough. I've got a phone interview from a trader, and been asked a lot about trading and portfolio.

Interview Questions

• What should you pay attention to when you are trading   1 Answer
    • How to make prediction of portfolio   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter about the position. This was for a position in their Electronic Trading group. I went through two rounds of phone interviews. The first interviewer asked me 5-6 questions on probability, statistics, math, C++ and a brainteaser. A week later they requested a second phone interview. This guy grilled me on programming and general c++/OOP concepts. He asked me a fit question that I think I messed up. In the end, the decided that they didn't have a suitable position for me at the moment.

Interview Questions

• What is the expected value of tosses to get 3 heads in a row?   4 Answers
    • Why do you need virtual destructors?   1 Answer