Goldman Sachs

Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.2

235 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied for one of the Strats Summer Analyst seats.

The process started with a resume/application screen, presumably. I was notified quite soon after that I was to go through a phone screen/interview. Spoke with the interviewer about myself for about half an hour and was asked multiple programming, probability, and statistics based technical questions. Then we spoke on market conditions and the general direction of change in the Strats' roles at Goldman for another half an hour.

I attended a few recruitment seminars at my school. I don't think that they helped during the recruitment process except to prove to me that Goldman was at least worth doing a Summer Analyst position at.

Then I was scheduled for one of the Strats Superdays. There were a number of standard interviews, nothing surprising. Lots of technical questions similar to the previous ones. After the second round they cut more people and I was invited for the final round of interviews. These were less technical than the previous interviews and seemed more as though they were determining whether I'd be a good fit for the team.

Interview Questions
  • Almost word for word: "You start at a point on a circle with N points around it, and you move around the circle, skipping k points at a time. Tell me everything of interest about this setup"   View Answer
  • Given a basket of 5 independent stocks where the probability density function for the daily change in price of each stock is described by an N(0,1) distribution, determine the PDF of the entire basket.   View Answer
No room to negotiate because it is a Summer Analyst opportunity.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied through my school's career website, received a request to do two phone screens with current analysts. After the interviews, which were mostly behavioral I was asked to fly out for a super day which has not happened yet. Questions were relatively easy.

Interview Questions
    • Asked whether or not I agreed with the price drop in oil and how I would trade comapnies involved in the industry.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I received my informational interview through the recruiting process at my business school, one of Goldman's core schools. After applying about 50 students or so received an informational interview. I received an invitation to first round interviews, which are yet to happen.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked me to what different multiples I would use for different type of companies.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Very professional but a little cold. Pushed technicals pretty hard. Standard IBanking checklist of questions, behavioral questions were very much standard without any real surprises. I don't really know what to say beyond that.

Interview Questions
    • Seemed to push back pretty hard if there was uncertainty in technical responses.   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied through school, heard back about an interview within a week and had first round interview the week after. Recruiting for summer positions began in late October which is normally unusual for banks. Has a 1 v 2 interview with an Associate and a VP. Interviewers were very nice, especially considering I thought I would get interviewed by a jaded analyst.

Interview Questions
    • Had previous banking experience so all questions were centered around that. Mostly 1) walk me through a deal you worked on, 2) why did this multiple make sense to you?, 3) how did the company's multiples compared with precedent transactions?, and other questions of the sort   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied online, got phone interview invitation 4 weeks later. First phone interview was an associate, ask some fit question, and valuation basics: DCF, Comparable, Precedent Transaction, LBO. And I was told there will be another phone interview, and the interviewer will contact me. But nobody contacted me in like 2 weeks. So I sent an email, and got a reply several days later. Interviewed by a person in France time zone. Asked same questions.

Interview Questions
    • Some fit question, and valuation basics: DCF, Comparable, Precedent Transaction, LBO   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Applied through school career fair and got response a week later. Then a phone interview was scheduled. The interview was pretty nice and he first went over my resume, and later we did some Brian storm. They want you to know probability and statistics, but some intuition and insight points is enough..

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

On-campus interview for summer internship in Operations department. Two 2-on-1 interviews back to back, pretty standard behavioral/resume questions. Only one round of interviews, then straight to offer. Whole thing lasted about 40 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied for the summer analyst internship program in investment management division. About 2 months later heard back from them to schedule for a phone interview. The interview was conducted as a conference call. About 30-40 minutes. Asked mostly fit questions and 3 or 4 of them were about general understanding about the stock market.

Interview Questions
    • Who is the chairman of federal reserve? Where is the SP500 at?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

Diversity recruiting. Flew up for first round that was all behavioral. Invited back for superday 3 back to back interviews, mostly fit/behavioral as well. Overall was a nice process, hr was always friendly