Goldman Sachs Senior Analyst Developer Interview Questions & Reviews

3.6

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2010.

high tech questions about programming languages worked on. writing pusedo code on board. algorithmic questions and decrease runnign time on progams. puzzles involving maths. Behaviour interview followed up with written technical examination. phone screening with technical managers. And then why u want to join goldman

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2010.

The process basically entailed two phone interviews and two 4-6 hour in person interviews. The first phone interview was a very basic technical assessment where a guy was asking me about my experience, why I wanted to work for Goldman and in finance, and some basic Java questions. In *every single interview* I was asked "Why Goldman?" and "Why finance?" (I come from a non-finance background).

The second phone interview was more of a soft skills interview, where they asked about interpersonal skills. They asked me things like, "Can you explain a situation in which something went wrong on a project you were working on, and what you personally could have done better to prevent it from happening?" For most of these it's important to admit some amount of guilt, but nothing egregious, and explain how you learned from the experience and how you'd handle it now.

The first set of on-site interviews were four different 1-on-1 interviews. Three were technical and one was with a business analyst. The technical questions were relatively harmless -- Java questions from the very basics (talking about the collections framework etc.) to multi-threading, to some details about how hash tables work, to Java garbage collection, etc. Database questions about how indexing works, the datastructures used in indexing, basic SQL questions, etc. One guy grilled me pretty hard on past work experience, so be careful to know how to explain the items on your resume in a reasonable degree of detail.

The second set of on-site interviews was four more 1-on-1 interviews. Two were with managers and one was a technical VP who grilled me in more detail on technical things (mainly multi-threading, database transaction theory, and agile vs. waterfall methodologies). The last one was with the tech recruiting head.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how Java's garbage collection works from a high level. What different algorithms are there?   Answer Question
    • Sketch out a simple implementation for a hash table. What properties does the hash function need to have?   Answer Question
    • Tell me all the major players in the Java collections framework and the big-O runtime for insertion, deletion, and finding elements.   Answer Question
    You can't negotiate benefits or vacation. It's corporate standard, but not too bad (lots of bank holidays, great health benefits, and 3 weeks of vacation). You also won't get anything in writing on how much the bonus will be. The rest was relatively easy, since I went through a 3rd party recruiter -- he did it all for me. They make you fill out a form with past salary and bonus income. My recruiter and the Goldman tech recruiter both told me that Goldman almost always does lateral base salary offers at most, but I had two other potential gigs so I told them if they lowballed me I would be less inclined to accept an offer. I got a modest (~4%) increase in base salary, but my prior position didn't have bonuses so it could end up being significantly more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2010.

4 round of telephonic interviews followed by 3 rounds of in-person interviews

Interview Questions
    • Given a 4X4X4 cube made of 1X1X1 cubes. How many cubes make the surface of this cube   View Answers (3)
    I asked for more salary and they said they are already paying more than industry standards. Then I asked for joining bonus and they agreed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2010.

~10 rounds but you can have more or less. half of it is technical. For the Java dev groups they look for strong Core Java... what would stand out to them is to know that you have shown interest in looking through classes under the hood... be it collections/synchronization/DB interactions...

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember but i do suggest you read through GS Collections.. for the simple fact that it's awesome... and you would know what you are getting into!   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Two telephonic rounds : Questions related to Java, some design problems, some database questions and some coding problems. Difficulty was - easy to average.
    Three technical F2F rounds - Conceptual Java questions and easy SQL queries. Difficulty - easy to average.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing Difficult in particular. Good Behavioral questions asked in 1 round.   Answer Question

I declined the offer because salary offered was very low. It was very low for the position offered and also almost three-quarters of the salary which the current Goldman Sachs employees draw for this position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2011.

Takes 6-7 rounds. Initial 3-4 rounds focus highly on technical skills, which are taken by senior developers and technical architects. Last 2 rounds are taken by senior managers which try to determine attitude and communication skills. Goldman Sachs takes recruitment very seriously. Lot of time goes into discussions for any hiring any candidate. feedback from different people is taken to arrive at any decision. Goldman Sachs chooses its people very carefully. Interviewers try to determine, whether candidate strives for excellence and whether it can carry GS culture.

Interview Questions
    • How can two threads access a synchronized block simultaneuously i.e. one thread should give the chance for other thread to execute synchronized block even before this thread finishes the execution of the same synchronized block?   View Answers (2)
    They offer something, but don't negotiate usually. They arrive at a number based on lot on some criteria and don't change it unless you have any greater offer at hand.
    Compensation consists of : Fixed Salary + Discretionary Bonus.

Senior Analyst Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview process is good, I gone through 3 rounds.
    1st round was a technical with the Manger went fine.
     2nd round was good with a solution architect.
    3rd round was worst I suspect that They might have send a 3 to 4 years guy to interview a 6 to 7 years experienced guy. More over that guy was working in the production infrastructure management. this made me to answer bit aggressively.

Planning for the interview is good but took around 1 hr 30 min per round.

Office wise it doesn't look good, as the cubicles are structured to accommodate 4 people per row, there are no side walls between two members, I felt that might be most disturbing if the other colleague gets a call.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2011.

7-8 rounds....good technical questions on latest technologies

Interview Questions
    • explain why you chose the technology you mentioned..what alternatives could have been there   Answer Question
    no negotiation, they paid more than my expectaions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

On the dreaded "SuperDay" the process started with a written test with questions purely based on C# .net followed by 4 rounds of technical interviews. After a week had 2 rounds -1 managerial and 1 technical followed by a telephonic interview after couple of dats after which the final offer is made. All the interviewers are very friendly and will make you feel comfortable all through. Mostly the check the reasoning skills and how you approach the problem. You can always ask for any clues in case you are stuck somewhere and they would give you some pointers( at least worked for me).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a scenario where you have influenced your colleague?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, whatever they offer is final

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2011.

I attended walk-in (called Super day in Goldman Sachs) , 5 rounds of telephonic interview (break between each interview around 1-2 week) then 5 rounds of f2f on single day in Bangalore office. Finally everything went well and got offer after totally around 2 months.
    written interview were based on java, sql, aptitude, details of current project, previous projects deep understanding of software life cycle and problem solving skills

Couldn't get chance to negotiate as I got more than what I asked

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!