Golfsmith

2.0

Supervisor Interview

Interview with GM of store and a member of HR

Interview Questions

There was no negotiation phase.

Retail Communications Translator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Golfsmith.

I was contacted initially for a preliminary phone interview with the recruiter. He did not have a clear understanding of the job for which he was hiring, but was friendly and asked some very general questions. The interaction was positive, and I was contacted for a second interview with the regional manager. This interview was a little more in-depth, however she did most of the talking, didn't ask very many questions of me. I felt that I was just something that had been penciled in to her busy schedule, as she called me from her cell phone, ahead of schedule, and said she had just dropped her children off at school? She said she was very interested in my candidacy due to my experience and background and she forwarded a translation test for me to take. I took the translation test, and can only surmise I passed it as I was contacted for a third interview, this time in the language into which I would be translating. The interviewer was very jocular and polite, it went well and I was told I would be contacted soon.
    One month went by, then two... I was offered another job in the meantime, which I accepted.
    This entire process with took about 3 months, and there was no closure. I never found out why I was not contacted back after devoting that much time to three (positive?) interviews and a translation test which I passed. In retrospect, their lack of organization and follow-through hinted to that this may not be a company in which I would like to forge a career, and it is a lack of professionalism to not call an applicant back to let them know their candidacy will no longer be considered.

Sales Associate Interview

Simple behavioral questions and questions about my resume.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Golfsmith in July 2012.

Typical situational interview. Strengths, weaknesses, why did you leave your last job? Do you like golf? why do you want to work here? what do you know about Golfsmith?

Interview Questions
    • Not very difficult. Some technical questions that were related to the job.   Answer Question
    Quick. They made an offer the day I left, and started a few days latter.

Art Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Golfsmith in September 2011.

I am a highly experienced Art Director coming from both a corporate and agency backgrounds, with more skills and talent than this company could possibly handle. I've seen the Art Director position posted on and off every six months for the last three years. It's incredible how much turn over there is, leading me to believe management can neither hire, nor retain quality staff.

Human Resources Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Golfsmith in December 2010.

Received a call from a very inexperienced recruiter. Spent an hour on the phone. Was told I'd receive a follow up call from the Hiring VP either the next day or the following Monday. Q week passed and no call. 2 weeks passed and no call. Called the company and left a message. No returned call. Approximately 8 weeks after sending my resume I received an email saying they selected another candidate. If these guys reall want to compete for top talent, they need to move their process along and communicate better. I accepted another position three weeks before I got the rejection e-mail.
    If this is how it is before hire, I can't even imagine how slow they must move internally....I would not consider working there again.

Store Inventory Receiver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Golfsmith in March 2010.

Job Fair interview process
    - submitted completed application and resume
    - Interviewed with District Manager, asked to meet with store manager
    - Interviewed with Store Manager
    - Store manager indicated I was overqualified for the position and asked if I would get bored with the posted position.

- Called for follow-up - NO personal follow-up on their part
    - Received generic, "we'll keep your application on file" response

Marketing Specialist Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Golfsmith in February 2012.

The first interview was one-on-one and was very easy, they requested the typical information about experience and also clarified the job description and responsibilities.

The second interview was with 2 individuals which was more formal and requested specific experience examples.

Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Golfsmith in July 2011.

I was caled for an interview about a week after applying. The HR staff I spoke with was nice, upbeat and shared good insights about the company's growth. At the end of the conversation, I was referred on to second phase

Interview Questions

After having spoke with HR staff, I was sent a link to complete an online application. Having completed the basic information (job history, education etc) I was brought to a screen that described how---NOT ONLY did Golfsmith require a credit check as a prerequisite for employment for a non-managerial and non-financial related position, but also REQUIRES candidates that become employees to consent to Golfsmith having continued access to financial and other private documents for the expressed purpose of use in performance evaluations, retention and promotion processes. What's more, Golfsmith also REQUIRES applicants to waive any and all rights to damages or liability claims that may arise from the release or use of such information gathering practices.

To me, this practice literally in-credible. To ask a prospective employee to sign their rights away in perpetuity as a condition of employment. To require an employee to grant their employers the right to collect personal information and use that to evaluate their workplace performance for such a position. Such policies are a mark of a highly dysfunctional organization.

To be fair, a lot of companies have started to use such tactics because they believe that they will get better return on each new hire. Fact is, any company that expects an employee to sign away rights to private information for the express purpose to evaluate at-work performance, will get neither performance nor loyalty. Rather, will get attrition and resentment---the kind of behavior bad management breeds anyways. Indeed, despite a good interview, and a great company profile, learning this about Golfsmith made me wonder how confident hiring staff and management were in their own decision making. Made me wonder how important they figured themselves to be---that they could require consent from an employee to do such things.

Not for me.

Copywriter Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Golfsmith in February 2007.

The HR person first called me and basically asked why I wanted to work there and how I felt my experience would transition into their workplace.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Golfsmith?   View Answer

Decided to work for another organization