Goldman Sachs

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2010.

They gave a cut off of 75% and so i signed up,

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2011.

Be yourself and do not fall into the trap of provocation

Interview Questions
    • Assuming you have a large cube shaped by small cubes together, their number is 1000
      How many cubes will be visible?

View Answers (4)

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2008.

I had an initial phone interview which covered some very specific questions regarding design patterns, principles and testing methodologies. During the phone interview I was also asked a brainteaser which was very difficult and the interviewer did in fact say that nobody ever solves it. It was more to get an idea of how you would solve a problem.

I didn't think it went well, but got asked to attend a face to face interview. Actually, it turned out to be three face to face interviews. Firstly, a technical guy asking lots of questions about previous architecture and design experience and implementations. Also, some SQL questions relating to index (Clustered, non-clustered) that sort of thing.

Secondly, met with a potential member of the team that I would be working with. This was the most pleasant interview of the lot as it wasn't as in your face and trying to grill you.

Thirdly, the manager overseeing the EU/ Asia development teams. Again, someone who wanted to discredit everything you say with his superior knowledge and experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about designing a car?   Answer Question
    • Clustered, non- clustered indexes in sql server architecture   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2011.

Interesting thorough. The first two phone screens were back to back and focused on basic Java , database, unix quesitons. There were also open ended questions about your problem solving skills and performance tuning questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2010.

There was a tel phone interview initially. After that I was called for an in-person interview - (5 rounds).

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2008.

There was an initial IQ and basic algorithms test. this part was outsourced to another company who administerred this test. It was a very general test and was not particularly tuned for that particular company. CVs were also asked for but that was just for the GPA.

There was a group interview after this intiial selection stage and it was filter based. Group interview went very well and it almost got me the job. After that there were two technical interviews all of which were on a 1:1 basis. Some basic C++ and some algo type of questions were asked. There was an HR round. By this time they had already decided to take me , so it was smooth sailing.

Went to grad school

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2009.

Three very friendly interviewer asked questions about projects and technology.
    Some of the questions:
    - Given hour and minute, write a function to calculate an angle between hour/minute hand.
    - How to reverse linked list
    - How would you design instant messaging software.

Interview Questions
    • Find depth of the binary tree?
      How would you insert an element in sorted array

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2009.

Was contacted on LinkedIn to fill position in software development group focused on trade optimization strategies. Extremely high skillset in group, very "algorithmically literate" with a focus on functional programming, mathematics, highly parallel computation.

The compensation plan for developers is similar to that of traders: a small base (by New York standards), with a very significant variable bonus.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the basics of the lambda calculus and type theory underlying languages such as Lisp and Haskell.   View Answer
    • Write a program which performs Newton's Method to approximate the root of an arbitrary function.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2010.

I saw three people: one for a logic problem / analytical thinking test, another for a C++ technical test, and a third for a review of my CV.

The first two sessions went really well, the third was a disaster. I was asked the same question repeatedly, despite my making clear that the answer required in-depth business knowledge that I never claimed to have. I said I was ready and willing to learn, but I couldn't give answers off the top of my head on a subject about which I know little, that others have spent a university career learning.

Most of the people I met (on this and other occasions) were great to meet - this last guy was on an ego trip and ruined my opinion of his firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2010.

You are expected to have solid programming and database knowledge. They test you most on your logical thinking skills. I also had a few algorithm questions and was asked to write pseudo-code for the same. Overall, it was a difficult but fruitful experience.