Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in Utah

Updated Oct 29, 2014

3.3

187 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied online and was contacted a few days later. They flew me out to Salt Lake City and I interviewed with them in person. Nothing they asked was unexpected or a curveball. It was a round robin of four interviews in 30 minute intervals.

Interview Questions
    • Rank the following in order from most to least important: Customer service, risk management, and efficiency   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied online and got an e-mail inviting me for a phone interview. The phone interview was 30 minutes with a member of the team I'd be involved with. The questions were mostly behavioral. They asked about ethical dilemmas, how you work in a team, etc. Two weeks later, I was contacted for a second round interview. They flew me out to Salt Lake City where the interview was only an hour long. I had half hour sessions with two senior members, so four people total. The questions again were mostly behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest part was being asked to teach them a concept in accounting and teach them a concept in finance.   Answer Question

I had a much better offer already and I didn't feel like I would fit in well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I originally met with Goldman for an informational interview on my college campus. I later applied online through my career services at school. About 3 weeks later I got invited to Salt Lake City for a series of interviews that lasted 2 hours in total. The interviews aren't particularly difficult at all. Most of the questions are behavioral or ethical in nature. The interviewers are very friendly so there is no reason to be nervous. Be prepared to answer why you want to work for Goldman, Why Operations, and come up with a few examples of ethical dilemmas you've been through and operation processes you have helped improve in past work (if applicable). Be confident and you will get it. They are more testing your personality than your qualifications.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you identified and improved a process at past work?   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

I received an email from Goldman requesting a resume drop. Applied online and heard that I was selected for final round interviews in Salt Lake a week and a half later. The interview process consisted of four back to back interviews of 30 minutes each. Each interview had two VPs with different departments. Questions were mainly behavioral, and it appeared your process of thinking a question over was more important than the final answer. They are also looking for a good fit, so they'll ask many questions to see if you would work well with their team. By the last few interviews it was difficult to keep the intense focus they are looking for, but that is probably part of what they are looking at as well. Received an offer about three weeks after the interviews. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Mainly Questions to see how you think about processes. When was a time you failed in front of people and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    No Negotiation

Credit Risk Management & Advisory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

Was called in in for an interview, turned into 3 back to back interviews with people of increasing seniority. Mostly behavioral stuff, walk me through your resume and relate past experience to the job requirements. Interviewers were courteous.

New Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

I applied for the finance division, and I was interviewed for the controllers position. I was contacted initially via email for a telephone screening. A week after the screening, I was contacted for a on-site interview only two days later. The interview was two, half-hour interviews with two people each time.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me about the doings of the European Central Bank, which was relevant to my resume.   Answer Question

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

Applied online. Work on your cover letter, they read it through! Phone call after a week. On site interview with 3 people each for 30 minutes. Mainly technical questions about DB, linux, Php. Some behavioral questions too. Questions about teamwork. They also studied my resume. Talking about interesting shifts at GS. Very nice people.

Interview Questions
    • which location would you choose: NY with career opportunities less salary or SLC with less opportunities but more salary.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

Applied through university system. Wasn't very tough except the interviewer caught me off guard with mental math. Know your resume and what skills from your resume you can bring into a research position. Also know technical finance questions. Simple IS, BS, and CF stuff. The interviewer was definitively dry and came across as not very friendly. Be diligent and stay prepared for math questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why would "x" (on resume) help you in a position doing research.?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

I applied for an investment banking analyst position in there Salt Lake City office through my school's career center. The next day I received an email from their HR department requesting a phone interview with me. I received a call the next day from a senior banker in there NY office, and I was expecting more of a relaxed behavior initial screen, but it was more of an interrogation than anything.

Interview Questions
    • No technicals, just asking questions along the line of "what makes you think you have what it takes to be an investment banker," "why didn't you have a 4.0 in undergrad."   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2014.

I was hired for their CRMA division. It took a month for them to get back after I submitted my application. The entire interview process took 2 months, mostly due to the availability of interviewers. I waited for exactly 2 weeks to hear back after the final interview.
    The overall interview process was very positive. Needless to say that everyone was very professional. There were 8 half-hour back-to-back interviews, all conducted over the phone. There were some typical behavioral questions including tell me about yourself, tell me a time when you had a heavy workload, tell me about a project at your latest internship... etc. You need to know your resume very well. I don't have a very strong finance background, so they didn't ask very advanced finance questions, though there were still some basic technical questions such as what is credit risk, how would you analyze a company's credit risk, what role does debt plays in credit risk analysis, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were expected. The most unexpected question was what do you think is the most important thing to GS at this point?   View Answer
    No negotiation. The salary is fair.