Goodwill

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goodwill in February 2014.

Interview Details – Two telephone interviews. Then interview with retails ales department. Then interview with HR and Director of Operations. Common interview questions. Why Goodwill? Describe your typical workday.

Interview Question – How did you help a co worker advance within the company   Answer Question

Rockford, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Goodwill in June 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview was given shortly after initial resume submission. General questions on back ground. Brought in for in person interview in one of the stores to review processes and store layout. Took additional assessment test on site. Fairly straightforward interview. Nice recruiter and staff in the store. Lots of background provided on the company.

Interview Question – Not really anything unexpected or difficult. Fairly standard questions throughout.   Answer Question

Antioch, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Goodwill in May 2009.

Interview Details – One time orintation and application process.

Negotiation Details – No need to negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and interviewed at Goodwill.

Interview Details – Turned in an application, Was called to come if for an interview with the store manager. The interview consisted of the manager telling me what the job duties were. She briefly reviewed my resume and asked me some very basic typical interview questions related to my job experience. The entire interview lasted about fifteen minutes. I was offered the job at the conclusion of the interview.

Interview Question – There were none.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. You either have to take it or leave it.

Menomonee Falls, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goodwill in May 2012.

Interview Details – It was a 3 step hiring process- phone interview and in person interview with a recruiter and then a 1 on 1 interview with the regional manager. At the in person interview with the recruiter you will take some sort of personality/ethics test and are then asked 7-8 behavioral questions. The interview with the Regional Manager was also behavior questions. I was interviewing for an assistant manager position, but they pulled the Bait-n-Switch on me and said that they had no open assistant manager positions and asked if I would take a lower position as a Retail Coordinator. I was told they like to start applicants with "Big Box" retail experience in a lesser position, but I was guaranteed that I could move up very quickly which ended up being a total LIE! Everything that I was told I would be doing in the Retail Coordinator position was a complete lie. I didn't have any additional responsibilities and felt like I was just a regular employee who had to put away clothing and items with the added responsibility of doing returns and dealing with upset customers! Goodwill is not a good company! I don't recommend working for them at all.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses or where do you see yourself needing the most improvement?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation! Was interviewed 3 times for an assistant manager position and was then offered a lower position of Retail Coordinator

Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goodwill in November 2011.

Interview Details – phone interview then 1on 1, waited 2 days they need more references then in 1 week got a e mail saying not interested

Davenport, IA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Goodwill in April 2009.

Interview Details – Pick a good example with a positive outcome where you can speak comfortably about a serious challenge and the logical steps you took to overcome it. Outline the situation, talk about the action you took, talk about what the results where and try to quantify if possible. For extra points use reflection to indicate what you learnt from this situation and how you would do things differently if faced with a similar problem.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult situation you have had to deal with either professionally or personally   View Answer
  • Tell me about yourself, starting from when you were a child through education and work to bring me up to the present day   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pick a good example with a positive outcome where you can speak comfortably about a serious challenge and the logical steps you took to overcome it. Outline the situation, talk about the action you took, talk about what the results where and try to quantify if possible. For extra points use reflection to indicate what you learnt from this situation and how you would do things differently if faced with a similar problem.

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goodwill in December 2010.

Interview Details – original interview was with store manager and the manager from a second local store which went very well. Was called back for a second interview with the regional manager, who alluded to me having the job when she said she would be in contact in a few days to get new-hire info from me. Didn't hear anything, so called the 7th day after 2nd interview and was told they were still deciding. Called again the following week and was told they didn't know what they wanted to do. At three weeks after 2nd interview, received call from store manager saying they had decided to hire within.

Interview Question – What do you know about Goodwill Industries besides the retail stores?   Answer Question

Worked for Goodwill? Contribute to the Community!