Goldman Sachs Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.7

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

Contacted for a phone interview. Was asked about java and my understanding of multithreading and concurrency. Was also asked 2 problem solving questions. This was the first interview. I was able to do well enough for a second. This interview was similar to the first but lasted longer. Asked about Java and problem solving questions.

Interview Questions

• Given an nxn matrix of numbers in ascending order in both dimensions how would you go about finding if the number y is in the matrix.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2010.

Interview

I had seven or eight phone interviews - all technical - with different Engineers and managers. Then I had interviews one day of 1:1 interviews in their offices in SLC.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No, there is little/no room for negotiation, their offer will be strongly based on your last compensation.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2010.

Interview

The resume is on core java and java threads. Then he switched to my resume and started asking about my contribution in each of the projects I listed in detail.
    It lasted for 40 mins. Then he said If I am shortlisted I will be called for a f2f interview.
    its been 2 weeks but haven't received any confirmation yet.

Interview Questions

• How to prevent livelocks in java threading   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

The interview consists of two main parts. The first is a skills assessment test. It was pretty straight forward, but not a lot of time to complete everything. The second part consists of interviews with three different people.

The questions asked at the interview primarily revolve around your experience and they finish with one or two problem type questions. Every single problem question revolved around algorithms with arrays, and not STL arrays. Just generic language independent algorithms to solve a problem.

I was disappointed with the interview process. The people there seem stressed out and are very focused. They also didn't know what position I was interviewing for or anything about it, so they couldn't answer any of my questions about it. Since they use a proprietary language, I was also told C++ wouldn't be useful either. When leaving the interview, expect to feel like you've been kicked out the door, very informal.

Interview Questions

• How do you find 2 missing elements in an array of consecutive integers that are not sorted who's size is N-2.   5 Answers
    • How do you calculate weighted averages?   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2009.

Interview

I was interviewed first via the phone and was asked pretty basic questions about Java Garbage collections and junit testing. After that had 4 1:1 30 minutes interviews and was asked questions which were more scenario based and also on optimization, performance management and general system architecture.
    But did not get an offer after 2 weeks wait time.

Interview Questions

• What is the concurrent mark-sweep alogirthm for garbage collection?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore (India)).

Interview

I had around 10 rounds of interview, four F2F and the remaining over the phone. Questions were from Data Structures , Design and projects. It was conducted over a span of a 10 days before I got an offer from them.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

got a call from GMS through online forums. There was a written round which had two types question sets. One was analytical and other was for c#. both objective. After clearing the written test, there was technical interview where they asked mostly on c# since that was my past experience. After that a manager round where they asked about my previous work and projects. i was told that once they discus and decide for which position they thought i suited they ll call me again for another 5-6 rounds of technical interviews Since then no response...

Interview Questions

• stored procedures have better performance than functions .. because stored procedures are compiled and stored at server side.. then he asked me about execution of storage procedure.. but guess it was just to check how much in depth i know about it...   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore (India)) in March 2012.

Interview

Interview process started positively. There were 5 telephonic discussion before they request me fly to Bangalore for further F2F rounds. All telephonic rounds were mostly technical in nature. Questions varied from design aspects to problem solving skills. F2F rounds went also good and it took 5 hrs time for in-campus rounds. After F2F there were also few more telephonic discussion with VP-Tech. I was told in 16th round that it is final deciding round and after that interview i was positive about the offer, but HR personnel again called and asked me for one more telephonic interview with another VP.

Overall, whole process was time consuming in big way. The main problem is, i was asked to bear all spending to travel to Bangalore which will be reimbursed later. But, HR personnel is completely unmoved, even after 4 weeks has passed to my travel to Bangalore and with repeated request for reimbursement via mail. I was told that things are positive but now there is no reply on follow-up mails since last two weeks. It was a huge loss of my money and time. For others good techies, i will advise you think twice interviewing goldman for the work in proprietary language, which outside world has no regard.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2011.

Interview

Started with a round of phone interviews. Followed by a full day of one-on-one interviews. I had expected the one-on-one interviews to take place in person, but most of them were conducted over phone in a conference room. This surprised me.

I thought all the interviews were good. I especially enjoyed interviewing with the department VP, who asked some very probing questions.

I ultimately decided to not purse further interviews for personal reasons. Goldman is a high-intensity company, more or less requiring 60 hours each week. This is not something I'm interested in at this stage of my career. If not for this, I would have gladly continued with the process.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in May 2010.

Interview

I had a 'super-day' style interview, where I remained in one room, and a series of GS people came to interview me in turns. The themes to the interviews were: technical skills and experience, problem solving and analytical thinking, and GS fit.

Everyone I saw was very positiive about GS and what it had to offer.

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm to rotate a node of a binary tree.   2 Answers