Goodwill Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.3

Keyholder Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Goodwill in June 2015.

Interview

I went for my first interview, took approx 30 mins, store manager informed me i would be having a 2nd interview with the district mgr, the district manager cancelled the next two dates she set and called me the third time to schedul the appt.. she kept the 3rd one..i was there 3 min and was told she had 4 other interviews to do..and If i was chosen i would be notified by a HR man

Interview Questions

• What does goodwill do and who do they help   1 Answer
    • how would i handle coworker conflict   2 Answers

Donantion Center Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goodwill (Dayton, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

Long and drawn out. I was interviewed in early June and did not know that right after the interview I was chosen, and the supervisor started the paperwork. They just decided not to tell me, until the paperwork had gone through the company.

Interview Questions

• No specific questions, there was a checklist that they used, but it was more of a previous life type questions.   Answer Question

Information Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goodwill (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The job is basically a glorified receptionist at a work source center. I sat with the manager in a conference room and she asked me typical job interview questions. She was polite but made it clear what she was looking for in a candidate. She even did part of the interview in Spanish because being bilingual was one of the requirements.

It was a relatively smooth and pleasant interview and I left pretty confident.

Interview Questions

• Are you flexible with work hours?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle a difficult client?   1 Answer

Retail Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodwill (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online through their website for Assistant Manager. Received a call the next day. Recruiter explained that I would be a better fit for a lower position of Retail Supervisor and asked if I was still interested. We set up a phone interview for the following Monday. Phone interview was very laid back and included a few questions about my career goals, experience, and my education. When I was called, the interviewer started the process by asking if I had any questions about the position or the company (very important to ask them questions to show your interest and research). Then I was asked a few simple behavioral questions such as "Name a time you had to motivate a team?" and "Name a time you were under great pressure and how did you handle the situation?" At the conclusion of the phone interview I was asked to complete an online assessment, which I think was bad as it was timed and I didn't fully have the time to complete it. Received a call from a local store manager 3 days later and scheduled an in-person interview for the following Monday. The interview was with store manager and regional manager and was very difficult in terms of the questions asked. There were a lot of behavioral questions (probably about 15-20) with many follow up questions depending on how I answered. The interviewers seemed very interested in the interview and seemed to follow up a lot on the questions and somewhat help me answer the questions better. Was offered a job at the conclusion of the interview. Everyone that I talked to for this interview was very helpful and wanted me to succeed, which is something you don't see a lot.

Interview Questions

• Why goodwill?
      Tell me about yourself.
      What do you know about goodwill?
      What is your greatest achievement?
      Name a time you were under great pressure and how did you deal with it.
      Name a time you had to consult others on the outcome.
      Name a time you knew the outcome but consulted with others about it.
      Name a time you gave up a commitment to satisfy another commitment.
      Name a time you motivated employees and what was the result.
      How do you prioritize tasks?
      What do you think is your strength?
      What do you think you need to improve on?

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Set starting salary.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goodwill.

Interview

Initially applied online through their website. In a couple of weeks was invited for a panel interview. Two people present and about 15 - 20 open questions. Apparently there is some sort of scoring system the two interviewers use. Some questions did not seem to directly pertain to the position.

Interview Questions

• What would I do if an employee were hurt while at work?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goodwill.

Interview

I was called by an HR person out of town and set up for the interview at my location. I showed up about 10 minutes early, though I waited a good 15-20 minutes for my interviewer because apparently she had something more important to do than deal with a scheduled interview. I got a quick tour of the place and shown the various job duties in both the front and back of the store. I was asked which two roles I would be most interested in, and since I applied for the Production Associate position, I obviously went with two of the backroom duties I was shown. She didn't seem to like that I didn't pick something where I would be interacting with customers and was later even asked if I had any customer experience, which I don't.

I was then asked a series of fairly basic interview questions. I felt I came up with some decent answers for most of them, but others not so much as was evident by the interviewer's silent stares at some of my responses. At the conclusion of the interview I was told a decision would be made sometime next week and that there were a couple of more interviews she had to go through.

It's been almost two months and I never heard back or received one of those typical rejection e-mails. Looking at the kind of people that get hired, I may not have been a good fit as there's a good chance a veteran, a high school student, or someone with a troubled background got hired as that's the sort of thing Goodwill does. It's fairly noble, but it didn't seem like the ideal place to work anyway. The store was dirty and disorganized. Some of the employees up front were not very courteous to me customers.

Interview Questions

• Expect to be asked what you know about Goodwill.   Answer Question
    • What is teamwork?   1 Answer
    • If you donated an item, how would you expect it to be treated?   1 Answer

Training Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodwill (Tacoma, WA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. Then I interviewed with an HR manager, Regional Manager and then a Director at the Corporate Office. They asked about my background and then asked behavioral interview type questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. They made it clear during the interview what the pay would be.

Employment Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodwill.

Interview

It was very simple. I got a call the week I had sent it in. I went in for an interview the next day and was at work the start of the next week.

Graphic Design Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Astoria, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Goodwill (Astoria, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Took me in barely let me talk, asked me to bring in 5 pieces of work and didn't even ask for them, the main interview was a design test that didn't allow any internet and was only 30 minutes.

Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goodwill (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online in March and I got a call in May. The interview was at 2PM. I first had to do a scenario test for 15 minutes. Then, I went to interview which lasted 2hrs. I wasn't out the building until 4:20PM. Two days later I was asked to send 5 references where there they would complete a survey online about me.

Interview Questions

• It was a lot of scenario question. What would do in such & such of a situation? How would you handle this type of individual?   Answer Question