Goodyear

Very Difficult Interview

Development Engineer Interview

Development Engineer
Hebron, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Goodyear in March 2014.

Interview Details – This was a great site with info for my interview, so I should share.
Applied online (1.5hrs) via a link from college.
3.5hrs later I got an email to take a proctored online test (1.5hrs).
Took test on Friday morning, got a call first thing Monday, scheduled a 3person phone interview for that afternoon.
Phone interview: LOTS of behavioral questions, plus the 2minute sell-yourself speech. (Both of which I failed as bad as the test I took) BE PREPARED, know your resume and be ready to explain it to them in detail without being asked any side questions!
Amazingly, for failling everything so far I was invited to s 5hr "meet&greet" the following monday.
Meet & Greet:
there we 6 applicants, but only 4 showed up. DO NOT Wear a suit jacket, it would be overkill. I was the only person with a tie besides a GY engineer. Be ready for a full on psych observation from 16-20 people. 1/4 HR, 1/4 GY Senior Engineers, 1/4 Team you will be working with, 1/4 unknown.
2 45minute interviews, both just me with an HR and with GY top Engineer, so a 2on1.
The rest of the time was non-stop questions. BE SO READY FOR MANY BEHAVIORAL QUESTIONS!!!!!! Bring a pen & pad.
I also failed this horribly. Never been asked so many behavioral questions in my life combined!

Great people! Would have been a great job in Hebron Ohio at the new R&D plant.
The pay was never given.

Interview Question – To many to think! Be ready for non-stop "tell us about a time when...." If you stall they note, it's hard.   View Answer

Professional - Corp Interview

Professional - Corp
Akron, OH

I applied online and interviewed at Goodyear.

Interview Details – Applied online (make sure to copy your answers to a word document - the form is wonky and my answers kept disappearing). After about two weeks, I was scheduled through recruiting company for a 30 min. phone interview. On the phone screening, the team mentioned wanting to move quickly (decision within two weeks). I followed up after two weeks since I didn't hear anything and was told there were no decisions made with the position yet. That was nearly two months ago and I haven't heard anything since (not even a note that they were pursuing other candidates). Pretty poor lack of communication.

Interview Question – Nothing too unexpected. General skill set and experience questions on the initial screening call.   Answer Question

Software Development Analyst Interview

Software Development Analyst
Fort Smith, AR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Goodyear in February 2014.

Interview Details – Had a 20 minute phone interview with company recruiter. They called me back about a week later to set up an in person interview. The in person interview went as follows:
1) 30 minutes talking with department director and IT manager
2) 45 minutes talking with IT manager and and a senior developer - The questions were a combination of technical and behavioral
3) 1 hour being grilled by three more developers with all sorts of technical questions
4) 1.5 hours to complete a 6 or 7 page written "test" that the developers had put together

Interview Question – It was just the shear number of questions from many different people. This was a 3 hour long interview with questions from start to finish. It was tiring and seemed like way overkill.   Answer Question

Retail Development Specialist Interview

Retail Development Specialist

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goodyear.

Interview Details – Recruited on campus and then asked to fly to Akron, OH (HQ) for another round of interviews. 4 rounds over 4 hour span. Basic behavioral/situational questions with upper management. They are trying to gauge your ability to think quickly about situations and looking specifically for you to explain the "Situation/Action/Result"

Interview Question – Not really anything specific.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation for me. My first offer that blew the others out of the water coming out of school.

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied online and interviewed at Goodyear.

Interview Details – I applied online and did not hear back for a month. I then got a notification that I was no longer in the running for the position. I then received a call from the recruiter telling me that was an error. I then had an online behavioral test followed by a hour long behavioral phone interview. I then met with the hiring manager. A few days later I met with another associate. After all of this I was given an interview at headquarters and met with various people regarding the position. I was then given an offer days later. Process took close to 4 months.

Interview Question – Have you ever dealt with someone you did not get along with? What happened?   Answer Question

General Service Technician Interview

General Service Technician

Interviewed at Goodyear

Interview Details – Interview went really well but later found out that want was promised in the interview was misleading just to get you in the door.

Interview Question – None but they should ask you are you ready to work here 6 days a week and have no life outside of here. Oh and we are open 7 days a week and don't answer phone on your days off cause they will call you in   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Don't do it

Development Engineer Interview

Development Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Goodyear in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was contact through a third party hiring firm based on my Monster.com Resume. After a couple weeks and a Webex Interview, I was given an onsite interview in Akron. The company flew me out for a full day interview which included 2 one on ones, some team building exercises. Also included was a plant walkthrough to see the process of tires actually being created. Definitely my favorite interview that I've had thus far.

Interview Question – What are the three most important things when designing a low resistance tire.   View Answer

New Ventures Advisor Interview

New Ventures Advisor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Goodyear in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a Senior Recruiter, at The RightThing (an ADP company) for a position with Goodyear Tire and Rubber company. Since the opportunity seemed interesting, I agreed to explore it further and sent him my resume. The recruiter even asked me to fill out the online application and this is where the unprofessional experience began.

The way the online application system was set up caused me to attempt to complete the application at least 3 times. Apparently Goodyear or The RightThing do not have the internal staff to test that their system works.

When I pointed out the glitch, to the recruiter in our phone conversation, his response to me was - "how convenient". This should have been a flag to me to stop the process at this point.

However, this recruiter is persistent and calls me a couple of times, without warning, and asks that I try to fill the extremely long application again and we do this 2 or 3 times before they figure out that their system has a problem. Again this should have prompted me to stop the process immediately.

After the phone screen, I was informed by the recruiter that he will be forwarding my resume to the hiring manager and that he will let me know the next step.

Anyway- After I have jumped through the hoops, to apply for an opportunity that seemed interesting, i get an automated email saying that they are pursuing other candidates. I am ok with not being the right candidate for the job but what I am not OK with is the manner in which the whole process was conducted.

In summary: The recruiter (and by relation The RightThing and Goodyear) did not leave a positive impression in my mind about how they conduct their hiring process. I felt like I was used to fill a certain quota of applicants for a position to help justify the work done by the recruiter. This to me is a learning experience that might be valuable to others applying for opportunities or might be contacted for opportunities to ensure that your time is not wasted and to appropriately pick on the signals that serve as warnings before proceeding.

Interview Question – The questions asked by the recruiter were standard and the length of the phone screen should have been a warning. The entire process was very unprofessional.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Quality Engineering Co-op Interview

Quality Engineering Co-op

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Goodyear.

Interview Details – It took almost 2 months to set up first interview. The first interview itself was a video conference interview. It was a panel of two, both from Quality Control department. They were friendly and listened to all the answers patiently. The interview covered most of the behavioral questions such as my plan for next five years, am I comfortable working in a team or not, what is the most difficult situation I have faced, what is the most tricky decision I have taken etc. They did not go much in the technical stuff. The interview lasted for over 45 minutes. They forgot to ask my availability in the interview so I received a mail from the HR department for the same. I provided my availability and did not receive any reply from them.

Interview Question – There were none. All the questions were simple and of the kind that one would expect in the first interview.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Goodyear.

Interview Details – Talked to recruiters at a campus career fair, got an interview the next day. Interviewed with a process engineer and another long-time engineer. Both were very nice and personable, the interview didn't feel intimidating. They started by asking about my resume and experience and then moved to a more behavioral interview.

Interview Question – Pretty standard behavioral questions: Tell us about a time when you solved a problem in a unique way, etc.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had another offer, wasn't very attracted to Akron