Goldman Sachs

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Vice President Technology Interview

Vice President Technology

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview. Multiple on site interviews with several people. Hr interview. Sr member of staff interview. Long process. Everybody had to like me or I was rejected. I saw this on the other side as I started to interview people. During the process the hr person turned over a few times. This should have been a warning.

Interview Question – Technical subject matter questions SQL. Some unix questions and java questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Meet with hr. Verbal offer. Lots of talk about how amazing the bonus will be, but no promises. Not open to counter offers.

Vice President -Technology Interview

Vice President -Technology
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details – I was interviewed as a consultant so the experience was not the same as it is for most people. I talked to the managing director and the lead manager I was working for - normally many more rounds of interviews are required and the process takes much longer. GS is very thorough before hiring - delays sometimes means not being able to hire the people they want.

Interview Question – Just asked about my background - nothing very specific.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - surprisingly exceeded my expectations when i converted from consultant to full time.

Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2013.

Interview Details – I had 3 interviews in total: 30 minute phone screening with 2 Sr. level technologists, face to face interview with hiring managers and other 3 other members of the group, and last interview took place with HR corporate recruiter.

Interview Question – All interview questions were pretty much standard. All of them had been about my background.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Goldman asks for your compensation details for the past 3 years. They based their offer based on my total comp information, what others are making within the firm and the market. Their extending offer process is pretty involved and requires several levels of approvals as a result once the offer is extended it is final.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Jersey City, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is long and arduous and you will generally meet with a dozen or more interviewers, mostly in-person, though there may be some phone interviews with individuals who are located in remote offices. Goldman Sachs strives to hire talented individuals who can fit into the culture, which includes community give-back and cultivating leaders.

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

Tokyo (Japan)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2008.

Interview Details – Internal ref feral candidates are preferred. Be prepared for a large number of interview rounds.. not only from the people that you'd work for, but also from your piers, people who'd work for you and global counterparts ! Its not uncommon to have 12-15 interviews or may be more !

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now ?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Vice-President - Technology Interview

Vice-President - Technology
Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2011.

Interview Details – 13 - 15 interviews

local in-person and global phone call interviews

Didnt tell me much about the position or type of skills I would be using ...

Interview Question – question about all their different groups and acronyms they have .. i mean who cares... and and who can remember in the midst of interviews....   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation .. they give you a salary.. if you negotiate up thy WILL take it out of your bonus at the end of the year like a friend of mine.

They tend to bring you in at a level below you deserve ... everyone tells me this all the time.

they tell you they only have associate analyst VP and then MDs .. what they don't tell you is the VP-02, VP-03, VP-M1, VP-M2 all inside the VP level... all you have to go through before MD.

So this idea there are only 4 levels is not accurate

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!