Goldman Sachs Technical Analyst Interview Questions

3.1

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I interviewed in around Feb, 2013. First did an on-campus, the interviewer didn't ask any actual coding question, but asked some knowledge based question like static/dynamic types in java, classes, OOP etc. Then I got invited to onsite. It was called "super day" and was quite intense - starts at 8 am, and many interviewees were gathered in a room to hear instructions, then we head to different offices to do the actual interviews. I had to interview 3 different groups, and each group consists of 3 interviews of 45 minutes. Most of them were really easy and I was rarely asked a technical question, even when I did it was not too difficult to figure out. However I do know that recently there's some changes in the technical interview process as they start to focus more on asking technical questions and making them do hands on codings. However it is still quite exhausting after 9 consecutive rounds of interviews. A disappointing detail is that you are not given free lunch. I had to run out and get food from a nearby place.

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I have applied online to the position of a New Analyst in Technology department, 3 days later a recruiter called me on Friday and asked to come to the interview on next Monday in the morning. At the interview, there were 6 applicants in total, we were given an analytical task for 30 minutes based on responsive design and allocation of boxes into the screen (be sure to know well-known display sizes, resolution). The task wasn't hard, but additional questions from the interviewer were. The man was not friendly at all and I had an impression that I have irritated him from the beginning. I didn't feel that i answered his questions, because he suggested me unexpected ways to do it: to solve the problem from the java perspective, while i prepared to do it from html5/css perspective. He did not listen to me properly and always interrupted everything i tried to say. The second interviewer was much better and polite, and I have gained a good impression in the end. he was friendly and smiled a lot, but he asked some questions of Goldman Sachs, which i wasn't prepared to answer. My fault. We also talked through teamwork and leadership examples, there were no unexpected questions in this area.

Interview Questions

• What should be as an input to the java method? What GS do in sales & trading?   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online. HR contacted me and had a brief interview: questions about past work experience, why switch? why goldman? etc. They passed along my resume to multiple teams. Heard back from 3 teams. Each team conducted an initial phone screen. It sounds juvenile, but def know everything you put on your resume. The first guy that interviewed me asked things from when I was in college (nearly 2 years ago) and I didnt remember everything for eg UNIX commands. One of the teams liked me and decided to conduct two back to back technical interviews with developers on the team (think they wanted to make sure I was good to fly me to nyc since I was out of town). Still waiting on onsite interview. Questions from phone interviews: - Difference between interface and abstract class. When would you use one over the other. - Left join vs right join - what is the join on a table itself called - What is a spring bean - more spring type questions - what type of jdbc statement would you use for an sp - what is the sdlc process at your current firm? - difference between jsp and js - how would you find and remove a duplicate row in a table - why is String immutable? - how many hours a day do you spend coding? - how would access SQL from Java code - how would you open a db connection

Interview Questions

• Design a restaurant with people in line, waiters, tables seating system, etc using data structures + design patterns   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

I had 14 interviews! One with each of my team members, and one each with a "sister" team member. Everyone conveyed one idea in common - Everybody helps everybody out. They were correct. And I was convinced that I want to join. Don't expect to get paid much in the beginning. If at all you get paid "well", it will only be after a few good years.

Interview Questions

• A few fancy puzzles. A few mathematics questions that I hadn't thought about in over 10 years.   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

Interview

very scrupulous process. detailed analytical and logical test followed by several rounds of subsequent interviews

Interview Questions

• couple of high profile technical questions and logical questions as well   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

First round interview was on campus, I was asked a lot of personality question, and really basic programming questions about inheritance, polymorphism, and school projects. Know everything on your resume really well, because they will ask a lot of details on it. About a week later was asked to go to New York for second round. You can get called back to 1-4 groups. Each group has 2-3 people interview for a total of 1 1/2 hours. Lots of brain teasers, and a few simple java programs. Second round had no behavioral questions really. Some of the interviewers can be really intense while others are helpful.

Interview Questions

• 1) What is the sum of n numbers? 2) reverse a linked list 3) What is polymorphism and inheritance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in May 2013.

Interview

Phone interview with two members of the team. Pretty basic, described the position. They were most concerned with gauging interest. Goldman flew me down to NYC. Was little bit of a hassle because they flew me into JFK even though my interview was in Jersey City (but hey, they are goldman they can do that). During face to face Super Day 4 back to back interviews. I was given my offer the next day and I accepted. Questions were not all that difficult, be confident. It was a little awkward that you get to meet all other candidates before the interviews.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult task you've faced in the workplace?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Goldman does not negotiate

Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England (UK)) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied through the university. Was interviewed in two rounds which consisted of a problem solving scenario with explanations, competency and technical interviews. I was interviewed by 7 different people from different departments in the technology division. While the process was nerve racking the interviewers however were very friendly

Interview Questions

• Beign asked how i would use a C/C++ library in Java. Also had to answer questions on how I would prioritize scarce computing resources in displaying news quickly to the dashboard I designed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

The on-site interview took a day. Three departments and three interviews for each department.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

emailed me first and set serveral time slot for telephone interview. Asked both technical and general questions, the qeustions are very jump, it seems they didn't well prepared for the interview. Not a very good experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you've done before, and give the detail. But I can't remember too much.   Answer Question

Don't like the job the offered to me.