Goldman Sachs Vice President Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.3

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2015.

Interview

Multiple interviews. Positive feedback from the team and recruiters, but at the end talking about salary expectations I understood that they were looking for a more junior person, and they did not care about years of experience. Sad they did not clarify that from the beginning when I was asked about my expectations

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

One to one interview held with Internal Audit division in New York. The interview consisted of intelligent and relevant questions centered on aspects of the old job such as risk and control mindset, analytical skills, communication skills and so forth.

Interview Questions

• Risk and control mindset applied to a real life scenario   1 Answer

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Multiple interviews across team members. Several days of appointments. Everyone was on time for interviews and questions were primarily seeking how I was as a leader and how my experience would be applied in current/available role.

Interview Questions

• Did not find any question too difficult. Most questions related to skills and experience I had, and being able to tell how I'd apply them in the position for which I was interviewing.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

I was hired as an "experienced hire" and had about 15 interviews, up to the CIO at the time. It was a different time, and the emphasis on getting fresh, experienced talent was there in IT.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most difficult professional challenge you've had to deal with in the past 5 years   Answer Question

Negotiation

My recruiter at the time did negotiate and got me a very decent base salary. I had no idea how good the cash year-end bonus would be, so my gross yearly salary ended up being easily 3x my prior job. They did change my job title in the end though. Verbally they said I would be a Technical Analyst Level 3, but when I got the offer letter it was specified as TA02. I called and questioned it, but they said, "Oh, it doesn't matter.. it's just a title and it doesn't change the amount of money we've offered." A year later I was promoted and I was given a raise (every year for 8 years, by the way), but I don't believe the initial title change didn't impact something.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

12 interviews over 2 month period (mainly due availability of interviewers). Emphasize being a team player who is also a self starter. Workaholic tendencies encouraged. Know the 14 business principles, history of the firm, etc.

Interview Questions

• Why are you a job hopper (nearly half the employees are lifers -- having more than three jobs is considered job hopping).   1 Answer

Negotiation

They will offer you the same base, with emphasis that you will be eligible for a bonus. Negotiate. Likelihood that all 12+ interviewers all agreed on another candidate is slim and they don't want to go through the interview process again.

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Be prepared for 10+ interviews

Interview Questions

• In my case, nothing too difficult or unexpected. Be prepared to discuss previous experiences in an insightful manner.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Interview

Met with 10 people, either live, VC, or phone

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

It was a dual round process, with a focus both on personality fit as well as on financial modeling skills and critical thinking. Although very intense, I actually enjoyed the interview process, learning a lot about Goldman Sachs and honing my own financial skills. I would highly recommend potential applicants that they come prepared.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

Called by HR person about a week after submitting resume. Interview was with hiring manager and managing director. Basic questions about background etc. Questions related to position and why I wanted to work with GS. Called back in about 3 days from HR person that they selected another person.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to work with GS (it's obvious why but having a legit reason is harder).   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

I was initially contacted in September, 2011, by an outside recruiter. He sent me a brief questionnaire asking some fairly basic questions about options. I was called in for interviews on FOUR separate occasions, meeting 15 people (2 partners, 7 MD's, 6 VP's). One of those 15 people has been a partner for roughly ten years and told me at the end of my interview, "Well, if they want you, I see no reason not to hire you." I was assured by the recruiter and several others that the job was mine. As someone who takes people at their word, I assumed a job offer would be coming shortly. However, the recruiter called me back to let me know that one person didn't like my lack of experience in an area where I have a ton of experience. When I told the recruiter that the explanation was untrue, he said, "He said you were nervous too." Amazingly, not one other person said that, so I responded, "I don't get nervous in interviews." The recruiter said, "Well, that's what he said." Needless to say, I was not impressed by the interviewing process.