Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Vice President

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I was hired as an "experienced hire" and had about 15 interviews, up to the CIO at the time. It was a different time, and the emphasis on getting fresh, experienced talent was there in IT.

Interview Question – Tell me about the most difficult professional challenge you've had to deal with in the past 5 years   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My recruiter at the time did negotiate and got me a very decent base salary. I had no idea how good the cash year-end bonus would be, so my gross yearly salary ended up being easily 3x my prior job.

They did change my job title in the end though. Verbally they said I would be a Technical Analyst Level 3, but when I got the offer letter it was specified as TA02. I called and questioned it, but they said, "Oh, it doesn't matter.. it's just a title and it doesn't change the amount of money we've offered." A year later I was promoted and I was given a raise (every year for 8 years, by the way), but I don't believe the initial title change didn't impact something.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – 12 interviews over 2 month period (mainly due availability of interviewers). Emphasize being a team player who is also a self starter. Workaholic tendencies encouraged. Know the 14 business principles, history of the firm, etc.

Interview Question – Why are you a job hopper (nearly half the employees are lifers -- having more than three jobs is considered job hopping).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They will offer you the same base, with emphasis that you will be eligible for a bonus. Negotiate. Likelihood that all 12+ interviewers all agreed on another candidate is slim and they don't want to go through the interview process again.

Vice President

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – Be prepared for 10+ interviews

Interview Question – In my case, nothing too difficult or unexpected. Be prepared to discuss previous experiences in an insightful manner.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – Met with 10 people, either live, VC, or phone

Interview Question – When in your life have you works the hardest?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2012.

Interview Details – Called by HR person about a week after submitting resume. Interview was with hiring manager and managing director. Basic questions about background etc. Questions related to position and why I wanted to work with GS. Called back in about 3 days from HR person that they selected another person.

Interview Question – Why did I want to work with GS (it's obvious why but having a legit reason is harder).   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2011.

Interview Details – Had 17 interviews for a specific role, only to be told that the role was no longer available. They considered me for another position and I had an additional 5 interviews. Of the 22 interviews, 3 were with Partner MDs. Overall, was a long and grueling interview process spanning 3+ months. Most of the interview questions were behavioral, with a few technical questions.

Interview Question – Most of the interview questions were behavioral and meant to learn more about my past experience. Several questions were technical.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Worked with a recruiter, so that helped with the negotiation phase.

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details – Extremely extensive interview process - took 5 months. Had ~20 interviews (about 4 per day over more than 5 visits). The firm wants complete consensus on your hiring to make sure you can fit into many roles seamlessly. Unlike other firms that keep you in the same job, the goal here is to move you around every few years so you become incredibly well rounded and well versed in the workings of the overall firm.
Background checks are extremely thorough. As a hiring Manager, I once had HCM (HR) reject a candidate I hired because their resume was 0.1 points off from their actual GPA (even though they had been out of school for years). Make sure your information is extremely accurate of you will have your offer rescinded.

Interview Question – Nothing stands out - each interview was simply a chance to get to know you. No cases or pretentious questions - all interviewers were extremely friendly and welcoming.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted in September, 2011, by an outside recruiter. He sent me a brief questionnaire asking some fairly basic questions about options. I was called in for interviews on FOUR separate occasions, meeting 15 people (2 partners, 7 MD's, 6 VP's). One of those 15 people has been a partner for roughly ten years and told me at the end of my interview, "Well, if they want you, I see no reason not to hire you." I was assured by the recruiter and several others that the job was mine. As someone who takes people at their word, I assumed a job offer would be coming shortly. However, the recruiter called me back to let me know that one person didn't like my lack of experience in an area where I have a ton of experience. When I told the recruiter that the explanation was untrue, he said, "He said you were nervous too." Amazingly, not one other person said that, so I responded, "I don't get nervous in interviews." The recruiter said, "Well, that's what he said." Needless to say, I was not impressed by the interviewing process.

Interview Question – Probability and risk-based   Answer Question

Tokyo (Japan)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2010.

Interview Details – You will be interviewed by at least 10 people. They don't all need to agree but should. If they do offer you it means you are viewed as "in" the team.

Interview Question – What is your core competency...if you were to do any job, what would it be? ( and don't simply say the job you are applying for...)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I declined it at first but accepted it after we clarified the position and expectations further. Be prepared to walk away if you don't get that "hell yeah!" Feeling in your gut.

Bangalore (India)

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Interview Details – Very Lenghty, take time to communicate, 1st interview happened in a week via telecon, the next one took more than a month, and then still longer

Interview Question – I would not say anything was difficult, it was more in communication and constant followup with HR is what takes toll   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had joined elsewhere

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!