Good Technology Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.6

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Good Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Design portfolio review together with several UX/UI designers in a conference room, and a few more on the phone via WebEx. Some questions were smart, some others not too much.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if the design implementation of a planned set of features is poor and the release must go live within one day?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Terrible process. Really unpleasant and unprofessional experience. My job offer went from being accepted to being changed at the last minute by a margin of $25K to finally being signed off again and approved by VP of Finance for the initial amount offered. HUGE red flag.

Agile Project Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Good Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

One phone screen by HR One phone screen by hiring manager On site interview - panel of 5 interviews, followed by meeting with the hiring manager and discussion with HR. I received a phone call from the recruiter a couple of days later to notify that they would like to continue with the process. There was a hiring terms discussion, followed by offer that had to be signed within 2 days

Interview Questions

• Do you belive that each team member should be able to take any user story from the backlog?   Answer Question
    • What is step #1 in Agile adoption?   Answer Question
    • whos role is to breakdown large user stories to small ones?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary negotiation in a very positive open way

Technical Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Good Technology in July 2014.

Interview

Typical interview process, nothing spectacular. Quick phone interview with the recruiter who seemed a bit distracted, then asked to come in for a face-to-face with about 4 people, all went very well. Was told I would be brought back for a second, no follow up from the recruiter although I was told I did very well during the interviews. In my opinion the corporate recruiter was overworked or just did not care about the candidate experience never responded to my email, after I took 4 hours out of my day to meet with them.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Good Technology (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I have never worked with a more thorough, thoughtful and considerate recruiter. From the beginning of the entire process until the end, he keep me in the loop at every turn. Starting with a phone screen where he really took to the time to understand what I was trying to accomplish with my search, what I was passionate about, this was awesome and a first. After my phone screen with the computer he scheduled a call with the hiring manager. The hiring manager asked me questions about my previous work, what excited me about, what contributions I was most excited about, and he too wanted to know the purpose of my search and what I was trying to achieve. He asked me a few basic technical questions, but I got the sense that he was looking first for fit in terms of passion for the actual work. The onsite interview took one day, took approximately four hours, and I meet not only with the entire team, but I also meet with the hiring manager and the VP. At each stage in the interview process the recruiter personally introduced me to each interviewer, it was great. I didn't feel like I was interviewing at all, but rather a guest in their home.

Interview Questions

• I will not reveal the technical aspect of the interview, but I will suggest that the interviewers start with basics and gradually escalate the questions. For the questions I didn't know, they assume the role of a teammate and walked me through the problems until I grasped what they were looking for and solve it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

From the very beginning of the process the recruiter was transparent and candid. On the first call he asked me for my current salary, and the month and year of my last review. He asked me what I was looking for, then gave me the range of the position. At this point he acknowledged that I was above the range for the position. He asked if I was still interested in moving forward, and I told him I was. He told me candidly that he would do the best he could to get the approval to match my current salary, but that it wasn't a sure thing. The way he openly explained to me that the company was very conservative with their spending, and that they fiscally responsible. He said the company didn't want to be the start up that didn't make it, because they overspent. At the offer stage they were unable to match my current salary, short roughly $5,000. I accepted the position anyway figuring I would make back over time as the result of my shorter commute, and the far more interesting work I would be engaged with.

