Goldman Sachs

Updated Nov 17, 2014

3.2

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Strategist Interview

It is on campus recruitment. The first interview was taken in school. It is an one to one interview, interviewee is phd in applied mathematics, also strat from global portfolio team. Interview questions vary from people to people, depending on your backgrounds.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Strategist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2014.

I submitted the application through my college website and have an interview on campus. They ask me coding and brain teaser questions. It was hard since I have few coding background.

Strategist Interview

Two rounds of phone interviews and an full-day on-site

Interview Questions
    • Regular brain teasers. They seemed to be very fond of asking questions on algorithms in particular. Nothing particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Strategist Interview

One round of phone interview and then one day of interviews with group members in the office.

Interview Questions
    • Expect alot of probablity and statistics questions. Also alot of brain teasers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2013.

3 phone interviews, 2 onsites

Interview Questions
    • Definition of Levy process, probability space   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2011.

Received the call from the interviewer after applying online. Interview consisted of the interviewer telling me a bit about the group. Asked me about my PhD program and my research (the interviewer had researched a similar topic when he was in graduate school). Asked one programming questions, one probability questions, and finished with one finance question.

Interview Questions
    • He asked about my programming experience and I told him it was still at the beginnings of object oriented programming. Asked me to discuss encapsulation and polymorphism (and wasn't happy at all with my answers).   Answer Question
    • Suppose you toss a fair coin 400 times. What is the probability that you get at least 220 heads? Round your answer to the nearest percent.   View Answers (7)
    • Suppose you have three call options on the market, with strikes 10, 20, and 30. Suppose the call option with strike 10 costs $12, the call option with strike 20 costs $7, and the call option with strike 30 costs $1. Does there exist an arbitrage opportunity?   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2011.

Submitted the resume on the website. After about 2 months got an email from HR they would do a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 1 hour. The interviewer briefly introduced the group and asked many technical questions, which included programming, math finance, brain teaser and behavioral questions as well.

Interview Questions
    • The programming question required one be very familiar with tree and graph. I was surprised since it was not a software engineering position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2010.

Recently received an email from the recruiter. Just a phone interview. I talked to a Russian guy. His English was difficult to understand. It took me a few minutes to understand what he was really talking about. He first introduced the job functions and then asked me 3 questions. The first was about data structure and algorithm; the second was about implied forward rate and the third was a probability problem.

Interview Questions
    • How to find the deepest child in a binomial tree.   Answer Question
    • A 2 year bond, yield 6%. A 1 year bond, yield 4%. What's the implied rate for the bond that starts one year from now?   View Answer
    • 10 people of different ages sitting around a table. What's the probability of sitting in an age-ascending order?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2010.

recruiter manage submit resume, arrange interview for interviewer all over the world. Gone through several round eventually got a short on-site.

Interview Questions
    • stochastic calculus questions, probability question, brain teasers   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2009.

I was contacted by a software engineer from the core strategies group through a recruiter. This was an initial screening, so the questions were quite basic, some HR like why would you like to work here, where do you see you self in 3 -4 years, resume walk through, finally ended with two technical questions, one was on data structures, how would you efficiently store last 10 ticks of stock data and the other was what is maximum likelihood estimation

Interview Questions
    • how would you efficiently store last 10 ticks of stock data   View Answer
    • what is maximum likelihood estimation, does it always exist and is it unique   Answer Question