Goldman Sachs Technical Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Dec 24, 2014
Updated Dec 24, 2014

3.1

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

Interview

The technical interviews were very practical. The questions asked in C++/SQL were not theory, but some practical problems. One of the best challenging interview I had. A total of 3 telephonic technical interviews based on C++/SQL and general aptitude.
All this was followed by in-person interviews (4 in number). The interview process being one of the best.

Interview Questions

• We have a string "Hello How are you".

How do you efficiently reverse the words to "you are how hello". Using std data structures.

Answer Question
  • What happens if you do a 'this = this". And what happens when u call delete this from a destr?   Answer Question

I was told during final interview with Manager and Sr Mgr that I have to be on my toes always. I have to get the right attitude to work.
The above statements are real nice one, but if someone is telling you these at the time of interview, then you gotta read between the lines. So, once I got the offer, I had done my research based on personal contacts in GS and thru Glass Door as well.
I decided to decline this offer, because I am not the one, who can sell my life hours for money. I wanted a challenging role, but am not ready to spend more than 40-45 hrs a week for my career.
A job at GS meant - I had to forget my regular fitness regime, my hobbies, the time I spend with my daughter, and the frequent time offs I take for leisure travel.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

I first handed my resume to a Goldman Sachs HR Representative when she came to campus for an information session. The session was basically about career opportunities in the company that did not have much to do with finance. Several weeks later, I was contacted via email to select a time for a phone interview.

The phone interview was behavioral and personal fact based. Things like Why Goldman Sachs? I had those prepared and it was fairly generic. I was then contacted to attend an onsite interview. I thought it was going to last seven or eight hours, but I was told at the beginning of the day that such is the case only if you're being considered for multiple teams. I was only considered for one team.

There were three interviews, one of them were 2:1. I interviewed with two VP level employees and the rest were associates or analysts. The questions asked were for the most part data structure and algorithms questions. After clearing those portions out, I was told to discuss my favorite sorting algorithms and design patterns and was told to write a simple implementation of both. There was also one interviewer who asked me to write some SQL, which turned out to be the most difficult part of the interview. It bums me out that there were no behavioral questions after the "Why Goldman Sachs" crap.

Interview Questions

• Show me an optimized query for identifying the circular references between field x and y.   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

After the initial behavior round at my University I was called for the Superday at New York. I had only one team who wanted to interview me. Three members would interview you separately.

Interview Questions

• Write a code for Dijkstra's shortest path algorithm.   1 Answer
    • Why Goldman Sachs?   1 Answer
    • some situation at work or project which brought out leaderhip qualities.   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2009.

Interview

i was campus hiring. There were campus interviews and on-site interview. During campus interview, I got group interview with three interviewers. It covers both technical and behavior questions, more focus on the resume. 9 rounds of on-site interview, 3 for each team, more like business and technical questions

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2010.

Interview

Phone interview is the first round of the path. I actually not a very good technical person. Coding is not that good. They just ask bunch of questions all related to Java, and C++. That drive me crazy...

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2011.

Interview

My interview was quite technical rather than behavioral, which the first interview intend to be. After the introduction they had given me a string and asked to write a program to reverse it. I did that, then they ask to write a program that can reverse any string. I did that, after that they ask if the input is null string then how the program should be changed. I suggested that. Then they have given me 2 arrays of 1 to 1000 in random order and then they want me to find out if a number is added how can you find out the number, I had given the solution and they were really impressed by my answers and my pace as well to get to the answer. So, I had expected to get further.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to reverse any string   1 Answer

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2012.

Interview

It was a two-to-one interview. It is in normal procedure. Firstly the recruiter was asking about your resume, and then they came up with one coding problem and one brain teaser. The questions were not hard, but they expect the problem solving skills from you.

Interview Questions

• What is your best programming language   1 Answer

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2010.

Interview

It was a two on one interview where they each took turns asking theoretical questions. One question was compare and contrast object oriented programming style in Java and C++.

Interview Questions

• Compare and contrast object orientated programming in Java and C++. Why is it that Java can only inherit from one class and use interface for the others while C++ just has multiple inheritances.   1 Answer

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (City of London, England (UK)) in November 2010.

Interview

I have been invited to have my first interview and finished one database formatting test and had two short interview related to the test and competency questions. I got an email for final interview on the same day.
    The final interview consisted of 3 1:1 interviews, 30mins each. Haven't got replied yet.

Interview Questions

• Why do you choose Goldman Sachs   1 Answer

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in January 2010.

Interview

1. Online app, cv and cover letter.

2. Analytical thinking exercise based around databases and updating trade records. Present and dicuss my answers to two interviewers.

3. Two one-on-one competency interviews. First purely competency with standard questions, why goldman, why technology, leadership, teamwork etc. Second asked some technical questions about previous java projects and experience with financial IT systems.

Interview Questions

• If I have a kettle that can boil 1 litre of water and I need 4 litres of boiling water, how do I do it?   1 Answer