Goldman Sachs

Updated Feb 9, 2015
Updated Feb 9, 2015

3.1

Technology Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2012.

-Online application led to a one-time superday interview.
-Interviewed with two different groups within the Technology Division.
-Questions were data structure and algorithms based, lots of emphasis on writing code and evaluating/improving it.
-I felt abused by the IQ-based questions.
-Got a call exactly one week later saying that they decided not to go forward with me.

Interview Questions
  • Optimize the square root function to take values between 2 and 100,000.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Technology Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2012.

There was an information session about Goldman Sachs careers that was entitled something on the lines of "Beyond Banking". I went there and spoke with the representatives there about my personal projects and what I find interesting about programming. After handing them my resume, they said that they'll contact me soon. It took about two weeks for me to get scheduled for a phone interview.

The phone screening interview was purely technical, starting off from simpler concept-based questions (overriding vs overloading) and discussing the complexity of b-trees. He then asked an optimization problem about square root functions that I totally bombed. I tried thinking about it mathematically to no avail.. The interviewer gave me hints about nonmathematical approaches such as "lookup tables" but I never got around to understanding what he meant.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your algorithm for writing a square root function. What is its algorithmic complexity? Optimize it.   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2012.

I meet with lots of people from different teams, mostly front-office technology. Most of them are senior, at least VP I guess. Every people I meet are very nice, smart and professional. People here focus on technical questions a lot and really dig into the details to test your real capabilities and knowledge boundary. I enjoy this kind of interactive interviews a lot, not one-way communication at all. I could feel the interviews' expertise and personality, and they also introduce their work and responsibilities. All of these make me more look forward to this exciting job. I will definitely start my career here.

Interview questions mostly in data structure, algo, coding, OOP, synchronization, Linux and of course some behavior questions. They are also very interested in my past intern experiences, asking details. Besides technical capabilities, I think they focus on whether you fit into the role and team from many perspectives.

Interview Questions
    • It is quite common in i-banks being asked "give me a case you persuade others" - for me, it is "persuaded by others and tell me how your mind changes"   Answer Question
    Entry level, not negotiable. Market competitive base salary.

Technology Analyst Interview

Initial phone interviews consisted of brain teaser and basic C++ questions. Make sure you know your resume very well because they do ask some behavioral questions as well. Flown out to NYC for a final round interview. Interview questions were not very tough but you need to brush up on the basic recursion and sorting algorithms.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find an infinite loop in an infinite linked list   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2010.

First interview was at school. Very informal interview with little detail on the technical stuff. Second interview was on-site. Much more technical and detailed. Usually the recruiters send out the resumes to different division managers and, depending on which group is interested, they schedule the interviews. I had interviews with 3 groups, 3 interviews each for a total of 9.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you had to finish a project for the next day and your teammate decides to leave and go home?   View Answer

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

The interview of Goldman Sachs on their technology interns is surprisingly non-technical. They do have case-study type of technical interview. But they definitely do not expect any "correct" answer from the applicants but want to observe how applicants analyze the problem at hand and present their solutions.
    Other than the technical interview, they have a series of one-to-one or one-to-many interviews; most of them are about getting a better understanding of your work experience and how you work with others.
    I quite like people who interviewed me at that time; they are a bunch of direct people, so you can really save bullshits.

Interview Questions

As an international student, I am not allowed to just take a student leave for an internship in the industry for 3 months. My supervisor and our department PHD tutor resent the idea of students working for banks, so basically they didn't authorise my leave. What a pity!

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2008.

there was a half hour initial screening onsite interview.
    Once this was cleared I was called for 'super day' which had 9 interviews in a single day with 3 different tech departments of the firm.
    Interviewers were well educated in the interviewing process and its a mix of personality, aptitude and tech knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • You have 8 pool balls and a balancing scale. 1 of the balls is heavier than other 7. how will find the heavier one using the scale least possible times.   View Answer
    no. I was at entry level and offer was non-negotiable

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Applied online, got an e-mail after about 3 weeks inviting me to take part in the 1st round of interviews (expenses paid).
    Got to London, first test was a half technical - half analytical problem which I had to give a possible solution (set of algorithms) to. No right or wrong answer, just had to explain what I understood, what possible solutions do I have in mind, and what pros/cons do I have for each. After this, I had 3 interviews with 2 people each regarding my CV, my study, my skills and ambitions in life. Nothing too technical, only questions such as 'describe an experience in which you did not agree with other members of your work group, and how did you solve this'. This whole round was 2-3 hours long.
    Got another e-mail 2 days after the first round inviting me to the 2nd round, a week from the 1st. I had another 3 interviews, each with 2 interviewers from different divisions, asking more technical questions, directly related to their division's activity or interest. Had plenty of questions about C, C++, C#, Java, databases, and some questions about networks, mobile development, web frameworks, and graphs (all because I mentioned these skills in my CV/cover letter). Got a call 2 hours after this round asking me to come back to Goldman's offices, since some extra people want to talk to me. Had 2 more interviews, all pretty technical, with programming approaches to various problems those divisions have, and for each answer going on with another constraint, so they would understand my attitude against requirements change (all of them mentioned this as an important fact).
    Got the offer after 1 week.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: Assume that you are the minister of transport, and you have to change UK's traffic from left hand side of the road to the right hand side.   View Answers (2)
    • Technical question: Differences between Java and C#   View Answer
    Not able nor willing to negotiate the salary/bonus, just wanted the job and accepted right away. Otherwise they may give you up to a month to decide on their offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2013.

1)Phone IV for 30mins :- All brain teasers and about current job.
    a) equal no. of Heads up in 4 coins in 2 groups
    b) find out heavy ball in given similar 8/9 balls with 2 arm weigh machine given
    3) 100 stack with 100 coins in each with weight of each coin is 1gm but 1stack has all 1.1gm of coins. Find out the 1.1gm stack using digital weigh machine given

2) 3 Onsite IV's :-
    a) Written test of 10ques...all programming ques like fibonacci program, o/p of following program, static cast and dynamic cast, cally by value call by reference, second dynamic memory allocation
    b) 1st Interview on the test:- questions on the concepts used in program and the follow up ques by modifying the program
    c) 2nd Interview :- About resume, what is polymorphism - advantage and disadvantage, find min no using stack in efficient way,where the objects methods are stored. puzzle of given 5cups and n no. of bottles of water with one bottle is poisonous, you can pour the water in a cup using >=2 bottles also.So in how many ways u can tell the water in cups is poisonous. puzzle on calculating the 45mins using 2 threads. puzzle:- infine black and white dots on a plane,prove that the distance between 1 black n 1 white is 1unit.
    d) 3rd IV with VP of team :- Detail about current job, what are you expecting in your new job, what make u unhppy at current job, what makes u stressful, what will you do when client is asking you to provide something which doesnt make any sense, puzzle-n people in cave, and k have mark on their head and only people with mark on head can come out so in how many days k ppl will come out

Interview Questions
    • infine black and white dots on a plane,prove that the distance between 1 black n 1 white is 1unit   View Answer
    Keep ur concepts clear, study ur resume, check for brain teasers. Not difficult to crack

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2010.

The applicant goes through 3 interviews per BU, and each one can be very different, as each interviewer will focus of an area of interest depending on what is the position for and the resume of the applicant. Standard object oriented, database and algorithms questions will form the bases for more complex inquiries.