Goldman Sachs

Updated Feb 24, 2015

3.2

IBD Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Offered first round interview after the screening process in the London Office.
    Was asked basic competencies - Why banking, Goldman etc.
    Then was asked questions on market conditions, asked for a stock pitch, etc some technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • If you could work for Goldman Sachs or take a million pounds, which would you choose and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2014.

Applied online and a week later received an invite to go straight to their London offices for the 1st round interview which is composed by a case study followed by two 30 minute interviews.

The case study was about automatically fitting variable sized widgets into variable sized screens for a computer application. It had three questions, the first was close ended while the other two are more of a way for them to see how you think through problems. You are given 30 minutes and draft papers were you are supposed to sketch down your answers for the first interview. I did write some pseudo-code which can be a plus, however what you write down is not the most important but rather how you respond to new questions and constraints set by the interviewer regarding the case and your method. The second interview is some predefined competency questions, about you, teamwork and leadership. I was told the next day that I had made it to the next round, which took place 1 week and a half later.

The second round is composed by three 30 minute interviews and despite the email saying they would all be competency based only one happened to be so. The first interview was with a vp and despite being a normal random conversation or about something on your cv, expect questions about team work and leadership. The next two interviews were a mix of small algorithmic problems with some talk about the company and the experience of the interviewers themselves.

Every interviewer will give you time to ask questions at the end so make sure you have some, at the expense of sounding uninterested. All interviewers were young, sympathetic and helpful but don't expect them to look interested with whatever you're saying. All the recruitment process was smooth and I was very pleased with it. The time GS takes to reply may vary between candidates. They are usually fast but might also not say anything for a month and then invite you for an extra interview.

Interview Questions
    • Alphabetically ordering 300MB of words with 100MB of storage. The complexity of a given sorting algorithm.   Answer Question

Regulatory Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2014.

Arranged by agency one 15 minute interview for myself, a seasoned professional Regulatory BA. I found the interviewer not only very unhelpful and unfriendly, but also extremely boring in what he did manage to squeeze into his 15 minute diatribe about how great Goldmans were and how he used to be an engineer!

Interview Questions
    • Not many actually, there wasn't enough time but eg:
      How did you test data at your last firm.

Answer Question

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2014.

I applied online in early November after a Technology event. They contacted me after approx one month for the first round. The first round consisted of three phases of 30 min each. The firs is a small technology-related business case. The second in a 1 on 1 interview where you have to explain your solution to the previous business case, the third one is competency-based.
    After a week they contacted me for the Final Round interview. The Final Round consisted of three 30 min interviews held by senior business representatives. Those interviews were both technical and competency based. They contacted me with the results 2 working days later. I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation on the salary of course but they were flexible in giving me more time before accepting the offer

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

2 interviews: 1 analytical based about the web design and during the 2-1interview, the interviewer keep changing the condition and the requirements for the question, and ask me to write the code.

2.competency base based on CV and previous experience, teamwork.

Still waiting for response

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2014.

2 rounds of interviews, the first round was a 2:1 panel and consisted of mainly behavioral, although try not to give the typical answers for Why GS and Why Ops. They hear these answers from 100s of others so try stand out when answering these.

2 days later I was invited to the Final round which consisted of 3 back to back interviews, all behavioral however when I myself mentioned something technical that I had read in the news they did ask follow up questions so make sure you understand anything that you talk about. All in all very friendly and well organised.

I received my offer a week later.

Interview Questions
    • If you were taking 100 people from A to B, how would you go about doing it   Answer Question
    No negotiation, it is a graduate contract

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2014.

The application process is simple; just a cover letter and CV to be submitted. I then waited a month before I was invited to the first round of interviews. The day after I completed my interview (one to one and entirely based on competency, with the opening question being 'Tell me about your main accomplishments'), I was invited to the 2nd round of interviews, which I am yet to complete.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you've made a mistake and had to recover from it?   View Answer

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2014.

Applied online. After a few weeks I attended the first round of interviews. In the first 30 minutes all applicants had to write down their individual solution to a web design exercise. After that, these solutions had to be explained to an employee of the technology department in a 30 minute interview.
    The next interview was fairly technical. The interviewers asked about Java garbage collection, data/ memory management and comparison of different programming languages. Additionally, they asked about projects described on my CV/ cover letter.

After two days I was invited to the final round of interviews. The round was divided into three competency based interviews mostly focusing on the CV, cover letter, motivations for applying to Goldman Sachs and specifically the technology division.

The interviews can be techincal or competency based depending on what you say or what is written in your CV/ cover letter.

I received an offer two days later.

Interview Questions
    • What do you least like about Java? Is there any manual memory management involved in Java and In which cases is the garbage collector in Java less/ more efficient than the manual memory management in C/ C++?   Answer Question
    Offer via phone without room for negotiation (I did not ask at least)

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

I applied for One year work placement however just to point out that the summer interns go through the same process. Application process was bit odd relative to other IBs. Online application, CV and 300 words motivational letter (they care a lot about these), first round interview and final round interview.
    The online application was straight forward as you can expect from a big company. Take care of the motivational statement and match your skills with their "12 Business Principles", it's the best way to make yourself stand out. As you may have heard to apply early to get screened early- yes, you've heard right.
    First round interview consists of Analytical Thinking Exercise (ATE), a technical interview based on the exercise you did earlier and a competency based interview. Honestly you can't prepare for ATE, just have your tech head on and you'll be fine. Tech interview would be just to see how you went about it, see if there's anything else you can do to given more time and that. Competency based interview would be just to see if you have "bullshitted" in your CV- they won't go deep.
    Final round would be of 3 competency based interview however it'd be fairly technical so don't be too surprised if asked what's a tree set! This time they'll go deep down in your CV and pretty much check you against everything you've listed in there. Then it's the normal drills you gotta follow, tell them what you've learned from it and da da da.
    Goldman insists on Leadership and wants leaders in their firm (however don't go over the top showing them that you RULE people in your team lol). Also they are quite adamant to the fact that they'll teach you to code so don't worry if you aren't the best coder in your uni (like me).
    Be personable, attend any events if possible, be confident, enthusiastic, read the news, ask meaningful questions (they love it) and just be curious really.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't realise final round interview was fairly technical despite of mentioning it'd be competency based.   Answer Question
    Best tech in IBs. Good and quick career progression. Best in class training. Probable graduate position.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Online application after meeting them at a job fair. After 3 weeks invitation to first interview in their office (30min), afterwards final round of interviews (3x30min). Did not have final round yet.
    First round was purely behavioural based but nothing out of the ordinary. Show confidence and have a good story or to possibly a laugh. They want to know if it would be pleasant to work with you.