Goodwill Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.3

A/P Specialist Interview

Interview

Was contacted by the hiring manager 2 weeks after applying for the job. Next I invited to complete a form. This form was a document they used before selecting the candidate they want to bring in for the interview. Take your time and answer questions properly. Next was the interview, then lunch with the team. Sounds lengthy but it took mayb 6 weeks at most. Corporate is extremely fast pace.....

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Do your research...because their expanding their budget is pretty tight. If you ask for more make sure you are worth it!

Production Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goodwill.

Interview

Very strange. Management clearly did not have recruiting experience. Asked the basic interview questions and walked me around the warehouse. I talked with another asst manager. At the end of the interview I had the job without even knowing it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goodwill.

Interview

I had to submit a resume, and answer some questions online. I then got a call asking me to come in for an interview. At the store before the interview I had to fill out a sheet that had my availability to work on it. Then they took me to a back room where the interviewer asked questions about when and for how long I would be able to work, why I wanted the job, etc.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot of questions about why I put down the availability that I did, which was sometimes kind of hard to answer.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goodwill.

Interview

Done by store manager. She admitted she hates to do any HR. I only got the job because I pestered her for three weeks. After hired, I became the HR manager because I am able to actually interact with other humans.

Interview Questions

• None. She read from a script and with a good imagination, I became a superstar.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. I needed a job. Things are tough here in Maine!

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goodwill (Roswell, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

Went there and they called me into the office to start the process. The manager was really nice, and he talked about what Goodwill does. It was a lot of information!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buckhead, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Goodwill (Buckhead, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied to goodwill online and went into one of the goodwills I applied for the very next day.
    I was already dressed professionally and asked to speak to a manager about my application process. Turns out, they decided to give me an interview.

So, I waited beside the manager's office until one of the hiring managers came to interview and walked to another office. It's just me and the lady that's interviewing me. She started asking me simple interview questiions such as "Why do you want to work for Goodwill?" and "How would your previous employers describe your work ethic?" After a few questions, there was a drug test. It's the swap test, disgusting taste by the way. Once you pass the drug test, you have to wait 3 days for the background check to come back; however, depending on the store, they can set up the employment for you to start working before your background check comes back.
    I sat in the office and completed the rest of the paperwork and tax paperwork then I was all set!

Everyone who works there are very nice and have very positive attitudes about moving up in the company. If you want a retail store to grow with, this is a great company to start :)

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic questions:
      Why do you want to work for Goodwill?
      What qualities would your previous employer say about you?
      What is your weakness?
      Tell me more about yourself. (Doesn't matter if its personal or professional as long as it relates to the job)

Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goodwill (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

The application process included an online submission, phone screening, and two additional follow up in-person meetings.A written offer was received and the negotiation process was handled over an additional week's time.

Interview Questions

• What are your expectations from the company and career growth?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate based on prior experience.

Processor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Goodwill in October 2014.

Interview

They seemed very friendly, wanted to know if you were lying on the application, if it has been a long time if you worked so they could continue receiving money from the government. Would work with you if you had a disability

Interview Questions

• Can you stand long hours on your feet   1 Answer

Negotiation

It would be a huge mistake to take the offer of employment.

PT Retail Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mechanicsville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodwill (Mechanicsville, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position as a part-time Cashier online. They called me back around a week after I had applied for a short phone interview with the hiring manager that lasted 5 minutes. I came in for an interview the next day with the GM, the store manager, and the assistant store manager. They looked over my resume very thoroughly. They asked what my duties were at my previous jobs, and they asked about my availability. At the end o the interview, the store manager asked if I had any questions. The interview lasted about 30 minutes at the least. After the interview, I was required to provide a sample for drug testing. I had passed, but did not get a call back for almost a week and a half, only to receive a call from the hiring manager to see if I were still interested. It wasn't until later that I had I found out that a candidate that had been selected before me suddenly quit after only training for 4 days.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you over the other candidates?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derry, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodwill (Derry, NH) in October 2014.

Interview

I found out about the job online (Indeed) and applied through their website. I received a call about a week later for an interview. I had felt that the interview went well. Found it odd that I was not asked about my work experience, it was only random "tell me a time when..." questions. The interview was conducted by a manager, but not the store manager. The Store Manager would be making the hiring decision, but was on vacation. I was told I should receive a call from them, regardless if I got the job or not, in a week to a week and a half later.

At the two week mark I called the store, inquiring about the status and was told by a manager that they would tell the SM that I called and "if she [the store manager] is interested she'll call". I discovered later that I was sent an automated e-mail dated an hour before I called them that the position had been filled.

I found them to be unprofessional. They could have found a minute to call or let me know when I called that I didn't get the position. I feel like I wasted two weeks waiting on their answer and that if the person hiring had conducted the interview that I would have had a better chance.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a time when you dealt with a person who personally hated you."
      Most questions were slight variations of this. Basically, how do you deal with coworkers who are difficult or don't pull their weight.

Answer Question