Goldman Sachs

Updated Dec 19, 2014

3.2

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

2 interview, waiting for phone interview
Been back for 2 interview days, the first with a case study, the second were 3 behavioural interviews each lasting about 30 minutes with some technical questions as well

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2014.

I applied to a graduate technology analyst position online. The process consisted of two appointments in the office. First day had two interviews. There were a handful of us in the first one. We were put in an office, given sheets with an analytic exercise to solve and make notes on in 30 minutes. It was something about ways to place widgets in a screen when you know the dimensions of the screen and the widgets. No need to prepare for this, just make sure you're able to think of an algorithm and then explain it. Bonus points if you write some code/pseudo-code. Once you're done with the first task, you're taken to the interviewer and spend another 30 minutes discussing your solution. The second interview was competency based, you get asked questions about recent projects and why you want to work in a bank etc. Have to ask your own questions afterwards.
    They take a week or so to respond with your results. You then schedule a second interview. Some people get it the very next day, others end up waiting months.
    Second day consists of 3 interviews, one highly technical, two competency based. Only one other person from my initial group made it further with me. The technical interview consisted of writing code on the paper. I was asked to write a function that would count a number of bits set to 1 in an integer. Then I had to implement a binary tree data structure and write a function that would check if a given binary tree is a binary search tree. There was another question about bit manipulation and it was quite difficult, I can't remember it well though. Other two interviews were competency based, same as during the first day, just have stories prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Given array of integers. Calculate the sum of differences between all elements or something like that.   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate. When I asked how much time I have to make a decision I was told that they have other people in line and that I should hurry up.

Technology Analyst Interview

Submit App in one day and got email two weeks after. First round contained a task analysis and competency interview. For task interview, they started with questions listed and then changed requirements. They were more interested in how you explain your solution than you solution itself. Competency interview was based on CV.
    Second round was three separate interviews with more technological questions, but not tough at all. Some interviewers were very nice and relax, those interviews became a chat. However, my last interview was with two impatient and tired people. When talking about my technical strength and interest, they even scorned it. Besides these two, all stuffs were very nice people. Still waiting for response.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

Applied online, was invited for a first round interview where we were given 30 minutes to read through and work out possible solutions to an analytical thinking exercise based on cloud computing, then spent 30 minutes explaining my approaches and possible solutions to one person and last but not least a 30 minute one-on-one interview about my competencies, questions included details about projects on my CV and how I would definite a highly motivated person, what I knew about goldman sachs and so on. Was invited to the final round about 3-4 days after, where I had 3 30 minute interviews, 1 one-on-one and 2 two-on-one interviews, again mainly based on competencies and a lot of questions about projects on my CV. A few technical questions were also asked. Now waiting to hear back!

Interview Questions
    • What would you say to me if you were working at Goldman Sachs and I was a customer wanting to invest in clean, renewable energy in a particular area and a I was contemplating collaborating with one of the main competitors of GS?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

One 30min analytical exercise, 30mins discussing the exercise. Then a 30min competency interview. If you get through you are invited back for department interviews

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding app development, Java objects, classes.
      Analytical exercise was based on calculating how much it would cost the company to rent cloud computing power by the hour and daily in different time zones.
      Competency test was taken by graduates or workers that have been there a few years.

Answer Question

1st round- two interviews 1 techinical 1 competency

First round interviews:
    - 30 mins or so to go through a technical worksheet (no technical knowledge needed, though will help) and write down notes to present to an interviewer (in my case, the exercise is to explain your ides on how you would store and send messages for specific groups of employees)
    - 1st interview with either one or two people, where you are asked to explain how you think the specific system on the worksheet should work (don't explain too technically)
    - 2nd interview, again with either one or two people, is competency based, so give me a time where..., and also why GS, why technology etc

Final round interviews:
    - 3 seemingly random interviews (any number could be competency based, technical, business related)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you were asked to go against your morals. What did you do?   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2012.

There are two interview stages. I didn't get past the first one. My first interview consisted of two sub-interviews of 30 mins each : a technical one where you explain the solutions that you brought up to the problems that you had 30 mins to solve and a general interview where they asked me general questions (why goldman sachs? what do you like about technology? tell us one moment when you did something creative etc...)

Interview Questions
    • I had to properly explain the solution I gave to a user profile management system.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Applied online, got an e-mail after about 3 weeks inviting me to take part in the 1st round of interviews (expenses paid).
    Got to London, first test was a half technical - half analytical problem which I had to give a possible solution (set of algorithms) to. No right or wrong answer, just had to explain what I understood, what possible solutions do I have in mind, and what pros/cons do I have for each. After this, I had 3 interviews with 2 people each regarding my CV, my study, my skills and ambitions in life. Nothing too technical, only questions such as 'describe an experience in which you did not agree with other members of your work group, and how did you solve this'. This whole round was 2-3 hours long.
    Got another e-mail 2 days after the first round inviting me to the 2nd round, a week from the 1st. I had another 3 interviews, each with 2 interviewers from different divisions, asking more technical questions, directly related to their division's activity or interest. Had plenty of questions about C, C++, C#, Java, databases, and some questions about networks, mobile development, web frameworks, and graphs (all because I mentioned these skills in my CV/cover letter). Got a call 2 hours after this round asking me to come back to Goldman's offices, since some extra people want to talk to me. Had 2 more interviews, all pretty technical, with programming approaches to various problems those divisions have, and for each answer going on with another constraint, so they would understand my attitude against requirements change (all of them mentioned this as an important fact).
    Got the offer after 1 week.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: Assume that you are the minister of transport, and you have to change UK's traffic from left hand side of the road to the right hand side.   View Answers (2)
    • Technical question: Differences between Java and C#   View Answer
    Not able nor willing to negotiate the salary/bonus, just wanted the job and accepted right away. Otherwise they may give you up to a month to decide on their offer.

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

The interview of Goldman Sachs on their technology interns is surprisingly non-technical. They do have case-study type of technical interview. But they definitely do not expect any "correct" answer from the applicants but want to observe how applicants analyze the problem at hand and present their solutions.
    Other than the technical interview, they have a series of one-to-one or one-to-many interviews; most of them are about getting a better understanding of your work experience and how you work with others.
    I quite like people who interviewed me at that time; they are a bunch of direct people, so you can really save bullshits.

Interview Questions

As an international student, I am not allowed to just take a student leave for an internship in the industry for 3 months. My supervisor and our department PHD tutor resent the idea of students working for banks, so basically they didn't authorise my leave. What a pity!