Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
28 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online in early December, got an email 3 weeks later saying 1st round interviews will be scheduled. Heard back only in late January (so don't panic if it takes ages for them to get back to you...). 1st round interviews included 2 half hour sessions with two interviewers at a time, asking mostly behavioural questions and about past experience, skills, etc. A lot of 'tell me about an experience where you've had to show leadership/creativity' etc. Heard back after a long while, 3 weeks maybe. 2nd round interviews included 2 one-on-one sessions, same sort of interview, only this time I was also asked about specific roles/divisions I'd be interested in. Final interview was a more informal group meeting with a VP and another interviewee, asking what we look forward to, what we fear the most, what role we'd be most interested in. Only heard back after emailing a follow up email, 5 weeks later.

Interview Question – Describe one of your hobbies as if you are talking to a person who has never heard of it before.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Applied online in November 2013. Heard back about first round interview at the end of January. First round interview consisted of firstly an interview about an Analytical Thinking Exercise we were given when we arrived and then a competency based interview. Both interviews lasted 30 minutes. Heard back a few days later about the second round interview. It consisted of 3 30 minute interviews which were a mix of technical and competency baed questions. Waiting to hear back.

Interview Question – Where d o you see yourself in this company?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I applied in December, was called for my first interview fairly quickly. This was a one on one 30 min interview, purely fit 'talk me through your CV'. I had to wait nearly three weeks until they got back to me, I was invited to the final round which was three thirty minute interviews, a mix between fit and technical.

Interview Question – Unusual brain teaser   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied in October, interviewed in January, mainly competency based, nothing special, remember to keep up to date with financial news. The questions may varied depends on your past experiences, nothing unexpected. 1:2 interviews, they are nice.

Interview Question – Tell me some recent financial news   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online in November. Got asked to come for first round interview (one 30 minute interview, 2:1) in first week of December. Heard back the next day and got asked to come back for second-round interview (3 back to back 30 minute interviews, 2:1) the next week. Heard back 9 days after my second-round interviews with an offer.

Interviewers were very friendly and the process was relaxed. First round interview was with two people who were relatively new to the company. Second-round involved more senior employees/managers, etc.

Interview Question – Loads of teamwork, communication, leadership questions. No technical questions but you need to know what Operations does, why Operations, why Goldman Sachs, etc. If you have good answers to these competency questions, you'll be fine.

They also like to see how you respond to mistakes/failures/difficult situations or customers, etc.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Accepted offer straight up.

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – I am not yet to receive an official offer but got thorugh the first round interview with Goldman Sachs in the beginning of Dec. The whole process so far is about 5 weeks after I submited my application form.
Opening question in the first interview is very common: Why GS? Why the division you applied for? Other questions are all competency based like team working, problem solving, leadership etc.
Interviewers are very friendly and totally make you feel at ease. They gave a lot of information when I asked them at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – Give me an example of I time you made a mistake   View Answer

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Interview Details – Online application. First round consists of a small analytical exercise which you need to produce solutions for and present these solutions to an interviewer. Afterwards you will have a competency based interview as well. In the final stage, there are 3 competency based interviews, one of which is a bit more technical than the others.

Interview Question – Difference between Java 6 and 7.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Applied thorough online career website. After a month received an e-mail concerning arranging time slot for a phone interview. After a week of phone interview, received another e-mail concerning trip to London( Date was set but time of the interview is up to me). Final round was involving 3 interviews. It lasted approximately 5 hours.

Interview Question – Went thorough 3 one on one interviews. All started with Resume talks and Goldman Sachs related questions( Whats it market capitalization of Goldman Sachs as of Today, etc..). All asked technical questions on M&A valuations. In one interview with MD,i was asked to analyze a case similar to consultancy cases but with lots of confusing numbers involved. In every interview, my mathematical skills were tested.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Interview Details – Very friendly interviewers. They seemed like they were rooting for you and hoping that you would succeed rather than looking for a reason to throw you out!
Since I go to school outside of the UK my first interview was over the phone. Very straightforward, I got asked the big three; Why you?, Why GS?, Why IBD?. Know your CV and be prepared to tall your story and you'll be fine.
Second round was three 30min interviews. Once again rather straightforward, little to no technical questions. I did have a few brainteasers though.

Interview Question – If a copper company had wrapped a ribbon of copper all the way around the earth and then they had to raise it up by 1m at every point how much more copper would they need?   View Answer

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2013.

Interview Details – The first round interview focused on commercial awareness (i.e do you read the FT and do you understand the deals GS are involved in) and a few standard technicals (e.g How would you value a tech company? How do you construct and analyse a DCF?).

Second round comprised of 3*30mins interviews - one fit, one technical, and one with a MD - in my opinion, the key to these interviews is to show that you are passionate about the role and fit with the Goldman culture (team working, quick learning, and client focused). Also, know your CV inside out and be prepared to think on your feet, the interviewers will throw some curveballs at you to see how you react.

I was very impressed by the whole process - the HR team were great and the interviewers were genuinely interested and impressive.

Interview Question – Read the vaults guide to finance interviews.   Answer Question

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!