Goodwill Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2014
Updated Sep 22, 2014

2.3

Sales/Production Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Goodwill in September 2014.

I arrived at the store about 15 minutes early. I walked into the store about 10 minutes before my interview time of 11am. I was greeted by an associate who asked if she could help me. I informed her that I was there for a job interview and she lead me to the back side of the store to a set of double doors. She asked me to wait outside the double doors while she went to see if the manager was ready to see me. Even though I was slightly early I did not have to wait to see the manager. I was a nervous wreck but within minutes of sitting down with the manager I felt very much at ease. We discussed my previous job experiences as well as a little bit of information about myself. The manager then proceeded to tell me a little bit about the company and what she was looking for in an employee. I must have made a good first impression because she offered me a job right on the spot!

Interview Questions
    • I had no difficult or unexpected questions. I stuttered a little bit when I was asked to talk a little bit about myself but I didn't feel silly or pressured in any way.   Answer Question

Retail Production Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Goodwill in August 2014.

First interview was with one of their recruiters at their corporate location. She used a prepared list of questions such as, "What experience have you had with P&L statements and with metrics", "Describe a time where you didn't meet a goal and what you did to overcome it". After that interview concluded, I was set up for a panel interview consisting of 3 people. Very basic questions in this interview and more looking at your relative work experience and personality. Took a walk through the store with them and then the interview concluded. Received a call after about 10 minutes to let me know an offer would be coming. Received an offer the following day, however the annual compensation package was not enough for me to leave my current employer.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was probably just describing a time you failed to meet a goal.   Answer Question

Annual compensation package was too small.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goodwill in August 2014.

I went through prescreening at one of their career centers. A few months later I got a call from the career center telling me that one of the stores was holding interviews for cashiers, so I went for it. The actual interview was quick and easy--no trick questions, nothing unexpected. The interviewer helped me on questions I got stuck on and had a relaxed and friendly demeanor. I got a call with a job offer that same day.

Interview Questions
    • What's a situation where you've demonstrated integrity?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.

Receptionist Interview

need a local background check, and then taking a drug test. You only need to have one interview..After getting hired you may not get the hours that they tell you that you were going to get. If they tell you that you are going to get 40 hours a week you may get lucky and average 36 hours a week. They do not like to pay over time.

Online Media Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Goodwill.

The interview felt more like a conversation with an old friend rather than an interview. Everyone I met there had a positive attitude and seemed very genuine. While I was asked about my work background, what I liked about it and did not, the interview revolved more around what my personality was like to see if I was a good fit with the company.

Interview Questions

It is really a shame that Goodwill does not receive more funding. The pay was barely above minimum wage.

E-commerce Clerk Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Goodwill.

They will hire anyone just to fill a position. As they say, there is no one that can't be replaced. Turn over is very high. The Management staff that does the interviewing acts as though you are bothering them.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Just basically if you are willing to take the job, it is offered to you.   Answer Question
    no negotiation...take it or leave it.

Case Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Goodwill.

It takes months to get hired. Be patient. They are non profit obviously so for some reason it takes a while. They were very nice, but it seemed to take forever to get a call back.

Interview Questions
    Negotiate your pay upfront. Raises aren't that great.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Goodwill.

Applied online. Got a call back like a week later. Went in for the interview and manager asked me questions about past experiences such as " Tell me about a time when you had to work in a team and what was the outcome" He asked me multiple questions like this. We went over my job experience and he asked the usual interview questions and told me he would call me if I got the job. I didnt hear from them for about 1 week and thought that I didnt get the job. Eventually manager called and said that they would like to hire me because there 1st choice for the job didnt go through. I accepted the job and he told me that I would need to wait for my background check to clear and that it would take about a week. I was nervous about my background check because I had gotten into trouble with the law when I was a minor. So the manager called and told me that my background check cleared and they need me to fill out all the paperwork. Going to start working this week.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Computer Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied online - interviewed at Goodwill in July 2014.

The phone call and interview process was very professional and friendly. I never felt uncomfortable, awkward, or nervous. The interviewer was very friendly and courteous. I believe Goodwill would be a great company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • How did I handle a situation when you were behind schedule or deadline?   Answer Question
    • How do you approach people that are difficult to work with?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pacific Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pacific Beach, CA

interviewed at Goodwill in July 2014.

I applied online and was emailed and called back the next day. When I went in for the interview, there were two people there, but only one did the talking. She asked me questions about my ideal job, past experience, and whether I had any management experience. I am definitely "overqualified" by my education for the position, which became more apparent in the interview. I feel like I didn't fit the mold of what they were expecting.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, but she asked me if I had management experience, so I'm not sure why that was asked, since I was just applying to be a cashier.   View Answer

Worked for Goodwill? Contribute to the Community!