Goodwill Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.3

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at Goodwill.

The application process included an online submission, phone screening, and two additional follow up in-person meetings.A written offer was received and the negotiation process was handled over an additional week's time.

Interview Questions
    • What are your expectations from the company and career growth?   Answer Question
    Yes, I was able to negotiate based on prior experience.

Sales/Production Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goodwill in September 2014.

I arrived at the store about 15 minutes early. I walked into the store about 10 minutes before my interview time of 11am. I was greeted by an associate who asked if she could help me. I informed her that I was there for a job interview and she lead me to the back side of the store to a set of double doors. She asked me to wait outside the double doors while she went to see if the manager was ready to see me. Even though I was slightly early I did not have to wait to see the manager. I was a nervous wreck but within minutes of sitting down with the manager I felt very much at ease. We discussed my previous job experiences as well as a little bit of information about myself. The manager then proceeded to tell me a little bit about the company and what she was looking for in an employee. I must have made a good first impression because she offered me a job right on the spot!

Interview Questions
    • I had no difficult or unexpected questions. I stuttered a little bit when I was asked to talk a little bit about myself but I didn't feel silly or pressured in any way.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goodwill in September 2014.

I applied online and an interview was schedule a week later. They asked the basic questions (previous work etc.). The guy was nice, I was a minute or two late to the interview but overall it was good.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through other source – interviewed at Goodwill in September 2014.

I saw a job fair posting online on the website Indeed.com. I came to the job fair where there were other applicants for different positions signing in. After I signed in I was asked by one of the representatives to fill out an application.After I filled out the application I had a seat and waited to be called. Once called I was greeted by a store manager from a different goodwill store and had my first interview. She was very pleasant and knowledgeable about the company. After interviewing with her I was greeted by the district manager who was quite unorganized and unkempt. She interviewed with me and seemed impressed by my knowledge of retail and said she was very interested and closed the interview with you will be hearing from me in 3 days...two weeks past and she never called. I called her and she seemed very agitated that I made a follow up call, very unprofessional.

Retail Production Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Goodwill in August 2014.

First interview was with one of their recruiters at their corporate location. She used a prepared list of questions such as, "What experience have you had with P&L statements and with metrics", "Describe a time where you didn't meet a goal and what you did to overcome it". After that interview concluded, I was set up for a panel interview consisting of 3 people. Very basic questions in this interview and more looking at your relative work experience and personality. Took a walk through the store with them and then the interview concluded. Received a call after about 10 minutes to let me know an offer would be coming. Received an offer the following day, however the annual compensation package was not enough for me to leave my current employer.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was probably just describing a time you failed to meet a goal.   Answer Question

Annual compensation package was too small.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goodwill in August 2014.

I went through prescreening at one of their career centers. A few months later I got a call from the career center telling me that one of the stores was holding interviews for cashiers, so I went for it. The actual interview was quick and easy--no trick questions, nothing unexpected. The interviewer helped me on questions I got stuck on and had a relaxed and friendly demeanor. I got a call with a job offer that same day.

Interview Questions
    • What's a situation where you've demonstrated integrity?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.

Online Media Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goodwill.

The interview felt more like a conversation with an old friend rather than an interview. Everyone I met there had a positive attitude and seemed very genuine. While I was asked about my work background, what I liked about it and did not, the interview revolved more around what my personality was like to see if I was a good fit with the company.

Interview Questions

It is really a shame that Goodwill does not receive more funding. The pay was barely above minimum wage.

Receptionist Interview

need a local background check, and then taking a drug test. You only need to have one interview..After getting hired you may not get the hours that they tell you that you were going to get. If they tell you that you are going to get 40 hours a week you may get lucky and average 36 hours a week. They do not like to pay over time.

E-commerce Clerk Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Goodwill.

They will hire anyone just to fill a position. As they say, there is no one that can't be replaced. Turn over is very high. The Management staff that does the interviewing acts as though you are bothering them.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Just basically if you are willing to take the job, it is offered to you.   Answer Question
    no negotiation...take it or leave it.

Case Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goodwill.

It takes months to get hired. Be patient. They are non profit obviously so for some reason it takes a while. They were very nice, but it seemed to take forever to get a call back.

Interview Questions
    Negotiate your pay upfront. Raises aren't that great.