Google

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Average Difficulty
40 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Account Strategist

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google in July 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter for position. Had a first-round phone interview and it went well. Was informed I was through to second round and would be interviewed by a team member in the department where the vacancy was. it was going to be a sales pitch to a bank, followed by an interview. interviewer was extremely tough and interupted the sales pitch numerous times and was being an extremely difficult "customer".

Interview Question – How will online advertsing change in the next 10 years   Answer Question

Account Strategist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process in Google is long. Like seriously long, depends on the job. You have to go through at least 5 - 6 interviews.

Interview Question – What is your proudest moment?   Answer Question

Account Strategist

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in July 2013.

Interview Details – One phone interview plus had 3 rounds of in person interviews

Interview Question – How many baloons will fit this room   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Strategist

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The interview process was quite long, I would say about 2 months since initial contact. There are a lot of stages: 1 screen phone call with a recruiter, 1-2 calls with a manager/somebody in a similar position that you're applying for, 3-5 onsite interviews. After these rounds, the application then moves to the hiring committee. I had to prepare additional info for that and send it to my recruiter. I would say this was the most difficult stage because I wasn't exactly sure what was expected of me and how much my input is going to be waged against the interview feedback.

My screen was good. My second interview I thought didn't go very well. I kept having problems with my signal. The behavioral questions were all very specific and I couldn't think of a particular situation that could address the specific concern. For example, the manager asked me to give him three examples of when I dealt with a difficult customer but my reaction has actually revolutionized the way my company dealt with customers since then. Honestly, I didn't have any such experience, so I kind of tried to talk around it but it was obvious he wasn't having it. Overall, I thought he was tough. He was definitely testing me if I had done my homework and prepared for the behavioral questions.

To my surprise I passed to the onsite interviews. Those went amazing. I think they couldn't really have gone better. The best thing is that I felt like I had the opportunity to really express who I was and what I would bring to the company. We talked about the future of Google as a company, about my particular interests to be involved with this future, about the current products, etc. I was actually asked a lot of "big" questions in regards to my overall goals and how they coalesce with the company. I had a really great time.

After the interviews, I had a debriefing with somebody in the same role. That was really nice as I was able to ask a lot of the more personal questions about the office life, the city, and the overall experience. He didn't hesitate to tell me both the good and the bad. Overall, I felt very good about the office. The onsite interviews actually reinforced my desire to work in this role for Google.

My application passed onto the hiring committee very quickly. The only negative thing is that after this stage I wasn't exactly sure how likely it was that I got the job or not. My recruiter basically didn't answer any direct questions. Since I had to handle school as well as other job prospects, it was very difficult to not know where I really was with Google. I also didn't appreciate that I wasn't given a clear answer about when I would hear the final decision.

Interview Question – Many business case questions in my case. The analytical interview was definitely the most challenging but also the most fun. It was all about analyzing a given problem, coming up with an adequate solution quickly, and explaining why this solution works. I was asked to include specific percentages in my evaluation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I felt like the negotiations weren't as smooth as they could have been. The offer was firm and didn't mention any details which I discussed with my recruiter. They basically promised me something (regarding relocation) that was not part of the offer.

Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter after sending resume to a current Google employee. We set up two interviews back to back. The first was a lot of resume stuff, as well as a few business questions, and the second was only 4 business scenario type questions. Overall the process went really well, the interviewers were great. Unfortunately didnt make it to the next round.

Interview Question – What 3 things would you change at your University/work place if you were CEO today?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online at Google.com/jobs after some Google reps came to my school for an information session. I was also referred for the position, which really helps get your resume to the top. I was contacted 2 weeks later for in-person interviews at my school's career center. There were 2 interviews -- one about my background and leadership experiences in college, the other was very behavioral based.

After those interviews, I was contacted via email about 2 weeks later, inviting me out for interviews at the corporate headquarters in Mountain View, CA. There were also two back-to-back interviews - but they were both behavioral and brain teaser focused. I stayed in contact with the recruiter and the Googler who referred me and 4 weeks later, I received a phone call offering me the job!

Interview Question – Most difficult - how many marbles fit into a jar and how would you project the amount of tennis balls to be sold in Germany this year (they've done away with questions like this, though).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negotiate my salary and relocation assistance.

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

The process took 4 months - interviewed at Google in November 2009.

Interview Details – Job descriptions are on the jobs site are not very clear and can be a bit vague, although I believe this is done on purpose and it would appear Google look at your skill set and then apply you too the role that suits you most, which may not be necessarily the depend of previous experience. Personally I think that this is a great method.

I was surprised at some of the initial communications as it is not as polished as one might think, however it was still very exciting. Onsite interviews were certainly different and also gave you a sense of what it would be like to work there.

For interviews, although this is pretty obvious show enthusiasm, illustrate what makes you different from your other college/industry peers, give lots of examples or your hard work, proof of targets and explain how you work with others.

Many people that work at Google are very competitive and that can be both good and bad. Work culture is very hard working, company loyalty and I am afraid to say but corporate.

Offices are clearly great, food is great and benefits are good. A great place to learn.

Interview Question – How many golf balls can you fit in a bus?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't any.

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2012.

Interview Details – Was invited to an on-Campus interview at a Career fair at my University

1. Interview (On-Campus) 30mins. with recruiter (only personal fit questions)
Extremely positive experience, probably the most relaxed interview I have ever been in (coming from Management Consulting I've been through quite a few).
Recruiter explicitly made an effort to "just have a little chat about life at Google" and the specific role as Account Strategist.(Though I didn't buy too much into the "just relax" atmosphere and tried to stay focused on the inside)

Q1: Why Google?
Q2: What qualities would you bring to the team?
Q3: What are your mid/long-term professional expectations?
Q5: Could you imagine working & living in Dublin?
Q6: How do you deal with a high-pressure working environment? Additionally a couple of specific questions about my CV, what I did in different jobs/internships etc...

