Goodby, Silverstein & Partners

Relevance Date Difficulty

Junior Communications Strategist Interview

Junior Communications Strategist
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in March 2014.

Interview Details – Met with one of the hr people to talk about the position and my background before I could move on to the next steps of meeting the team. It started out great but then turned into what felt like an interrogation/therapy session for everything that was wrong with me and my resume.... basically the most humiliating hour of my life.

Interview Question – biggest challenge you've ever been faced with in life................   Answer Question

Assistant Account Manager Interview

Assistant Account Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners.

Interview Details – This is a company I had been wanting to work for throughout my advertising career. I could tell you all of their award winning campaigns and think through most of the strategic insight they unearthed. Unfortunately, the interview process really made me think twice about this agency.

I was first connected to the New York office by Rich Silverstein himself (met him at my university where he gave me a name of his coworker and I later found the person on LinkedIn). I had a brief informational interview with another woman and she referred me to HR at the San Francisco office. I contacted HR there and received very flaky responses and cancellations on phone meetings that we were supposed to have. The conversation ended there.

Five months later I contacted the same HR rep in SF, knowing she might be more interested in talking to me after getting more experience during a job I took in the meantime. She was interested and we had an informational interview that went well. She was nice and seemed friendly and easy to talk to. The interview led to her contacting me about a month later with a job opening. I was flown out to SF to meet with two account teams. I had seven interviews over the course of the two days. Times were moved around and meetings were rearranged but all seven interviews went on. The people seemed nice, though I had my reservations about the vibe of the office and the city as a whole.

Before I flew back home I sent HR a thank you note and asked when I would hear back from them. A week went by with no response so I sent another follow-up email. Nothing, so I sent another follow-up. Crickets. Another week went by (a total of 4 weeks) and I finally heard that they decided to go with another candidate.

Now if I would have heard within the first two weeks some kind of update that they were still interviewing candidates, I would have been completely fine and even more willing to accept that I did not get the job. However, after being strung along for an entire month with no update, I really lost respect for their HR process. Not something I want to deal with again.

Interview Question – After speaking about some work I had produced at my previous job, I was asked to evaluate my supervisor's decisions on the direction of the campaign.   View Answer

Junior Designer Interview

Junior Designer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in October 2011.

Interview Details – I got hired as an intern so the creative recruiter called me after looking at my book and hired me on the spot.

Interview Question – This really isn't applicable for my interview. We just chatted about general career goals and what life would be like in San Francisco since I was moving from Atlanta.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview with HR, 5 interviews live in 1 day before getting a job offer.

Interview Question – What is your favorite ad out there and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not a lot of wiggle room with salaries, as there are tiers.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in March 2010.

Interview Details – I networked in through a friend that works there. I've heard that they don't accept random applicants as they are mostly concerned about culture/fit (aka "the beer test") and a solid agency background (which is great). I interviewed with their recruiting manager first and she did a great job grilling me -- lots and lots of poignant questions like why I left certain jobs, technical questions about my capabilities/digital experience etc... a few weeks later I interviewed with account directors and a group account director... all in all, it was a good interview experience and the people are nice.

Interview Questions

Account Coordinator Interview

Account Coordinator
San Francisco, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in January 2009.

Interview Details – They mainly asked about my background and saw if I was a good personality fit with the team. I met with no less than 5 people and the interview lasted a few hours.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate unfortunately, but I think for this role there would not be much room. It's a starting point at the company and includes overtime hours, which most other roles here do not.

Manager Interview

Manager
Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with several people. Interviews were non conventional.

Interview Question – How do I work with upper management.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty easy

Marketing Interview

Marketing
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in June 2010.

Interview Details – The company seemed very chill. I noticed the dress code was casual and employees can bring their pets in which I thought was cool. The interviewing process itself was fairly standard. Meeting with two people, each interview took about 25-30 minutes each. I was asked what it is about marketing that interests me, what marketing projects I've worked on and what I know about the company. What happened after the interview is what was a huge let down for me. I was told they would contact me for a follow up group interview. I tried to get in touch with the company to follow up on my status and didn't hear back for weeks. And I heard I didn't get the job through word of mouth which isn't the most professional way to go about this.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult challenge you had to overcome.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in March 2010.

Interview Details – I only had a day of interviews. It was a rapid fire of four different employees from varied levels within Goodby. They expect you to have a lot of questions, so be prepared to ask. They'll judge you if you don't have a good set prepared. You should ask about everything from how people like their jobs to what the group / project dynamics are. They're busy people, so don't waste their time with generic questions either.

Interview Question – What was the most difficult situation you've faced while managing a project and how did you manage it?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in July 2010.

Interview Details – I worked with a recruiter to get the interview with Goodby, they get many. many resumes so I was really pleasantly surprised to get an interview at all. The position is a very robust one with a lot of opportunity's to grow within that position. I met with several employees and they do a comprehensive job in the interviews. Be prepared to talk to why and how you got into advertising and explain why you left your previous positions.
Also be prepared to describe your "ideal job" and yourself to the interviewers.

Interview Question – Describe yourself.. tell me "who you are"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Everything points to no work life balance and that's something I'm not willing to give up to work at a advertising agency. I do understand that's the trade off in advertising sometimes BUT there are good shops out there that do respect their employee's home life and foster a healthy balance. I am ok with working a ton of hours sometimes, I get that it's ebb and flow - just don't want it to be the norm all the time.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Goodby, Silverstein & Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Goodby, Silverstein & Partners employees and interview candidates.