Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
202 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details – We had first rounds interviews on campus so that alumni could see who they wanted to send to superday, as I believe they are allowed to send a limited number. The superday was in Jersey City. One interview in the morning for 30 minutes, which was all fit and low pressure. Then we waited to see if we were called back for an additional 3 interviews in the afternoon. 2 of these were all fit, while one was relatively technical, but studying the WSO guide should be enough.

Interview Question – Tell me about a that you failed and weren't able to fix it?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

Interview Details – PWM

Interview Question – Walk me a through a recent issue our firm has gone through.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – The first interview is "fit" style - be prepared to answer questions about anything on your resume, challenges you have faced/overcome, leadership examples, and examples of things you like to do for "fun." Be strategic with that one.

Second round interview asked a few fit questions but was mostly technical- testing knowledge of the markets (for a markets-facing position)

Interview Question – Brainteasers - look up online before the interview and practice mental math   Answer Question

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – College interview at school

Interview Question – If you were expected to hand in a project tomorrow and one person failed so the project will not be finished on time, what would you do? Note: no one else has time to finish the project   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2013.

Interview Details – Emailed about a phone interview in mid-December after applying in early October. Interviewed a week later. Spoke to an investor relations analyst although I applied for an "Operations or Executive Office Summer Analyst" position. The interview was a half-hour long behavioral interview. We discussed my past experiences and I explained my research as I would to a non-expert.

Interview Question – What are three of your strengths and three of your weaknesses? Explain.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – Phone interview with human resources led to an on site superday. Superday consisted of three interviews, each interviewer seemed most interested in why I was interested in finance instead of what I knew. One interviewer kept texting during the interview which was rude and distracting...may have been intentional. Otherwise, no one tried to upset me or test my emotional reactions in any way.

Interview Question – What do you like to do for fun?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they get angry if you dont immediately accept

Summer Analyst

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I applied last minute the the SLC Diversity day at Goldman, and was accepted a few days later via e-mail. After booking I was brought to the HQ with about 20 other students. We were spoken to by several current employees, had a mixer lunch and learned about the company and its corporate culture. The next day we went went in for interviews, I interviewed with three different departments, Operation Investment Management, and Credit Risk. It was 2on1 interviews, mostly behavioral questions and resume questions. Some market-based questions were asked, but it was all very casual. I was accepted by one department a month afterwards, and am still going through the interviewing process with the other two departments.

Interview Question – What was a situation in which you were faced with an ethical dilemma, and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Yes to one and still in the process for the others

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Applied online though my university's career services website. Received an interview at my university. There were two people interviewing me, presumably from two different technology departments. Fairly friendly.

Interview Question – What are some challenges you've faced in technology?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Phone interview was mostly behavioral questions. It was 30 min. Questions included Walk through resume. Teamwork. Difficulty. Strengthens and weaknesses. Ethical dilemma and so on. There were one or two easy technical questions. Nothing unexpected. Interviewer was nice.

Interview Question – Weaknesses   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2013.

Interview Details – I had an on-campus interview, then was invited to an on-site interview that took up most of the day. Some people had four interviews, I only had two (depends on how many departments are considering you). Breakfast and lunch are provided. After I received an offer, I didn't get much communication from then until shortly before I was supposed to begin the internship. So no contact for a few months. This is in contrast to companies that I've interviewed with since then, where they make sure to stay in contact and answer any further questions I have.

Interview Question – The questions they asked me were pretty elementary (what is the difference between an object and a class e.g.).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. I was an intern.