Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.2

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

Applied online, was invited for a first round interview where we were given 30 minutes to read through and work out possible solutions to an analytical thinking exercise based on cloud computing, then spent 30 minutes explaining my approaches and possible solutions to one person and last but not least a 30 minute one-on-one interview about my competencies, questions included details about projects on my CV and how I would definite a highly motivated person, what I knew about goldman sachs and so on. Was invited to the final round about 3-4 days after, where I had 3 30 minute interviews, 1 one-on-one and 2 two-on-one interviews, again mainly based on competencies and a lot of questions about projects on my CV. A few technical questions were also asked. Now waiting to hear back!

Interview Questions
  • What would you say to me if you were working at Goldman Sachs and I was a customer wanting to invest in clean, renewable energy in a particular area and a I was contemplating collaborating with one of the main competitors of GS?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

One 30min analytical exercise, 30mins discussing the exercise. Then a 30min competency interview. If you get through you are invited back for department interviews

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding app development, Java objects, classes.
      Analytical exercise was based on calculating how much it would cost the company to rent cloud computing power by the hour and daily in different time zones.
      Competency test was taken by graduates or workers that have been there a few years.
        Answer Question

1st round- two interviews 1 techinical 1 competency

First round interviews:
    - 30 mins or so to go through a technical worksheet (no technical knowledge needed, though will help) and write down notes to present to an interviewer (in my case, the exercise is to explain your ides on how you would store and send messages for specific groups of employees)
    - 1st interview with either one or two people, where you are asked to explain how you think the specific system on the worksheet should work (don't explain too technically)
    - 2nd interview, again with either one or two people, is competency based, so give me a time where..., and also why GS, why technology etc

Final round interviews:
    - 3 seemingly random interviews (any number could be competency based, technical, business related)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you were asked to go against your morals. What did you do?   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2012.

There are two interview stages. I didn't get past the first one. My first interview consisted of two sub-interviews of 30 mins each : a technical one where you explain the solutions that you brought up to the problems that you had 30 mins to solve and a general interview where they asked me general questions (why goldman sachs? what do you like about technology? tell us one moment when you did something creative etc...)

Interview Questions
    • I had to properly explain the solution I gave to a user profile management system.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Applied online, got an e-mail after about 3 weeks inviting me to take part in the 1st round of interviews (expenses paid).
    Got to London, first test was a half technical - half analytical problem which I had to give a possible solution (set of algorithms) to. No right or wrong answer, just had to explain what I understood, what possible solutions do I have in mind, and what pros/cons do I have for each. After this, I had 3 interviews with 2 people each regarding my CV, my study, my skills and ambitions in life. Nothing too technical, only questions such as 'describe an experience in which you did not agree with other members of your work group, and how did you solve this'. This whole round was 2-3 hours long.
    Got another e-mail 2 days after the first round inviting me to the 2nd round, a week from the 1st. I had another 3 interviews, each with 2 interviewers from different divisions, asking more technical questions, directly related to their division's activity or interest. Had plenty of questions about C, C++, C#, Java, databases, and some questions about networks, mobile development, web frameworks, and graphs (all because I mentioned these skills in my CV/cover letter). Got a call 2 hours after this round asking me to come back to Goldman's offices, since some extra people want to talk to me. Had 2 more interviews, all pretty technical, with programming approaches to various problems those divisions have, and for each answer going on with another constraint, so they would understand my attitude against requirements change (all of them mentioned this as an important fact).
    Got the offer after 1 week.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: Assume that you are the minister of transport, and you have to change UK's traffic from left hand side of the road to the right hand side.   View Answers (2)
    • Technical question: Differences between Java and C#   View Answer
    Not able nor willing to negotiate the salary/bonus, just wanted the job and accepted right away. Otherwise they may give you up to a month to decide on their offer.

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

The interview of Goldman Sachs on their technology interns is surprisingly non-technical. They do have case-study type of technical interview. But they definitely do not expect any "correct" answer from the applicants but want to observe how applicants analyze the problem at hand and present their solutions.
    Other than the technical interview, they have a series of one-to-one or one-to-many interviews; most of them are about getting a better understanding of your work experience and how you work with others.
    I quite like people who interviewed me at that time; they are a bunch of direct people, so you can really save bullshits.

Interview Questions

As an international student, I am not allowed to just take a student leave for an internship in the industry for 3 months. My supervisor and our department PHD tutor resent the idea of students working for banks, so basically they didn't authorise my leave. What a pity!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2010.

For technology it's a pretty straightforward process- 300 word cover letter(and this is everything that counts), a first round interview based entirely on competency. Following this, on the same day, you will be presented with a case to assess and later present to two senior VPs. My case was to analyse how best to store reference data for a trading app. It was very straightforward-needed us staying how we'd use databases and SQL optimisation (I've studied business and computers therefore computer science was not my major, I was applying for a BA role) and discuss efficiency.

Get past this and you have one more round of three interviews- focus on one recent event that's effecting the current economy, a B&T of commercial awareness (why did the credit crunch happen, what was Goldman's role), a lot of competency and a few technical questions such as multi threading.

Interview Questions
    • What loans specifically hurt Goldman during the credit crisis   View Answer
    No negotiation, it was a graduate offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2009.

I had in mning the ATE test..we were 40 people..We were reduced to 8 people in afternoon.I had 3 interviews 2-1 .....All were technical interviews.....After that , in tow weeks , I received a phone call about my result..got through..joining is in feb, 2010....

Interview Questions

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!