Golin Interview Questions

Updated Jan 25, 2015
Updated Jan 25, 2015

2.7

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Golin.

Interview

They were very professional and made the interview process fun. All candidates were interviewed in two days in two groups, so it was nice to see other people in your position. You interview with 2-3 people at a time for 3-4 rounds. It made it hard to remember everyone's names, so make sure you write it down or ask for their card to write them thank you notes.

Communications Strategy Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Golin.

Interview

Got a reply to my application one month after submitting. Had one intro call and they asked for some follow-up notes, then went dark. Totally dark. I got one single line response stating that the process was delayed a couple weeks internally.

Two months, a handful of unanswered check-in emails later, and nothing.

The issue here is the total lack of respect for a candidate you've already spoken with, and not having the respect to at least communicate whether the position was filled or they've cancelled it all together. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and soils the reputation of the recruiter and the company in a small community where reputation means a lot.

Public Relations Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Golin in November 2014.

Interview

Had a great in-person interview with several members of the team. They loved my experience and enthusiasm for the position. Left feeling as though I would be offered the position, then they went silent. I followed up several times via email and phone, with no response. A month of unanswered emails later, I finally hear that they have filled the position with a candidate that was friends with someone that worked there - even though I was more qualified for the position. Didn't appreciate the way they treated me after the interview and certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Golin (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online, heard back a month later. Had a phone interview, then was immediately asked to come in for an in-person interview. I met with three people while I was there, all nice women. The office in LA was very nice and located literally in the heart of the financial district. The interview experience was a good one. It felt a bit rushed because I could tell they were busy based on their comments.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths? What makes you a better fit for this position than other candidates?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

It was very friendly. They had us in private rooms and interviewers will rotate every 10 minutes. The rotation happens 4 times and you would meet employees from entry level positions to senior and managerial positions. Overall it was a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• After working in a team, what would you like their impression of you to be?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Golin (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Had two rounds of interviews. One was with the VP and then with the Associates I would be working under. The initial screening is with the HR department and they definitely want people with previous internship experience. If you have that and can talk about it confidently, getting the job is easy.

Account Supervisor/Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Golin (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and asked to meet with a group of hiring managers. It's important to note that this was the second time I've been asked to meet with GolinHarris about an available opportunity. The first time, I had an excellent meeting but shortly after, the recruiter fell silent. I found out later that a freeze was placed on the search because they failed to obtain a client. A few years passed and I met with GolinHarris again. Like my previous experience, my impression of the interview process was again, less than stellar. After being told that I would be a "great fit", I met with a few of the hiring managers. Albeit, the meeting went very well but one of the people that was supposed to join us for the meeting flaked, resulting in them asking me to come in again when that person was available. Long story short, the second meeting never happened and after following-up, I received an email 2 weeks later where I was given a generic reason for the change of heart. Side note: These interviews are long, so be prepared. Both times were well over 2 hrs.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any "difficult" questions per se, but there were a lot of detailed questions where examples where required. Most questions that were asked were of average difficulty, some requiring slightly more thought than others. The interview felt very much like a conversation, but you definitely won't get away with giving throwaway answers.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Golin (Costa Mesa, CA).

Interview

Straightforward as far as PR internships go. Online application and several in person interviews at the office. Team was friendly and smart!

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Golin (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone interview, in person interview with two people. The position wasn't fully established and it was apparent the hiring manager needed hand holding to be on time. The person was 25 minutes late to a phone interview and left me waiting in their office lobby for 1.5 hours for the interview. Completely unprofessional and rude. The person was a bit curt in the interview and at times combative and rude, as though they were interviewing me as a favor. They are very senior in the company and presumably very intelligent but gave me a very bad impression of GolinHarris.

I was also informed the previous person left the position because they worked 12-16 hour days because there was no management oversight of them or their workload.

I was also told that no one particularly cares about the NYC office and that priority is in Chicago.

Interview Questions

• Come up with a marketing strategy for a client's product on the spot.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Golin (Atlanta, GA) in January 2013.

Interview

It's a comfortable facility. I was greeted with warm smiles and anticipation. They offered me coffee and within a few minutes I was interviewed. Two people interviewed me. They only asked a few questions. They were basic straightforward. Both interviewees asked the same questions. I was expecting a different set of questions from each interviewee. I wonder what the reason was to ask the same set of questions. Overall, it was a pleasing experience. After the interview, I was led to another room where I took a 2 hour writing test. The test wasn't too hard, but if you have test anxiety issues like me then it will become difficult. There are three parts. The first is to write a press release. They give you a fact sheet to go by. The second part they test you on is your AP style and editing skills. They will have you edit a press release using AP style marks and the last one is to write a paragraph or two on your favorite color. 2 hours is a long enough time to take the exam, but I found the time went very fast because I'm nervous and over thinking everything. You have to really come prepared for the exam. You may have given a good interview, but the test is such a major factor in rather or not they will hire you as an intern. Be prepared to write a good press release, have prior knowledge of AP style marks, and know how to write well enough. If you fail or give a mediocre performance on the test, then it may kill your chances of getting the position. That's my advice. Take the test seriously!

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. The questions asked were simple.   1 Answer