Goodwill

Updated Jan 22, 2015

2.3

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodwill.

Interviewed and heard back in two days via email they had hired internally. Seemed like it would be great company to work for. Interview was one on one in a hotel lobby. There was about 20 questions.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to review a staff member and had to give them criticism how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Database Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goodwill.

I applied online. I was asked for a face to face interview two months later. I thought it was a very long process. It was a panel interview with a development director, and two other people. It ended up being only an 30 minute interview, and felt very rushed. They didn't seem to explain the mission of Goodwill, or much of what I would I would be doing. I got the sense that no one liked me in the room.

Cashier/Processor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goodwill.

I applied at a job fair. They liked it that my availability was open for the most part. I got a call a couple of days later saying that I got an interview. Also, they told me to make sure to bring my social security card and bc. I guess they already knew that they were going to hire me. I went in, told the cashier I had an interview. She told me to wait by their furniture area. After a couple of minutes, the manager came out and took me to the back, asked me basic interview questions. Told me I was hired. Did paper work and I started the next week.

Student Assistant Interview

The hiring process was conducted in a professional manner. I was given two interviews. The first one was with the manager of the program and the second one was with the Vice President of the Vocational program. I was provided a tour of the program and given extensive trainings which came with a certificate after completion. I really enjoyed working around the people and the being able to wear jeans on Fridays. Overall, this was a good entry level job.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me one of your most challenging moments and tell me how you overcame that.   Answer Question

Workforce Development Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodwill.

Two phone interviews and then had to travel to headquarters about 70 miles away for interview in person. Questions were typical. Met in two separate offices for in person interview. Met with future supervisor and then with HR supervisor. It was redundant and nerve racking.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiations. They told me what the job was and salary. You either take it or leave it.

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodwill.

I was called for an interview at the store. It was pretty basic. She asked about my previous experience and why I wanted to work for Goodwill. Then a weird timed math test where all the answers were 12. I was given a short tour of the backroom area and told that HR would be checking my references and that I would get a call from them. That call came almost a week later. I got a voicemail from a lady at the corporate office. It took several days for her to return my call since I called after office hours and left a message. When she called me I was told I was invited to an 8 hour long orientation class in another week. Luckily we were paid for this 8 hours, which I wasn't told until later. It took a little over two weeks to actually begin working in the store.

Interview Questions
    • I was basically hired on the spot by the assistant store manager, then had to be turned over to HR dept. for background checks. The only tricky thing was the math test listed above.   Answer Question
    They tell you that everyone starts at minimum wage but that you are guaranteed a full 40 hours a week as though that makes up for it.

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online – interviewed at Goodwill in January 2015.

I applied on a Saturday and got a call on the following Monday to come in for an interview. I went in the next day for the interview. It was about 10 minutes long. The questions weren't very hard. There were a lot of "tell me about a time that..." questions. I thought it went very well but they said they had a few more interviews to do and they would let me know in a couple days if I got the job. The following business day I got a call saying that I was being offered the job and to come in the following day to fill out paperwork and go for a drug test. The whole process from when I applied to when I was hired was only about a week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you....just a lot of questions like this.   Answer Question
    N/A

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goodwill.

Applied online by making a profile & submitting resume. Got a call for an interview a little over a month later for the next Monday.

Arrived about 15 minutes early & was able to see the Store Manager & Hiring Manager soon as I got there. Very easy going interview. Usual questions like "What experience do you have?" "What is good customer service to you?" "Why should we choose you?"

Interviews lasted about 5 minutes then I was asked to sit in the break room for a few minutes. When I was called back into the office they had my offer of contingency ready for me to sign. A little later in the week I was called to go to the clinic to take my drug test. Once the results came back about a week later I set up to attend the next orientation class the next week.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. You start at minimum wage which was 8.00 at the time & 9.00 now.

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Coast, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Coast, FL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Goodwill in December 2014.

I filled out an application online, was called some time later from the regional office and asked if I wanted a job and when I answered I need a job, I was told to start in the store on a certain day. I guess they just look at my past experience on my application and thought I would fit.

Interview Questions
    • Would I agree to a low base hourly amount.   View Answer
    Take what they were offering, and since I was in a financial bind I had to accept.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buckeye, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buckeye, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goodwill.

First had to apply online and pick a day for a pre-screen interview. After a week, I followed up by asking the store for another interview. Luckily, they were interviewing and I had called and asked once more. They then scheduled me to come in a couple days later and that week I was hired and given information about training.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time you demonstrated above and beyond excellence?   Answer Question