Goodwill

Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.4

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goodwill.

quick and efficient interviews. Proper questions asked. No personal questions asked. Very polite, sharing what the job consist of and expectations of the position. Great knowledge of company and all the benefits they offer. Shared history and planed goals for future.

Easy and comfortable.

Other Interview Reviews for Goodwill

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goodwill.

Done by store manager. She admitted she hates to do any HR. I only got the job because I pestered her for three weeks. After hired, I became the HR manager because I am able to actually interact with other humans.

Interview Questions
    • None. She read from a script and with a good imagination, I became a superstar.   Answer Question
    None. I needed a job. Things are tough here in Maine!

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodwill in February 2014.

Two telephone interviews. Then interview with retails ales department. Then interview with HR and Director of Operations. Common interview questions. Why Goodwill? Describe your typical workday.

Interview Questions
    • How did you help a co worker advance within the company   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goodwill in June 2013.

Phone interview was given shortly after initial resume submission. General questions on back ground. Brought in for in person interview in one of the stores to review processes and store layout. Took additional assessment test on site. Fairly straightforward interview. Nice recruiter and staff in the store. Lots of background provided on the company.

Interview Questions
    • Not really anything unexpected or difficult. Fairly standard questions throughout.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at Goodwill.

Turned in an application, Was called to come if for an interview with the store manager. The interview consisted of the manager telling me what the job duties were. She briefly reviewed my resume and asked me some very basic typical interview questions related to my job experience. The entire interview lasted about fifteen minutes. I was offered the job at the conclusion of the interview.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation. You either have to take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menomonee Falls, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goodwill in May 2012.

It was a 3 step hiring process- phone interview and in person interview with a recruiter and then a 1 on 1 interview with the regional manager. At the in person interview with the recruiter you will take some sort of personality/ethics test and are then asked 7-8 behavioral questions. The interview with the Regional Manager was also behavior questions. I was interviewing for an assistant manager position, but they pulled the Bait-n-Switch on me and said that they had no open assistant manager positions and asked if I would take a lower position as a Retail Coordinator. I was told they like to start applicants with "Big Box" retail experience in a lesser position, but I was guaranteed that I could move up very quickly which ended up being a total LIE! Everything that I was told I would be doing in the Retail Coordinator position was a complete lie. I didn't have any additional responsibilities and felt like I was just a regular employee who had to put away clothing and items with the added responsibility of doing returns and dealing with upset customers! Goodwill is not a good company! I don't recommend working for them at all.

Interview Questions
    • What are your weaknesses or where do you see yourself needing the most improvement?   Answer Question
    No negotiation! Was interviewed 3 times for an assistant manager position and was then offered a lower position of Retail Coordinator

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodwill in November 2011.

phone interview then 1on 1, waited 2 days they need more references then in 1 week got a e mail saying not interested

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Goodwill in May 2009.

One time orintation and application process.

No need to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goodwill in April 2009.

Pick a good example with a positive outcome where you can speak comfortably about a serious challenge and the logical steps you took to overcome it. Outline the situation, talk about the action you took, talk about what the results where and try to quantify if possible. For extra points use reflection to indicate what you learnt from this situation and how you would do things differently if faced with a similar problem.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult situation you have had to deal with either professionally or personally   View Answer
    • Tell me about yourself, starting from when you were a child through education and work to bring me up to the present day   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goodwill in December 2010.

original interview was with store manager and the manager from a second local store which went very well. Was called back for a second interview with the regional manager, who alluded to me having the job when she said she would be in contact in a few days to get new-hire info from me. Didn't hear anything, so called the 7th day after 2nd interview and was told they were still deciding. Called again the following week and was told they didn't know what they wanted to do. At three weeks after 2nd interview, received call from store manager saying they had decided to hire within.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Goodwill Industries besides the retail stores?   Answer Question