Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
202 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I easily had 7+ interviews. My original interview was on-campus at the university I attend. A lot of it was pretty unorganized. When I received callback interviews, I was informed of the interview less than a week in advance (which was difficult since most of my interviews were in NYC and I was 4+ hours away from NYC and still had class). All of my expenses were paid, however. Which was pretty cool.

Interview Question – Something having to do with matrices and QR.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had decent qualifications to be employed in the tech industry. The tech industry pays better, has way better fringe benefits (i.e. flexible hours, way less hours, no pressure to work on the weekends) and it seemed to be easy to make the transition from tech to finance if I later decided I wanted that.

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through OCR and also had an employee who referred me to HCM. About a month later, I was notified that I was selected for a first round phone interview. Overall, the interview was very conversational and the interviewer (a VP) was engaging and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me as a person. Didn't make it to superday.

Interview Question – How do you measure social impact?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Had an on campus interview with 2 interviewers. Contacted me two days later saying I was moving on to the next round of interviews, but once I was contacted again 3+ weeks later they said they had already hired their summer analysts (finance) for the year.

Interview Question – Mostly fit questions. Asked to explain the markets.   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details – Process took 4 months. Had a dinner night before the interview with interviewers. After that, two on campus interviews back to back of 2 on 1. Unfortunately I don't think one of the senior interviewers liked my answer to one of the questions, I'll include the question below. Be very thorough as it appears one wrong question could get you kicked.
Overall, good experience but had to wait until 2 months after interview to find out I hadn't been selected. Definitely interview with some other places in that time as well.

Interview Question – If a trader comes to you with a trade that he wants you to do immediately, but you need to go through the appropriate means to make sure its good for the company, what do you do?   View Answer

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – Initial- 2 first round interviews on campus. Superday- First Round- 2on1...Final Round- 3 2on1's

Interview Question – How would you value a start-up company with no revenues yet.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2013.

Interview Details – Process took 2 weeks. Interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2013. Nine interviews. They got back with me in a week. Was very impressed with the structure of the super day and the general kindness of everyone there. I left with great respect for the firm.

Interview Question – Basic technical questions. What is polymorphism? How would you design a program that does ______? Draw the layout of the design of a past project.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – Was on campus interview. Not too tough. Mostly fit but a few "check the box" technicals to make sure I at least knew my stuff a little.

Interview Question – There weren't any difficult questions. Pretty simple   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Operations Analyst position. Questions were all behavioral and it really depends on your interviewer. Two back to back interviews on campus. I am an engineer so I was actually asked to debate about the shale boom with one of my interviewers.

Interview Question – Who is someone you hate?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Applied online through campus recruiting. Received interview invitation within a few days. Interview was a week later. Interview was 100% fit questions (why banking? why goldman?). Some questioning on how I deal with difficulties and a time I didn't perform well on a deliverable and a time I had to mentor someone through a difficulty.
Five days later was notified they would not be proceeding with my application.

Interview Question – Tell about a time you failed on an assignment.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – I got a phone interview and did not pass the statistic test.

Interview Question – Conditional Probability question   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Goldman Sachs

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!

Goldman Sachs Videos

Goldman Sachs – Why Work for Us?

We bring together people, capital and ideas to produce solutions and results for our clients by playing a number of roles: financial advisor, lender, investor and asset manager. A commitment to integrity, team work and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goldman Sachs Summer Analyst interview questions and advice. All 202 interview reviews posted anonymously by Goldman Sachs employees and interview candidates.