Goldman Sachs

Updated Sep 25, 2014

3.3

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Vice President Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Multiple interviews across team members. Several days of appointments. Everyone was on time for interviews and questions were primarily seeking how I was as a leader and how my experience would be applied in current/available role.

Interview Questions
  • Did not find any question too difficult. Most questions related to skills and experience I had, and being able to tell how I'd apply them in the position for which I was interviewing.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Vice President Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I was hired as an "experienced hire" and had about 15 interviews, up to the CIO at the time. It was a different time, and the emphasis on getting fresh, experienced talent was there in IT.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the most difficult professional challenge you've had to deal with in the past 5 years   Answer Question
    My recruiter at the time did negotiate and got me a very decent base salary. I had no idea how good the cash year-end bonus would be, so my gross yearly salary ended up being easily 3x my prior job.

They did change my job title in the end though. Verbally they said I would be a Technical Analyst Level 3, but when I got the offer letter it was specified as TA02. I called and questioned it, but they said, "Oh, it doesn't matter.. it's just a title and it doesn't change the amount of money we've offered." A year later I was promoted and I was given a raise (every year for 8 years, by the way), but I don't believe the initial title change didn't impact something.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

12 interviews over 2 month period (mainly due availability of interviewers). Emphasize being a team player who is also a self starter. Workaholic tendencies encouraged. Know the 14 business principles, history of the firm, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you a job hopper (nearly half the employees are lifers -- having more than three jobs is considered job hopping).   View Answer
    They will offer you the same base, with emphasis that you will be eligible for a bonus. Negotiate. Likelihood that all 12+ interviewers all agreed on another candidate is slim and they don't want to go through the interview process again.

Vice President Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Be prepared for 10+ interviews

Interview Questions
    • In my case, nothing too difficult or unexpected. Be prepared to discuss previous experiences in an insightful manner.   Answer Question

Met with 10 people, either live, VC, or phone

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Extremely extensive interview process - took 5 months. Had ~20 interviews (about 4 per day over more than 5 visits). The firm wants complete consensus on your hiring to make sure you can fit into many roles seamlessly. Unlike other firms that keep you in the same job, the goal here is to move you around every few years so you become incredibly well rounded and well versed in the workings of the overall firm.
    Background checks are extremely thorough. As a hiring Manager, I once had HCM (HR) reject a candidate I hired because their resume was 0.1 points off from their actual GPA (even though they had been out of school for years). Make sure your information is extremely accurate of you will have your offer rescinded.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing stands out - each interview was simply a chance to get to know you. No cases or pretentious questions - all interviewers were extremely friendly and welcoming.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2012.

Called by HR person about a week after submitting resume. Interview was with hiring manager and managing director. Basic questions about background etc. Questions related to position and why I wanted to work with GS. Called back in about 3 days from HR person that they selected another person.

Interview Questions
    • Why did I want to work with GS (it's obvious why but having a legit reason is harder).   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in December 2011.

I was initially contacted in September, 2011, by an outside recruiter. He sent me a brief questionnaire asking some fairly basic questions about options. I was called in for interviews on FOUR separate occasions, meeting 15 people (2 partners, 7 MD's, 6 VP's). One of those 15 people has been a partner for roughly ten years and told me at the end of my interview, "Well, if they want you, I see no reason not to hire you." I was assured by the recruiter and several others that the job was mine. As someone who takes people at their word, I assumed a job offer would be coming shortly. However, the recruiter called me back to let me know that one person didn't like my lack of experience in an area where I have a ton of experience. When I told the recruiter that the explanation was untrue, he said, "He said you were nervous too." Amazingly, not one other person said that, so I responded, "I don't get nervous in interviews." The recruiter said, "Well, that's what he said." Needless to say, I was not impressed by the interviewing process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in November 2011.

Had 17 interviews for a specific role, only to be told that the role was no longer available. They considered me for another position and I had an additional 5 interviews. Of the 22 interviews, 3 were with Partner MDs. Overall, was a long and grueling interview process spanning 3+ months. Most of the interview questions were behavioral, with a few technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the interview questions were behavioral and meant to learn more about my past experience. Several questions were technical.   Answer Question
    Worked with a recruiter, so that helped with the negotiation phase.

Vice President Interview

Many rounds, long process that requires patience n preparation. Thoughtful process with interesting interview questions that aim to get to know you as an individual. Should be sincere and thoughtful in your answers and know what you want and don't want. Not for the faint hearted