Goodwill Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.3

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goodwill in August 2014.

I went through prescreening at one of their career centers. A few months later I got a call from the career center telling me that one of the stores was holding interviews for cashiers, so I went for it. The actual interview was quick and easy--no trick questions, nothing unexpected. The interviewer helped me on questions I got stuck on and had a relaxed and friendly demeanor. I got a call with a job offer that same day.

Interview Questions
    • What's a situation where you've demonstrated integrity?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.

Retail Production Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Goodwill in August 2014.

First interview was with one of their recruiters at their corporate location. She used a prepared list of questions such as, "What experience have you had with P&L statements and with metrics", "Describe a time where you didn't meet a goal and what you did to overcome it". After that interview concluded, I was set up for a panel interview consisting of 3 people. Very basic questions in this interview and more looking at your relative work experience and personality. Took a walk through the store with them and then the interview concluded. Received a call after about 10 minutes to let me know an offer would be coming. Received an offer the following day, however the annual compensation package was not enough for me to leave my current employer.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was probably just describing a time you failed to meet a goal.   Answer Question

Annual compensation package was too small.

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  East Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Brunswick, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Goodwill in February 2012.

Met with the store manager and discussed my skills. It was all very casual and basic. However, that was a few years ago. I'm told that the hiring and interview process is much more strenuous now, and much more involved.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult about the interview, and there were no unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    The starting pay was less than what I was making in my last retail job, but I accepted, principally because the location was convenient, and the schedule flexibility was very good.

Sales Clerk Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Troy, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, OH

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Goodwill in June 2014.

app for another location called saying they had an opening else where. Went in for interview few days later. Normal question asked, said they had like 8 other people so no clue why they even bother to call me when i app for some where else. Been two month and no call back. See they are hiring for the same job NOT going to reapply.

Interview Questions
    • Just wanted to know if i could drive and work the hours.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Grand Junction, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Junction, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Goodwill in September 2012.

I turned in my application online with a resume and cover letter attached. A week later, I received a call to schedule an interview. I was on time, and the assistant manager told me to wait 15 minutes while she helped a customer and to meanwhile examine the store's layout. The interview took about an hour. The manager and assistant manager interviewed me together. They asked questions about my academic history, goals in life, and work experience. They had read my cover letter and asked me to expand on my experiences listed there. The second part of the interview consisted of personality-based questions. Both managers were friendly and made jokes to ease the environment of the office. The third part of the interview consisted of me asking the company questions and selling myself as a worker. I was hired three days later and began orientation and paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me a funny story about when you taught in South Korea." This was a complete curveball in the interview and was intended to see how quick on my feet and innovative I was. It also added some pressure. I told a brief story and related it back to work.   Answer Question
    Goodwill offers minimum wage to all non-corporate workers.

Computer Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied online - interviewed at Goodwill in July 2014.

The phone call and interview process was very professional and friendly. I never felt uncomfortable, awkward, or nervous. The interviewer was very friendly and courteous. I believe Goodwill would be a great company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • How did I handle a situation when you were behind schedule or deadline?   Answer Question
    • How do you approach people that are difficult to work with?   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goodwill in August 2013.

I was interviewed by the District manger and Regional manager. Interviews were very nice, very straight to the point questions and they give you time to think about your question. No pressure at all what so ever and they encourage you to ask them questions as well.

Interview Questions
    • None, they ask you the same things every other company does.   Answer Question
    Their was none

Donation Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Goodwill in June 2014.

Applied online, I got a call back within a week. Interview was at the headquarters in Denver. I waited about 20 minutes until I actually got interviewed. The room I was interviewed in wasn't a very appropriate setting, the lady was wearing dirty jeans and a old t-shirt, and the room was filled with junk and there was trash all over place. Wearing slacks and a button up dress shirt was obviously too much for this interview. The questions were straightforward, and about a month later, I still have not received a call back letting me know if I got the job or not. No worries, I've gotten plenty of better job offers since then.

Receptionist Interview

need a local background check, and then taking a drug test. You only need to have one interview..After getting hired you may not get the hours that they tell you that you were going to get. If they tell you that you are going to get 40 hours a week you may get lucky and average 36 hours a week. They do not like to pay over time.

Online Media Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Goodwill.

The interview felt more like a conversation with an old friend rather than an interview. Everyone I met there had a positive attitude and seemed very genuine. While I was asked about my work background, what I liked about it and did not, the interview revolved more around what my personality was like to see if I was a good fit with the company.

Interview Questions

It is really a shame that Goodwill does not receive more funding. The pay was barely above minimum wage.

Worked for Goodwill? Contribute to the Community!