Goldman Sachs

Relevance Date Difficulty

Securities Summer Analyst Interview

Securities Summer Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online in November 2013 - had a phone interview in mid-January 2014. After 4 weeks I was invited to London in start-March where I had 3 individual interviews. First two interviews was very relaxed, some questions regarding the markets and behavioral questions. The third interview was much more technical.

Interview Question – I had to pitch a stock, which I had prepared for, but afterwards became very technical in terms of valuation questions.   Answer Question

Spring Intern Interview

Spring Intern
London, England (UK)

I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had to complete an online application and afterwards had one telephone interview (30 min). They were asking some technical questions but nothing really difficult. You should always make sure that you know your CV well and can give details about your work experience. Also be aware of the fact that they may ask you questions about every single university course you have mentioned in your CV (e.g. Accounting, Finance,...). I had the impression that the personal questions (motivation, teamwork experience, leadership experience) had a big impact on the interview's result. Make sure that you be yourself. They're not looking for experts for the spring internship. Just show your willingness to learn and meet new people.

Interview Question – Did you ever have a problem when working in a team? How did you solve the problem?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Junior FX Trader Interview

Junior FX Trader

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – Please note that this was for academic year 07/08.

Recruitment for the grad programme had already ended and I think they had lost a grad on the FX desk. They were trying to fill that place post initial recruitment. Therefore this may not have been the usual process. I had no HR/competency round.

First stage:
I had 2 one-on-one interviews and a written numerical test.
-Interviews were with members of the desk.

Second stage:
I had 4 one-on-one interviews, again with desk members.
-I was rejected after these but there may have been further stages.

I'm not sure whether it was a ploy or accidental but I asked each one of my 4 interviewers for water in the second stage. They all said somebody would bring it. No one did. Pretty annoying.

In my opinion, it was the 'right' kind of process. No nonsense 'blag-able' competency questions. Well, for the most part (there was one lady that did the whole 'what 3 words would your friends use to describe you?'). Very practical process, in general. Test of knowledge, ability and mettle. At least you could sleep happy knowing that the best man/woman for the job got it.

I was mostly tested on technical knowledge of the markets. There was one very tough interview where you had to do mental arithmetic under pressure. Unlike other companies asking you how you react to pressure, this one guy put you under it and saw how you reacted. Made sense. I'm very good at mental arithmetic (and could answer them if relaxed) but struggled when bombarded with difficult questions in the interview scenario. Fair play. It told him what he needed to know.

Interview Question – All the interviewers had very different questions. The mental arithmetic under pressure was the hardest part.   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Technology Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2010.

Interview Details – For technology it's a pretty straightforward process- 300 word cover letter(and this is everything that counts), a first round interview based entirely on competency. Following this, on the same day, you will be presented with a case to assess and later present to two senior VPs. My case was to analyse how best to store reference data for a trading app. It was very straightforward-needed us staying how we'd use databases and SQL optimisation (I've studied business and computers therefore computer science was not my major, I was applying for a BA role) and discuss efficiency.

Get past this and you have one more round of three interviews- focus on one recent event that's effecting the current economy, a B&T of commercial awareness (why did the credit crunch happen, what was Goldman's role), a lot of competency and a few technical questions such as multi threading.

Interview Question – What loans specifically hurt Goldman during the credit crisis   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, it was a graduate offer

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Applied online in November 2013. Heard back about first round interview at the end of January. First round interview consisted of firstly an interview about an Analytical Thinking Exercise we were given when we arrived and then a competency based interview. Both interviews lasted 30 minutes. Heard back a few days later about the second round interview. It consisted of 3 30 minute interviews which were a mix of technical and competency baed questions. Waiting to hear back.

Interview Question – Where d o you see yourself in this company?   Answer Question

Summer Operations Analyst Interview

Summer Operations Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details – 1st interview was 30-minute face to face at Goldman Sachs.
The final interview is 3 x 30min back to back interview.

Interview Question – How do you deal with incomplete information?
Tell me a time when you took a risk?
What is 10% of 2 million?
What is the main product of the bank?
  Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Operations Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied in December, have been invited to the first round interview after 5 weeks, then after 3 days, I've been invited again to a second round interview, which consisted of 3:30 interviews with senior operations representatives. The first round interview (1:30) was very relaxed, questions were based on my CV, why ops and why GS!!! the questions of The second round interview were more specific (my advise is learn your CV and what u did in details) it's very important. I finally received an offer after 3 days.

Interview Question – I wrote a report within my degree about IKEA's operations so I have been asked how do you think IKEA controls its ops in order to deliver a product on time?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If you really want to have the position then accept it straight forward

Spring Program IBD Devision Interview

Spring Program IBD Devision

I applied online and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I applied online during the first week of November. You will be asked to submit your resume and answer motivation/fit questions such as : Tell us about a time you showed leadership/teamwork skills ? Tell us something you are proud of ? What is your biggest achievement ?
The answers to these questions have word limitation restriction around 150 or 200. The first answers are received around the last of January or begining of February and they call you for an interview either live of by phone if you study outside the UK.

Interview Question – Telephone interview with an operationnal. She asked me the following questions :
- Tell me about yourself
- Why did you choose IBD over Trading or Sales or Consulting ?
- Is there a piece of news that you followed and you would like to speak about ?
- Tell me what do you do for fun ?
- Tell me about the summer internship experience you mentioned in your resume
  Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I applied in December, was called for my first interview fairly quickly. This was a one on one 30 min interview, purely fit 'talk me through your CV'. I had to wait nearly three weeks until they got back to me, I was invited to the final round which was three thirty minute interviews, a mix between fit and technical.

Interview Question – Unusual brain teaser   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Placement Interview

Technology Analyst Placement
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I had two rounds interview which are similar. In first round, there is exercises and then we need to explain our answers.

Interview Question – In technical question, they expect you to answer optimal solution. like in IQ test :D   Answer Question