Goodyear

3.1

Lube Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goodyear in October 2013.

I responded to an ad on a classifieds website and gave them a call. They told me to come in and fill out an application. Drove about 20 miles to get there and once I arrived they handed me an application. Before then pen even touched the application I was then asked if I had my own tools and that I must also be certified. Their ad said nothing about needing your own tools and the ad stated that they would train me to be certified as a state inspector. I told them I had neither and the application was snatched from my hands.

New Ventures Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Goodyear in October 2013.

I was contacted by a Senior Recruiter, at The RightThing (an ADP company) for a position with Goodyear Tire and Rubber company. Since the opportunity seemed interesting, I agreed to explore it further and sent him my resume. The recruiter even asked me to fill out the online application and this is where the unprofessional experience began.

The way the online application system was set up caused me to attempt to complete the application at least 3 times. Apparently Goodyear or The RightThing do not have the internal staff to test that their system works.

When I pointed out the glitch, to the recruiter in our phone conversation, his response to me was - "how convenient". This should have been a flag to me to stop the process at this point.

However, this recruiter is persistent and calls me a couple of times, without warning, and asks that I try to fill the extremely long application again and we do this 2 or 3 times before they figure out that their system has a problem. Again this should have prompted me to stop the process immediately.

After the phone screen, I was informed by the recruiter that he will be forwarding my resume to the hiring manager and that he will let me know the next step.

Anyway- After I have jumped through the hoops, to apply for an opportunity that seemed interesting, i get an automated email saying that they are pursuing other candidates. I am ok with not being the right candidate for the job but what I am not OK with is the manner in which the whole process was conducted.

In summary: The recruiter (and by relation The RightThing and Goodyear) did not leave a positive impression in my mind about how they conduct their hiring process. I felt like I was used to fill a certain quota of applicants for a position to help justify the work done by the recruiter. This to me is a learning experience that might be valuable to others applying for opportunities or might be contacted for opportunities to ensure that your time is not wasted and to appropriately pick on the signals that serve as warnings before proceeding.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked by the recruiter were standard and the length of the phone screen should have been a warning. The entire process was very unprofessional.   Answer Question

Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Goodyear in September 2013.

I was contact through a third party hiring firm based on my Monster.com Resume. After a couple weeks and a Webex Interview, I was given an onsite interview in Akron. The company flew me out for a full day interview which included 2 one on ones, some team building exercises. Also included was a plant walkthrough to see the process of tires actually being created. Definitely my favorite interview that I've had thus far.

Interview Questions
    • What are the three most important things when designing a low resistance tire.   View Answer

Tire/Research Development Interview

It is a Webex video interview. You will be interviewed by the Chief Engineer and an Associate Engineer. You will be asked the standard interview questions about your background, your strengths and weaknesses and how your could contribute to the company. Also you will be asked if you've ever disliked an employer.

Interview Questions
    • Name a moment of accomplishment in you academics or work?   Answer Question

Forklift Truck Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goodyear in July 2013.

I applied for a production position over the internet. After a couple of weeks I was contacted by the HR department to inform me about their interest and to make an appointment for an interview. During the interview there were 3 panelists who asked questions and the most important thing to them and the senior mgmt is safety. They asked typical interview questions and my experience working with machinery. After the interview was over they called back in less than 24 hours with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time at previous job when you had to put safety before productivity.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Great! Very knowledgable Human Resource Personnel

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about balancing your job with home life?   Answer Question
    Yes was able to negotiate. Like buying a car!

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goodyear in June 2013.

The interview process is a very extensive one, as one would expect from a company as large as Goodyear. I had four rather extensive interviews with both attorneys for whom the job was assigned. Two interviews were conducted by both attorneys at the same time and each attorney interviewed me again separately. Once those were completed, I then interviewed with the head of the department. It is a very thorough and professional interviewing process.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question for me was how my former employer would describe my best trait and my worst. Its tough to answer without sounding either overly confident or not worthy of the job.   Answer Question

General Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodyear in February 2013.

Fill out an online application, they will call you in for an in person interview, answer some questions, they will do a background and drug screen, then you do some training

Interview Questions
    • What are your skills, as this can vary depending on background in the automotive fields   View Answer
    since this was a corporate store, negotiations were minimal
    i had minimum real world experience because i needed some training through school and work

Business Process Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goodyear.

It was simple and straight..very soon i got my offer letter..

Innovation Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Goodyear in December 2012.

I applied online, and the first hurdle is passing through their recruitment agency, The RightThing. In my case, the outside firm declined me but an actual Goodyear HR recruiter contacted me on LInkedIn and got me back into the process. I do not know how to "pass" the screen test from their outside agency, but from reading here and elsewhere it seems to be almost luck. They are not very good at their job nor do they understand the positions.

There was a phone interview followed by an online video interview with the hiring manager. Very good interview and meaningful questions related to the job. Nothing too surprising.

I was invited to a final onsite interview. This was a 3 - 4 hour process and included a lunch interview. My first interviewer was an HR representative. This person was very nice, but perpetuated the stereotype of a worthless HR recruiter. Stock meaningless questions that seemed to come from a negative point of view, e.g. tell me about a weakness (then another one), a time you failed, a struggle, etc. They wanted all of my salary history, but in turn would not volunteer any compensation information. In fact, all of the interviewers followed some sort of corporate guide in asking questions. I then spoke with two potential colleagues. Nice people, corporate questions. This was followed by a one-on-one with another individual and finally a one-on-one with the hiring manager. This included an interview over lunch. His questions deviated from the stock corporate framework and were more insightful and related to the position. My final interview was with a senior VP executive. Nice guy, good questions and nothing too odd.

I was told I would hear back in a couple of weeks, at the end of which I reached out to corporate and their agency. Did not hear back for several more weeks and eventually found out they passed on me. More on that later.

The Good:
    Everybody was very nice and personable. They seemed to be genuinely good people.

The Bad:
    Terrible HR competency, both internal to Goodyear and external agency. A search for cliche and pointless interview questions would give a good idea of their HR interview approach. Take HR out of the equation, and it would have been better. Nice people, just terrible systems.

The Ugly:
    Unprofessional incompetence. While I was very disappointed in not receiving an offer, I'm a grown adult and am OK with a rejection. What upset me was the lack of communication. I interviewed for a mid-senior level position. I was expecting a phone call, which I did not get. At the minimum I would have expected an email. I did not even get that. I received zero communication from them regarding my status. No phone call, no personalized email, no generic thanks-but-no-thanks email. I found out by logging into my online candidate account online.

An absolutely terrible experience. I will no longer ever purchase a product from Goodyear based on their blatant unprofessional lack of communicating their decision. Sort of ironic in that part of the position dealt with the customer experience.