Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – First round interview was on campus, I was asked a lot of personality question, and really basic programming questions about inheritance, polymorphism, and school projects. Know everything on your resume really well, because they will ask a lot of details on it. About a week later was asked to go to New York for second round. You can get called back to 1-4 groups. Each group has 2-3 people interview for a total of 1 1/2 hours. Lots of brain teasers, and a few simple java programs. Second round had no behavioral questions really. Some of the interviewers can be really intense while others are helpful.

Interview Question – 1) What is the sum of n numbers?
2) reverse a linked list
3) What is polymorphism and inheritance?
  Answer Question

Jersey City, NJ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview with two members of the team. Pretty basic, described the position. They were most concerned with gauging interest. Goldman flew me down to NYC. Was little bit of a hassle because they flew me into JFK even though my interview was in Jersey City (but hey, they are goldman they can do that). During face to face Super Day 4 back to back interviews. I was given my offer the next day and I accepted. Questions were not all that difficult, be confident. It was a little awkward that you get to meet all other candidates before the interviews.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult task you've faced in the workplace?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Goldman does not negotiate

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

Interview Details – The on-site interview took a day. Three departments and three interviews for each department.

Interview Question – Nothing much.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

Interview Details – emailed me first and set serveral time slot for telephone interview.
Asked both technical and general questions, the qeustions are very jump, it seems they didn't well prepared for the interview. Not a very good experience.

Interview Question – Describe a project you've done before, and give the detail. But I can't remember too much.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Don't like the job the offered to me.

New York, NY

Interview Details – I had an on-campus interview, it was 2 vs 1, very nice, no tech questions, simply go through my resume. Then a week later, I was invited to the super day, 8-9 interviews for 3 group, questions about java language, like interface and abstract class, Database design and again, questions about your resume. The only thing that bothered me is that, I want to drink a ton of water before I want to say another word. Just kidding, the interviewers were really nice and they asked me if I need several minutes to rest and drink water. People in GS were also really nice, for the first interview, I got lost in their building, a gentleman helped me find the place I need to go and encourage me, "buddy, just smile and be confident, you can do that!"

Interview Question – Not really, all classical problems about java and database, go through glassdoor or careercup and you will be OK.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They telephoned you,

Technical Analyst

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I had one phone scheduled with VP followed by in person interview at Goldman Sachs New York Headquarters. First Phone was about 20 mins and we went over details about current job, work done in the past and he was more interested in knowing about my Agile/Scrum capabilities.

In person round was technical in nature, i have 5 people interviewed me including VP Manager of the team. Here was the areas each covered.

1st Person : Algorithms and Data Structures, asked about how to find particular word in an array of million words, what is the best way to get word out of that million words array, what is the run time complexities, also discussed about different architecture they are planning to put in place for their platform.

2nd Person : Quick Chat covering standard Java Interview Questions, nothing difficult simple stuffs covering Spring, Hibernate, Core Java, Multithreading etc.

3rd Person : Covered Database asked me couple queries involving Aggregate functions like Sum, Average and difference between Having Clause and Group By Clause.

4th Person : Was more interested in learning about the Software Development Process we have in place at current job including Agile and details about different Day to Day activities as Software Developer.

5th Person : Was more interested in Lower Level stuffs like Networking, Data Center, TCP, port binding and Operating System Level Question.

Overall interview was good...

Interview Question – Nothing as such, there were pretty standard questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Base Pay was very less as opposed to what I was making at that time.

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Interview Details – I first handed my resume to a Goldman Sachs HR Representative when she came to campus for an information session. The session was basically about career opportunities in the company that did not have much to do with finance. Several weeks later, I was contacted via email to select a time for a phone interview.

The phone interview was behavioral and personal fact based. Things like Why Goldman Sachs? I had those prepared and it was fairly generic. I was then contacted to attend an onsite interview. I thought it was going to last seven or eight hours, but I was told at the beginning of the day that such is the case only if you're being considered for multiple teams. I was only considered for one team.

There were three interviews, one of them were 2:1. I interviewed with two VP level employees and the rest were associates or analysts. The questions asked were for the most part data structure and algorithms questions. After clearing those portions out, I was told to discuss my favorite sorting algorithms and design patterns and was told to write a simple implementation of both. There was also one interviewer who asked me to write some SQL, which turned out to be the most difficult part of the interview. It bums me out that there were no behavioral questions after the "Why Goldman Sachs" crap.

Interview Question – Show me an optimized query for identifying the circular references between field x and y.   Answer Question

Champaign, IL

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2012.

Interview Details – Recruiter selected individuals based on their conversation and review of resume. Interview time were scheduled on the spot for the following day.

Interview Question – Who is the most inspiring person in your life   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2008.

Interview Details – Campus interview for the first round and come in for a full day interview. Met 2 teams for the interview, each team will have at least 3 people interview you individually for 30 to 45 mins, with a lunch break in between. The whole process starts at 9 in the morning, which they arranged a intro video about the company, afterwards you went off to meet with different groups.

Interview Question – Java, database, data structure questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As freshly graduated from college, you dont have much room for negotiation since they will put you through a 2-months training.

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – very scrupulous process. detailed analytical and logical test followed by several rounds of subsequent interviews

Interview Question – couple of high profile technical questions and logical questions as well   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Goldman Sachs

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!

Goldman Sachs Videos

Goldman Sachs – Why Work for Us?

We bring together people, capital and ideas to produce solutions and results for our clients by playing a number of roles: financial advisor, lender, investor and asset manager. A commitment to integrity, team work and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goldman Sachs Technical Analyst interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Goldman Sachs employees and interview candidates.