Goodby, Silverstein & Partners

Updated Nov 9, 2014
Updated Nov 9, 2014

2.8

ACD Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners.

Came in to meet with a few people, just a couple hours. They force most people down in title, which was tough for everyone i'd talked to about this. Had an offer in a few days, accepted and I was done everything in 2 weeks from start to finish.

Interview Questions
    • No tough questions were asked. Which I liked. I thought they were respectful enough to trust based on your portfolio. The interview was just a personality test to make sure you aren't a jerk.   Answer Question
    Tried to negotiate about title, which they force most people down a title. No go. Money was no problem. Was offered the same/current salary (which was a step up from my offered title). Easy.

Senior Creative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in September 2013.

Contacted by phone and asked to come in for a day of interviews. A full day followed with six hour-long interviews (one over lunch) with various department heads, including one with Rich Silverstein. Afterwards, I had a short catchup with the hiring manager and left.

None of the interviews were standard and all felt like beer tests. No one asked anything taxing and they felt like friendly chats more than anything else.

Afterwards an offer came via email.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were conversational and nothing seemed designed to catch me out in any way.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was standard and after a few conversational emails we reached an agreement with an increased salary.

Art Director Interview

Speaking to interns, the interview went well. I got hired on the spot. Your book speaks volumes, so without good previous work, it's probably pretty impossible to get a chance here. The chances of getting hired full time during the internship are slim to none.

Junior Communications Strategist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in March 2014.

Met with one of the hr people to talk about the position and my background before I could move on to the next steps of meeting the team. It started out great but then turned into what felt like an interrogation/therapy session for everything that was wrong with me and my resume.... basically the most humiliating hour of my life.

Interview Questions
    • biggest challenge you've ever been faced with in life................   Answer Question

Assistant Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners.

This is a company I had been wanting to work for throughout my advertising career. I could tell you all of their award winning campaigns and think through most of the strategic insight they unearthed. Unfortunately, the interview process really made me think twice about this agency.

I was first connected to the New York office by Rich Silverstein himself (met him at my university where he gave me a name of his coworker and I later found the person on LinkedIn). I had a brief informational interview with another woman and she referred me to HR at the San Francisco office. I contacted HR there and received very flaky responses and cancellations on phone meetings that we were supposed to have. The conversation ended there.

Five months later I contacted the same HR rep in SF, knowing she might be more interested in talking to me after getting more experience during a job I took in the meantime. She was interested and we had an informational interview that went well. She was nice and seemed friendly and easy to talk to. The interview led to her contacting me about a month later with a job opening. I was flown out to SF to meet with two account teams. I had seven interviews over the course of the two days. Times were moved around and meetings were rearranged but all seven interviews went on. The people seemed nice, though I had my reservations about the vibe of the office and the city as a whole.

Before I flew back home I sent HR a thank you note and asked when I would hear back from them. A week went by with no response so I sent another follow-up email. Nothing, so I sent another follow-up. Crickets. Another week went by (a total of 4 weeks) and I finally heard that they decided to go with another candidate.

Now if I would have heard within the first two weeks some kind of update that they were still interviewing candidates, I would have been completely fine and even more willing to accept that I did not get the job. However, after being strung along for an entire month with no update, I really lost respect for their HR process. Not something I want to deal with again.

Interview Questions
    • After speaking about some work I had produced at my previous job, I was asked to evaluate my supervisor's decisions on the direction of the campaign.   View Answer

Junior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in October 2011.

I got hired as an intern so the creative recruiter called me after looking at my book and hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • This really isn't applicable for my interview. We just chatted about general career goals and what life would be like in San Francisco since I was moving from Atlanta.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners.

1 phone interview with HR, 5 interviews live in 1 day before getting a job offer.

Interview Questions
    Not a lot of wiggle room with salaries, as there are tiers.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in March 2010.

I networked in through a friend that works there. I've heard that they don't accept random applicants as they are mostly concerned about culture/fit (aka "the beer test") and a solid agency background (which is great). I interviewed with their recruiting manager first and she did a great job grilling me -- lots and lots of poignant questions like why I left certain jobs, technical questions about my capabilities/digital experience etc... a few weeks later I interviewed with account directors and a group account director... all in all, it was a good interview experience and the people are nice.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you leave this job?   Answer Question
    • They will ask if you're up to speed on the very latest in digital and mobile... etc.   Answer Question

Account Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in January 2009.

They mainly asked about my background and saw if I was a good personality fit with the team. I met with no less than 5 people and the interview lasted a few hours.

Interview Questions
    I didn't try to negotiate unfortunately, but I think for this role there would not be much room. It's a starting point at the company and includes overtime hours, which most other roles here do not.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners in October 2010.

Interviewed with several people. Interviews were non conventional.

Pretty easy