Goldman Sachs

Goldman Sachs Software Engineer Interview Questions in London, England

4.0

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2012.

I had about 8 interviews. No kidding

Interview Questions
  • You are given two eggs, and access to a 100-storey building. Both eggs are identical. The aim is to find out the highest floor from which an egg will not break when dropped out of a window from that floor. If an egg is dropped and does not break, it is undamaged and can be dropped again. However, once an egg is broken, that’s it for that egg.

If an egg breaks when dropped from floor n, then it would also have broken from any floor above that. If an egg survives a fall, then it will survive any fall shorter than that.

The question is: What strategy should you adopt to minimize the number egg drops it takes to find the solution?. (And what is the worst case for the number of drops it will take?)

View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2011.

Be yourself and do not fall into the trap of provocation

Interview Questions
    • Assuming you have a large cube shaped by small cubes together, their number is 1000
      How many cubes will be visible?

View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2010.

I saw three people: one for a logic problem / analytical thinking test, another for a C++ technical test, and a third for a review of my CV.

The first two sessions went really well, the third was a disaster. I was asked the same question repeatedly, despite my making clear that the answer required in-depth business knowledge that I never claimed to have. I said I was ready and willing to learn, but I couldn't give answers off the top of my head on a subject about which I know little, that others have spent a university career learning.

Most of the people I met (on this and other occasions) were great to meet - this last guy was on an ego trip and ruined my opinion of his firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2008.

I had an initial phone interview which covered some very specific questions regarding design patterns, principles and testing methodologies. During the phone interview I was also asked a brainteaser which was very difficult and the interviewer did in fact say that nobody ever solves it. It was more to get an idea of how you would solve a problem.

I didn't think it went well, but got asked to attend a face to face interview. Actually, it turned out to be three face to face interviews. Firstly, a technical guy asking lots of questions about previous architecture and design experience and implementations. Also, some SQL questions relating to index (Clustered, non-clustered) that sort of thing.

Secondly, met with a potential member of the team that I would be working with. This was the most pleasant interview of the lot as it wasn't as in your face and trying to grill you.

Thirdly, the manager overseeing the EU/ Asia development teams. Again, someone who wanted to discredit everything you say with his superior knowledge and experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about designing a car?   Answer Question
    • Clustered, non- clustered indexes in sql server architecture   View Answer