Goldman Sachs Technology Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2015

Campus: Back to Back
30 minutes for each interview
Technical + behavioral
Interviewers were nice and was a great experience
Go through your resume
Past experiences
Past work experience
Past/current projects
Tell me about yourself
Why investment banking?
Education Background

Interview Questions
  • Schedule Algorithm
    Client Server Architecture
    Service Oriented Architecture

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I had the first round on-campus interview with GS. It was one hour long. Half of it is technology interview, and half of it is behavioral interview. I was not good at designing algorithm, however the interviewer was so kind to lead me to a better answer. They are very kind in scheduling interviews. Most applicants through campus will get an interview opportunity. However because of the relatively large pool, you may not get the second interview unless you get the questions right. Their second round interview is on-site in NYC office, which lasts about 2-3 hours, lunch interview may included.

Interview Questions
    • The tech question was to design an algorithm. The problem is to schedule meetings based on free time slots, length of a meeting and priority of a meeting.
      Behavioral questions are all based on resume. They would ask every detail in your resume, including why and how you did something.

Answer Question

Summer Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2015.

Two 45 min interview. Recruiters are nice. Asked Palindrome, implement queue using stake, or stack use queue. Also about balanced Scale problem, and a hashtable one. Mostly behavior questions, talk about the project and backgrounds. I am a hardware engineer, they seem not interested in me that much.

Interview Questions
    • How to check if a strong is palindrome?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2015.

I applied through university. I was called for an on campus interview the following week. Afterwards, I was called for a final round the following week. I was offered the position 6 days later. It was all very professional and even when I felt the recruiters were being stiff, I felt they were being fair. The upper management was even nicer, usually guiding me through much of their questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to work through a scheduling algorithm. There wasn't a fully correct answer but the interviewer wanted to analyze my thought process. The final interview was 2 rounds and was about many different concepts: OOP, hashing, sorting algorithms, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln University, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Lincoln University, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2015.

Strict and Indepth. It was supposed to be on my resume and personality, but it had little to do with my resume, and nothing at all on my personality. It was totally based on the answers I gave. This continued for some time before a switch to Mathmatics which was general.

Interview Questions
    • Describe C++, Java   View Answer
    • Describe Java   View Answer
    • How does Java and C++ differs?   View Answer
    • If I have a farm that produced 5 fruits, and I mix two fruits each to make a juice, how many juice will I have on my menu?   View Answer
    • If 4 different teams played against themselves with team A having 9points, team B having 4points, team C having 2 points, and team D having 1 point. Explain what happened in the tournament. A win is 3points, draw is 1point, and loss is 0point.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2015.

On campus interview 2 30-minute interview, then onsite 2 45-minute interview. All people are friendly and make sure you are at a comfort environment. The process is very quick. After onsite interview, there was a casual meeting with current employees and a lot of fun talking with them

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2015.

Two back-to-back on-campus interviews that were 30 minutes each. One standard interview and one technical interview. Have yet to hear back from them after a week. For the standard interview, it was typical behavioral questions. Make sure you know something unique about Goldman Sachs. The technical interview was a scheduling problem.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss an algorithm to slot events into a single day from 9:00 to 4:00. The parts of the day are divided into 30 minute intervals. Some 30 minute intervals are blocked and an event cannot be scheduled to overlap with such an interval. Try to slot the events so that lower priority and lower duration events are dropped.   View Answer

1st round on campus interview -
    30 mins behavioral interview:
    What is something you are bad at? What is something that makes you angry? How would your friends describe you? Why Goldman Sachs? etc etc.

30 mins technical interview:
    Develop an algorithm to schedule an executive's day, given a list of people the executive has to meet with, the amount of time they request to see the executive, and the priority of the meeting. My interviewer basically helped me out and asked me a series of smaller questions as I walked him through how I would code the scheduling system.

2nd round Jersey city interview-
    Two rounds of approximately 45 minutes mostly technical questions. They also asked some questions like greatest role model, why Goldman Sachs, but the focus was mostly on technical questions.

-Some basic arithmetic/statistics questions, don't remember exactly but something like how many people would you let on plane given that certain percentage of the population is infected with a virus, and you have a vaccine that has a certain effectiveness?
    -How would you reverse a linked list?
    -Some questions on pointers.
    -What is the result of compilation?
    -Write a program that accepts an array of integers and returns an integer whose digits consist of the numbers in that array? For example given the array {1,2,3} it would return '123'. Had to also work for something like {4,31,2} which would give you '4312'.

Interview Questions
    • The second round questions were a lot more technical in nature than I had expected. As an electrical engineer, I hadn't taken many coding classes and it had been a long time since I had done any substantial programming so I struggled with these.   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First round interview was about an hour. First 30 minutes was behavioral and they asked me about my resume and how I worked with others. Second part was technical and they asked me to create a scheduling algorithm.

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

30 minute screening interview which focused solely on my resume. I discussed my current projects and research. The interviewer mainly tried to see how I would fit into a team. Questions about any problems that could have arisen within a group project and how I worked through it. Asked why Goldman Sachs.
    Called in for on-site interview which was 2 hours - 2 back to back 45 minute interviews followed by 30 minute networking session. I was interviewed by 2 people each time and they wanted me to explain why I wanted to work for Goldman and how I thought I'd fit. Focused on relevant coursework and project work. Then went into some programming. Asked to find out if a word was a palindrome. Asked about what division I was most interested within the main 4 divisions within the technology department. Second interview focused more on my SQL knowledge and analytical thinking. Simple math problem - if you had a cube that was 1x1x1 and you joined multiple cubes of those dimensions to form a super cube of dimensions 8x8x8 and then sunk that cube into a tub of red paint, how many little cubes are not touched by the paint.
    Each interview ended with about 10 minutes for questions

Interview Questions
    • Took one technical word I used when describing my project work and asked me to elaborate, when actually I had minimal understanding of that word   Answer Question