Google Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Sent in resume various times but hadn't heard back from a recruiter till I was referred. I sent in resume and cover letter and within 10 days had an initial phone call.

No crazy out of the blue questions asked- more just seeing if I could answer questions articulately.

Next step they flew me to the office to interview- 3 interviews in 2 hours. Most questions were expected and relevant to the job - but if you're applying to the ads team make sure you do obviously some background research on the ads ecosystem.

Lastly, I heard back from them about 2 weeks later that I received the role, and then had 3 start dates to choose from.

Interview Questions

• I was shown a chart and asked to pull out trends in the data   Answer Question

Negotiation

As this was entry level negotiation wasn't a factor

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Account Manager Interview

Interview

Had to spend hours preparing for interview and then never heard back from recruiter. I finally found out I was rejected when a friend looked my name up in HR

Interview Questions

• How would you answer a difficult client?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

Interview

contacted through email for a phone interview. did not make it past that

Account Manager Interview

Interview

I submitted my resume online and was lucky enough to be selected from roughly 7K resume submissions/day at that time. The process was long and I didn't know how many rounds there were but the key is being patient and giving it your best every time.

Interview Questions

• Name a difficult client situation and how did you resolve it?   2 Answers

Negotiation

there wasn't much of a negotiation. take it or leave it basically.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Interview

I applied online and then had 2 interviews, both o them were by phone. First was more like a background check, and the other one was already more concrete and like it is always described to be: with unexpected questions, precise tasks. I was also asked several questions which involve calculations, and as I do not have any background in math, I couldn't really answer them correctly. However, I tried to show the way I was thinking, hoping that it sounded logical enough.

Interview Questions

• How many emails are sent out in my country daily?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

The interview process was actually not as stressful as I had been lead to believe. It started with an HR screening interview (by phone - 30 min), followed with a phone interview with the team lead for 30 min. Next, I went into the office and met with 4 people for 45 minute interviews. The interview questions were a little stale - a little too direct, not conversational enough. Ultimately, I did not have enough experience for the role, but I would not be averse to pursuing another opportunity there in the future.

Interview Questions

• What types of Google products would you utilize to increase sales of X company by 20%   2 Answers
    • If a car company was introducing a new hybrid vehicle, what Google products would you use to bring the new car to market?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

I was called by a recruiter after submitting a resume online a few weeks before. I was surprised to get a call as I was not having high hopes of being contacted by Google. I missed the initial call due to a conference call, I had to call the recruiter a few times to get a response. Finally scheduled a brief phone interview with her, then moved on to interview with an account manager, I was then asked to fly up for an in-person interview just a couple hours after.

The travel arrangement was easy and I felt well taken care of. I met the recruiter in person and got to tour the building briefly before heading to a conference room. I was to interview with 4 different people and 30 mins each. My first interviewer had to be in New York, so we did a video conference which made me nervous at first, but he was very nice and gave me a good vibe that it was going well. My next 2 interviewers were also nice, made me feel very welcome and comfortable. The last interviewer was not very friendly, he just gave the impression that he was very book smart, which was very intimidating. He basically just put me on a spot with all of his technical questions, and I think I did pretty bad.

About a week after, I got a rejection email saying I didn't get the job. I called the recruiter right away and wanted to schedule a follow-up just to see how I did and how I could improve. I waited almost a month after multiple follow-up emails and voicemails. But my overall experience was still good, the recruiter is nice but I guess she was too busy. The people that I met on site were all friendly, and it was such a great experience. I still very much want to work for Google and hope for another chance soon.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

A Google recruiter contacted me via e-mail and I responded back and we schedule an interview. I had an interview with the recruiter which covered my resume and details about my work history. The recruiter was very positive and provided me several links to learn more about the position I was being considered for as well as a video on YouTube of what it is like to work at Google. After signing a NDA on the details of the specific position I had a second phone interview with the Director of the group which went well and focused on a specific skills set from a previous company that he was interested in. I was then flown out for 3 back to back 30 minute interviews. I met with a marketing manager, account manager, and operational manager. I had a really positive interview experience but I did not get the job. I was surprised as one of the interviewers advised they were certain they would see me back on campus in a week or two. The interview questions that were difficult were not ones you could prepare for as they seem to be generated by the important questions managers and leadership are asking themselves about the business. After the interview I had a slight feeling of having been used as a consultant. I thought this was actually a very good way of seeing how people might offer something new from their own experience with these issues as well as an opportunity to see how a candidate thinks on his feet. If you are an account manager be prepared to talk about account management in an intelligent way. If you were a sales manager prepare to talk about how you assign accounts and how you might improve the tools used for account management.

Interview Questions

• What is the best way to distribute accounts to your account managers?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

After a recruiter received my information, I received a call from the company. This consisted of a background check to match my skills with open positions in the company, as well as a few questions about my level of experience managing teams and facing difficult situations. Next, I had a phone interview with a hiring manager who asked me questions for 30 minutes regarding my resume, what-if situations, and familiarity with AdWords.

Following this, I flew to Mountain View and had 3 interviews, each 30 minutes, with different members of the OSO team. Questions were again related to past experiences, the type of people I would like to work with, moments where I failed or succeeded, history with customer support, and also a few "30 second elevator sales pitches" on AdWords. Ultimately, I didn't have enough experience for the job, but the company was very pleasant and I would still consider working for them.

Interview Questions

• What would you change or improve about Google AdWords?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

I applied online for an account manager for ad words. The application involved a personality test, to which I answered honestly. The recruiter called me the next day and set up a phone conversation with HR. My first contact with HR was great. The recuiter there was informative and gave some great tips for further interviews (to research new products, be prepared with suggestions to improve a product)

Next, HR called and asked nothing except to verify information on my resume. They then set up a time for me to have a phone conversation with the manager of the unit.

I spoke with the manager and it was a pleasant conversation. His questions were the basic interview questions and the questions that HR had prepared me for. At the end of the conversation he told me he was going to move me on to on site interviews. HR called maybe an hour later and set up a time for me to head to the campus.

Onsite I interviewed with three people. Two potential co-workers and a manager. Everything went well and they asked the usual interview questions. They also asked some questions based on the Google / China news and asked my opinion on it. So I suggest reading up on the news about Google.

The interviews were really fast and I didn't get much time to ask questions.

I didn't get an offer but I think that its because I didn't have much experience in sales. I also could have prepared more and shortened my answers (they were a bit long). All in all I loved their HR recruiter and would apply again based on my experience.