Principal Software Engineer/Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Good Technology (San Diego, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I was scheduled for an on-site interview for a week later after contact with recruiter. However, during the week leading up to the interview, the third-party recruiter informed me that they interviewed another candidate on-site for the same role, and she wanted to share with me some feedback that she was given by that candidate. Basically, this candidate felt like he did terrible on the on-site interview because he was given questions "not really relevant to the job" and questions for which the answers were "textbook" solutions that are not necessarily used today or in this role's specific job duties. I think this is a sign of an immature engineering group. Because I am picky about the people I work with (I work with a great team now), this was a red flag to me. I am always really disappointed to find engineers asking questions like, "Sort this array using no built-in methods or third-party libraries". The question in and of itself is not useless, but usually it’s to know: Have they memorized the ultimate solution that was invented in the mid-late 1900s by computer scientists? When an engineer asks questions like this with #2 as their motivation, I already know that they are not qualified to interview me. Myself- I prefer to spend my time solving problems that HAVE NOT YET BEEN SOLVED. It is indeed to understand the space and complexity of algorithms that one uses that are abstracted into libraries and built-in methods, but beyond that, who cares unless you're doing C or C++? I can teach a dog to memorize a computer science textbook. During my actual on site, they were all expected questions to which, luckily enough, I happened to remember the common textbook solutions. I told myself going into it, however, that I wouldn't give them any textbook answers but rather come up with a different/creative way of solving whatever technical challenges they gave me. Yeah, call me a snob, but I know my worth and the value I have brought to software organizations so, when I'm interviewing for the position...guess what...I am the one doing the interviewing. Good Technology needed to prove to me that they were worth leaving what I currently have at a Fortune 500 company. And they failed. Every engineer/manager that asked me questions asked me technical puzzles that are probably in the top 5 "interview questions" when Googling "Software Engineer interview questions". So, sincerely, I attempted to come up with new solutions to whatever problems they presented me with in order to exhibit my problem-solving capabilities (because, again, who cares about memorization ability?), then talked through the O() notation of my solutions to hopefully hint to them that I was very conscious of what I was doing. Unfortunately Good Technology's engineers could not see past the fact that I didn't give them their textbook solutions, further convincing me that they are not a practical-minded development team, but are rather looking for someone who has obselete knowledge because, in their mind, that's what makes for a Principal Engineer. Notice- they asked me ZERO questions that would demonstrate my ability to do the ACTUAL job. Instead, they each spent an hour giving me irrelevant questions. They didn't even say, "We just want to see how you solve problems". No, when I did solve each problem, their response was simply, "No, that's not right.". As expected, I suppose. Last big red flag- I took notes on this... I asked ALL my interviewers what is most IMPORTANT to them in this role and on their team. They all unanimously responded, "The people. The personalities. The way people fit together." Yet, they spent less than 5% of the time asking me questions that spoke about my personality and team fit. That tells me one of two things: 1. Deep down they don't care about the personalities and team fit 2. They want people like THEM that have boat loads of useless knowledge, not caring whether or not they have skills applicable to the actual job. I left the interviews pretty sorry that I abandoned my current team for 6 hours to interview with such a poorly developed Software Development team at Good Technology. That was my bad. I sent an e-mail to the recruiter with my feedback, and I haven't heard back from her at all. Turns out, she's just another one of those recruiters (like most) that doesn't really care about professionalism unless you can do something for her (i.e. help her meet her quota). Fortunately, I don't have a desire to hear back about the position or about Good Technology. My impression is that the entire engineering team and management are impractical, not pragmatic, and have no idea what's really important to their business as a whole. Had they at least asked me questions that made some measure of good sense (yet still didn't offer me the job), I would be singing a different tune. But alas, it was like being interviewed by a group of people who just graduated college.

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Good Technology.

Interview

The interview process at Good Technology was fine, pleasant, average, nothing to write home about, not too long of an interview process which was nice because it didn't take too long

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Good Technology (New York, NY).

Interview

Did one phone call with one person who was optimistic about my background and he scheduled another call with another woman at the company. When I told her that I not only did mobile ux, but I currently did web ux as well she abruptly ended the call saying she didn't want to take up anymore of my time and hung up on me. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Confidential Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Good Technology.

Interview

Standard fare stuff. The process started with a by-the-numbers phone call with a recruiter, followed by in-person interviews with 6 executives over the course of two days. I received an offer from another company during the process, and I was impressed by the speed and good disposition of Good's response.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual or particularly memorable. It was straightforward.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Interview

Straight forward - expect to meet 3-5 people depending on level.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Do your homework and know the industry.   Answer Question

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Good Technology in July 2013.

Interview

Called in for 1-1 interviews. 4 interviews back to back. It was shared with me that I was one of 5 being called in for 1-1's within that week and would then be determined who would be called back for final round with HRVP. Nice group of HR folks, good energy, but not well prepared - most did not have a copy of resume and I sensed never reviewed it. A few focused questions but mostly very casual conversations. Expected to hear a yes or no on further interviews - never heard back by phone or email.