Goldman Sachs

Updated Nov 15, 2014

3.2

229 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Summer Analyst Interview

I went through 10 interviews. The first one was on site at my university campus. Typical behavioral interview. Pretty much to see if you are a likable person, and have a minimum level of technical competency. The other 9 interviews were back to back, in New York City. Very diverse interviewers... very different interviews every time. They will expect you to know about things you have on your resumé (should be a given, but yeah).

Interview Questions
  • The most difficult question wasn't difficult because it was necessarily a hard question, but because the interviewer had a cold, emotionless expression the entire time. It was impossible to read her. Makes you doubt whether or not she found your answer adequate.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

PWM

Interview Questions
    • Walk me a through a recent issue our firm has gone through.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Sent resume to a campus recruiter, was selected for an on campus interview. The interview process consisted of two back to back 30 minute interviews. One was with two people and was mostly behavioral, the other was with one person and it was heavily technical. Since I am a finance student they expected a lot more knowledge of investment banking than any college student would know unless they had been studying investment banking concepts for months ahead of time. The interview was overall a good experience for me because now every other interview I have seems incredibly easy compared to this one! Also the interviewers were very nice and seemed to care about what I had to say, but I knew coming out of the interview I would definitely not be getting another one.

Interview Questions
    • How many grocery stores are in the United States?
      How do you value a company? Examples...
      Other technical questions
        View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

Submitted Application -> Online Test (Didn't do really well) -> Phone Interview (30mins, talking about resume then answered a bunch of technical questions) -> On-site Interview(4*30mins, 1to1, group) -> Got Offer -> Background Check...

Accepted immediately

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First was a written round with questions mainly to test your quantitative aptitude-questions ranged from very easy-medium. Next was an essay writing test. Both are easy to crack but fastness and accuracy matters. Third round was group discussion.Don't try to be dominant- remember this is a group discussion and not a debate- support or constructively oppose your team members. Two in each group of about 10 people went through. Next was a 2 on 1 interview- with questions ranging from simple HR to basic finance and little bit of your subject domain. Don't try to bluff the interviewer saying that you are well versed in the finance world- especially to people coming from the engineering background- just an interest and zeal to learn is sufficient to get through. The final interview was a 1 on 1 with the vice president. They were mostly personality based questions like- Give an example of a situation which proved your leadership skills etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2013.

There was a Phone interview, as well as back-to-back in-person interviews with two employees in each interview. With the in-person interviews, the groups interviewing were increasingly senior with each interview, as well as increasingly hard to impress. Expect each interview to get harder and harder, although this is a good way of working your way up to the final interview and getting warmed up rather than doing it right away. Amazing company to work for, and even more amazing people to work with!

Interview Questions
    • What is your opinion on the Fed continuing QE3 this last September meeting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied for the summer analyst internship program in investment management division. About 2 months later heard back from them to schedule for a phone interview. The interview was conducted as a conference call. About 30-40 minutes. Asked mostly fit questions and 3 or 4 of them were about general understanding about the stock market.

Interview Questions
    • Who is the chairman of federal reserve? Where is the SP500 at?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

VC for first two rounds and then onsite superday.

Decided to join GSAM

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Applied through OCR and also had an employee who referred me to HCM. About a month later, I was notified that I was selected for a first round phone interview. Overall, the interview was very conversational and the interviewer (a VP) was engaging and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me as a person. Didn't make it to superday.

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I easily had 7+ interviews. My original interview was on-campus at the university I attend. A lot of it was pretty unorganized. When I received callback interviews, I was informed of the interview less than a week in advance (which was difficult since most of my interviews were in NYC and I was 4+ hours away from NYC and still had class). All of my expenses were paid, however. Which was pretty cool.

Interview Questions

I had decent qualifications to be employed in the tech industry. The tech industry pays better, has way better fringe benefits (i.e. flexible hours, way less hours, no pressure to work on the weekends) and it seemed to be easy to make the transition from tech to finance if I later decided I wanted that.