Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 8, 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Was flown to NY, had a 3-4 hour interview with more than 5 people. Been in the industry a few years already, and the questions ranged from the pretty easy to the impossibly hard. As a general rule, if it's on your resume, they're expecting you to know the material cold. Bonus points for being able to explain the material coherently. If it's not on your resume, they didn't seem to get bothered when replying that you weren't sure.

While this was the most difficult interview I've ever had, it definitely wasn't easy. The interviewers all seemed to genuinely love working for Goldman, and honestly acknowledged the workload is not as easy as a 9-5, which was a big sell to me. Seemed that all the interviewers genuinely loved working with their coworkers, which is something I had never seen before.

Interview Questions

• Write a sorting algorithm out by hand   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Difficult as it was more on Concurrency and Multi Threading. Also not much scope to try out various appraoches in solving a problem and hence getting on the right thing was difficult

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)).

Interview

2 stages of interviews. Each stage consists of 3 sets of interviews. Mostly interviewing with the team you are applying for. It was fairly quick process. A week to get a call from HR, a week to set up the first stage of interview. They proceeded with the next stage and it was a week after. In a week, they told me their decision.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions related to experiences I listed on my resume   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Chennai (India)) in January 2013.

Interview

One written Round followed by three face to face interview rounds. It was good overall interview. And also the interviewers were very helpful and nice. They also asked challenging questions and helped.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2015.

Interview

Got a call via a staffing agency. There were around 200 candidates.
    First round was written test: Java objective questions, 3 Programming questions.
    Short listed candidates were called for the next round.

Interview Questions

• Objective questions in Java: threads, collections, generics   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore (India)) in March 2015.

Interview

It's for software development position, Initial screening based on Written test ,next 2 technical rounds , and HR,
    Written test is on Algorithms ,Data structures, and Java concepts.
    Its not very f]difficult can easily clear

Interview Questions

• Written Test on algorithms,data structures, multithrading   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Bangalore (India)) in January 2015.

Interview

Telephonic interview round was arranged through consultant. Job description mentioned strong java developer and multithreading expert. They were not looking for any frameworks. I got a call on time and they person was friendly. He explained interview process will be for 35 mins and last 5 mins I can ask questions if any. The level of interview was quite high despite of my little experience. But overall good learning experience. Not sure if I will get a call though.

Interview Questions

• How to make immutable object   Answer Question
    • How to identify intersection point of two LinkedList?   Answer Question
    • How to inherit methods from two classes in a third class?   Answer Question
    • How to pass variable from one thread to other?   Answer Question
    • What is 'final' keyword in java? Also a program to demonstrate how final objects can be modified .   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in October 2014.

Interview

I got the interview across campus career website. There are two rounds of interview totally, one is on campus and one is on site. Each round also includes two mini rounds. The first round is 1 on 1 and the second round is 2 on 1. In the first round, you are asked to talk about some basic computer science knowledge, like multi-thread and Internet protocols. The second round involves more technical questions, most are algorithms and data structures.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Two rounds: one on campus consisting of two back to back 30 minute interviews and one on site consisting of two back to back 30 minute interviews. For each round, the first 30 minute interview was behavioral + technical and the second was purely technical

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I gave my resume at a career fair. Received a call for an on campus interview. The interview was quite simple and required basic data structures questions. Asked some java questions.