Goldman Sachs

Updated Nov 12, 2014

3.2

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2014.

I applied online. HR contacted me and had a brief interview: questions about past work experience, why switch? why goldman? etc. They passed along my resume to multiple teams. Heard back from 3 teams. Each team conducted an initial phone screen. It sounds juvenile, but def know everything you put on your resume. The first guy that interviewed me asked things from when I was in college (nearly 2 years ago) and I didnt remember everything for eg UNIX commands. One of the teams liked me and decided to conduct two back to back technical interviews with developers on the team (think they wanted to make sure I was good to fly me to nyc since I was out of town). Still waiting on onsite interview.

Questions from phone interviews:
- Difference between interface and abstract class. When would you use one over the other.
- Left join vs right join
- what is the join on a table itself called
- What is a spring bean - more spring type questions
- what type of jdbc statement would you use for an sp
- what is the sdlc process at your current firm?
- difference between jsp and js
- how would you find and remove a duplicate row in a table
- why is String immutable?
- how many hours a day do you spend coding?
- how would access SQL from Java code
- how would you open a db connection

Interview Questions
  • Design a restaurant with people in line, waiters, tables seating system, etc using data structures + design patterns   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

I had 14 interviews! One with each of my team members, and one each with a "sister" team member. Everyone conveyed one idea in common - Everybody helps everybody out. They were correct. And I was convinced that I want to join.
    Don't expect to get paid much in the beginning. If at all you get paid "well", it will only be after a few good years.

Interview Questions
    • A few fancy puzzles. A few mathematics questions that I hadn't thought about in over 10 years.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First round interview was on campus, I was asked a lot of personality question, and really basic programming questions about inheritance, polymorphism, and school projects. Know everything on your resume really well, because they will ask a lot of details on it. About a week later was asked to go to New York for second round. You can get called back to 1-4 groups. Each group has 2-3 people interview for a total of 1 1/2 hours. Lots of brain teasers, and a few simple java programs. Second round had no behavioral questions really. Some of the interviewers can be really intense while others are helpful.

Interview Questions
    • 1) What is the sum of n numbers?
      2) reverse a linked list
      3) What is polymorphism and inheritance?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2013.

Phone interview with two members of the team. Pretty basic, described the position. They were most concerned with gauging interest. Goldman flew me down to NYC. Was little bit of a hassle because they flew me into JFK even though my interview was in Jersey City (but hey, they are goldman they can do that). During face to face Super Day 4 back to back interviews. I was given my offer the next day and I accepted. Questions were not all that difficult, be confident. It was a little awkward that you get to meet all other candidates before the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult task you've faced in the workplace?   Answer Question
    Goldman does not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

I had an on-campus interview, it was 2 vs 1, very nice, no tech questions, simply go through my resume. Then a week later, I was invited to the super day, 8-9 interviews for 3 group, questions about java language, like interface and abstract class, Database design and again, questions about your resume. The only thing that bothered me is that, I want to drink a ton of water before I want to say another word. Just kidding, the interviewers were really nice and they asked me if I need several minutes to rest and drink water. People in GS were also really nice, for the first interview, I got lost in their building, a gentleman helped me find the place I need to go and encourage me, "buddy, just smile and be confident, you can do that!"

Interview Questions
    • Not really, all classical problems about java and database, go through glassdoor or careercup and you will be OK.   View Answer
    They telephoned you,

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The on-site interview took a day. Three departments and three interviews for each department.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2013.

emailed me first and set serveral time slot for telephone interview.
    Asked both technical and general questions, the qeustions are very jump, it seems they didn't well prepared for the interview. Not a very good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project you've done before, and give the detail. But I can't remember too much.   Answer Question

Don't like the job the offered to me.

Technical Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I had one phone scheduled with VP followed by in person interview at Goldman Sachs New York Headquarters. First Phone was about 20 mins and we went over details about current job, work done in the past and he was more interested in knowing about my Agile/Scrum capabilities.

In person round was technical in nature, i have 5 people interviewed me including VP Manager of the team. Here was the areas each covered.

1st Person : Algorithms and Data Structures, asked about how to find particular word in an array of million words, what is the best way to get word out of that million words array, what is the run time complexities, also discussed about different architecture they are planning to put in place for their platform.

2nd Person : Quick Chat covering standard Java Interview Questions, nothing difficult simple stuffs covering Spring, Hibernate, Core Java, Multithreading etc.

3rd Person : Covered Database asked me couple queries involving Aggregate functions like Sum, Average and difference between Having Clause and Group By Clause.

4th Person : Was more interested in learning about the Software Development Process we have in place at current job including Agile and details about different Day to Day activities as Software Developer.

5th Person : Was more interested in Lower Level stuffs like Networking, Data Center, TCP, port binding and Operating System Level Question.

Overall interview was good...

Interview Questions
    • Nothing as such, there were pretty standard questions.   Answer Question

Base Pay was very less as opposed to what I was making at that time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

I first handed my resume to a Goldman Sachs HR Representative when she came to campus for an information session. The session was basically about career opportunities in the company that did not have much to do with finance. Several weeks later, I was contacted via email to select a time for a phone interview.

The phone interview was behavioral and personal fact based. Things like Why Goldman Sachs? I had those prepared and it was fairly generic. I was then contacted to attend an onsite interview. I thought it was going to last seven or eight hours, but I was told at the beginning of the day that such is the case only if you're being considered for multiple teams. I was only considered for one team.

There were three interviews, one of them were 2:1. I interviewed with two VP level employees and the rest were associates or analysts. The questions asked were for the most part data structure and algorithms questions. After clearing those portions out, I was told to discuss my favorite sorting algorithms and design patterns and was told to write a simple implementation of both. There was also one interviewer who asked me to write some SQL, which turned out to be the most difficult part of the interview. It bums me out that there were no behavioral questions after the "Why Goldman Sachs" crap.

Interview Questions
    • Show me an optimized query for identifying the circular references between field x and y.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2012.

Recruiter selected individuals based on their conversation and review of resume. Interview time were scheduled on the spot for the following day.

Interview Questions
    • Who is the most inspiring person in your life   View Answer