Again: very open conversation, she also told me a lot about life at Google in general and seemed very enthusiastic and endowed with a positive-attitude which actually motivated me even more, as I initially was a bit skeptical about the position. As our conversation was very pleasant, she invited me to an on-site interview right on the spot for the upcoming week.

Called me next day, confirmed invitation to on-site interview and forwarded me all details I needed to know via mail.

7 working days after initial contact, arrived in Dublin, 3 hours time between arrival and beginning of interviews. Was greeted by the recruiter who had invited me who briefly showed me around the building and once again made a big effort to make the experience as pleasant as possible.

Interview with two people: AdWords Manager & one recent hire: (40mins)
(The manager asked all the questions, while the staff member only listened and took notes)

Q1: Walk me through your CV, highlighting the most impt. and relevant points!
Q2: What brings you here today, why do you want this job?
Q3: What kind of expectations do you have of this job and where do you see yourself in 10 years (I hate this question, how should I know?)
Q4: Scenario: online shoe retailer, repair & service wants to increase e-commerce and repair services, what advice would you provide?
Q5: How would you convince a small business owner to invest into online marketing? Why should he/she use AdWords? What other solutions from Google's product range could be offered? (Mock sales pitch)
Q6: Say you have a customer portfolio of 3000 individual customers, how would you prioritize your tasks?
Q7: We have many excellent people applying, what makes you stand out? Why should we want you on the team?

2. Interview with one person: Sales Manager (35 mins)

Q1: Do you want something to drink?
Q2: Do you want to ask questions first, or do you want to go through a couple of my questions and then ask me questions?
Q3: First Scenario: You just bought 10000 Tablet computers in Taiwan and shipped them to (insert any European country). You want to get rid of them asap via online sales using AdWords - determine CPC! (Walk me through the process on the white board, providing numerical examples)
Q4: A customer complains about diminishing ROI in online sales, determine possible causes and provide solutions respectively.
Q5: Provide 5 examples of how you would decrease CPC as a business owner.
Q6: Within one week online sales have suddenly decreased more than 50%, why? What are possible causes?
Q7: Can you imagine working on problems similar to the ones above on a daily basis? Would you enjoy this?

3. Interview with two people: Team-Lead & another recent hire (45 mins)

Again many standard personal fit questions, very detailed questions regarding CV, past time challenges, leadership and conflict situations at work.

4. Next working day, call from recruiter updating me that I had passed. Informed me about the next steps (Hiring Committee) and provided - to my surprise - already all details about the employment package. At this point I found this a little early, as it made the impression that I had already received an offer - even though my data still had to go through the hiring & exec. committees’ review process. Additionally asked me about any other offers I may currently have and what they were.

Sent in all my additional info requested by the HC (basically they ask you to spell out major achievements, providing references and transcripts)
Received call + offer after 7 additional working days.

Time from first interview to job-offer: just 14 working days!

Overall a very fair interview process and positive experience. Extremely good communications with the recruiter in charge ( kept me in the loop all the time) and overall a very straight forward and efficient process.

(And in case you wonder, I directly wrote down all questions as soon as I had finished the interviews)

Interview Question – You just bought 10000 Tablet computers in Taiwan and shipped them to (insert any European country). You want to get rid of them asap via online sales using AdWords - determine CPC! (Walk me through the process on the white board, providing numerical examples)   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in December 2013.

Interview Details – Process:

- 1 Phone call from recruiter
- 1 Call with Hiring Manager
- 3 Onsite Interviews (Over Hangouts)

My 3 most helpful points:

1. Expect challenging questions about sales, Google AdWords and online marketing strategies right from the first call.

2. These interviews aren't really that difficult, if you prepare well in advance. Preparation means learning everything (at least at a high level) about Google products (AdWords especially), the tech industry, sales and marketing. Learn some marketing strategic frameworks or sales pitching frameworks that will help you breakdown a question and answer it effectively and confidently. Immerse yourself in this industry and this role by reading articles about it and talking to people in this field. Use Google AdWords learning resources and read/learn from everyone's interview experiences for this role on Glass Door - this really helped me and made me think about other related questions that could have been asked. You could prepare well enough by spending a few hours everyday on this for about 4 weeks (it will vary from person to person but I'm just trying to convey that you can become a beast in this in a relatively short period of time)

3. Sure, you can whip out great answers when you're in the interview, but some practice answering these questions out loud can go a long way. Visualize yourself in the interview, being composed, paying attention the to the detail in every question asked and answering every question successfully.

Finally, nothing beats passion and culture fit. You need to be in love with some aspect of this role. It's an important part of getting the job. You also need to see your values, thinking and business attitude aligning with that of Google and your specific team within Google.

Interview Question – "You're a Product Manager for Android, sales are declining in your region, what will you do to improve sales in that region - tell me the steps and explain each?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – There was a lot of contact via email prior to the interviews. I had a total of two phone interviews - one with the recruiter and another one with a person in the role for which I applied. I was then invited on site for 3 more interviews. The interviews went great and the atmosphere was really pleasant. I liked the offices and everyone I met there was fun to talk to. They all seemed like a big family.

Interview Question – There was no unexpected question as such. Most questions revolved around my prior experience and how that would relate to the position I am applying for.   Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!