Google

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Average Difficulty
40 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Account Strategist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I had a lot of calls from the hiring manager based out of UK. They asked a lot of information about my grades in university / college. They also wanted to know if I blog, so its best to have a blog done before you apply.
As a lot of emphasis is put on grades, its best to position your strong academic skills before them.

Interview Question – No tough question, never went for a F2F interview.   Answer Question

Account Strategist

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – A few phone interviews and then an onsite interview where you speak to 3 people including the manager who will hire and lead you when the time comes. Hoping of course that it does.
Youre expected to know some stuff about the products, company and values that are represented and questions about it are asked throughout

Interview Question – How would you explain the concept of a server to a four year old?   Answer Question

Account Strategist

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The first interview is HR. Just some ordinary questions. I am still waiting for the onsite interview. Will post here once I get response for this position. I guess there will be a line manger interview me and then same position colleagues. But not sure the community review.

Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter after sending resume to a current Google employee. We set up two interviews back to back. The first was a lot of resume stuff, as well as a few business questions, and the second was only 4 business scenario type questions. Overall the process went really well, the interviewers were great. Unfortunately didnt make it to the next round.

Interview Question – What 3 things would you change at your University/work place if you were CEO today?   Answer Question

Taipei (Taiwan)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I applied through employee referral. A recruiter contacted me after one week when my friend submitted my CV. We had a phone call, but it only lasted 7 min. That surprised a me a lot, because she had claimed that it would be a 30 min conversation. I thought I failed, but the day after the phone call, she told me I was invited to an onsite interview with one senior manager in Beijing and one team lead in Taipei.

I am going to the onsite interview in Taipei tomorrow.

Wrocław (Poland)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview was very friendly. They were mainly focusing on different scenarios that I faced on my previous customer service experience.

Interview Question – Give me one situation with a creative approach.   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – There was a lot of contact via email prior to the interviews. I had a total of two phone interviews - one with the recruiter and another one with a person in the role for which I applied. I was then invited on site for 3 more interviews. The interviews went great and the atmosphere was really pleasant. I liked the offices and everyone I met there was fun to talk to. They all seemed like a big family.

Interview Question – There was no unexpected question as such. Most questions revolved around my prior experience and how that would relate to the position I am applying for.   Answer Question

Account Strategist

Interview Details – I submitted my resume through an employee referral. About a week later I got an email from a recruiter to set up a phone interview.

There was a lot of background noise on the recruiter's end so it was difficult to hear the questions at times. I'm a very nervous interviewer and I wanted this job a lot so I was speaking very fast and my answers were quite scattered. Bad jokes were made, social awkwardness was displayed, an unfavorable image was conveyed, etc. The recruiter was very nice and kept saying "great answer" in a faux-enthusiastic tone, which in retrospect was probably a bad sign.

Questions asked included:
-Why Google?/tell me about yourself/why are you interested in this role?
-What are the main benefits of AdWords?
-How would you deal with an angry customer?

My interview didn't go very well so instead of scheduling a follow-up interview the recruiter said notes from the interview would be shown to a hiring manager who would decide my employment fate. From what I've heard if the interview goes well and there is a good rapport between you and the interviewer they will schedule a follow-up right away.

Interview Question – What is your favorite Google product? How would you make it better?   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in December 2013.

Interview Details – Process:

- 1 Phone call from recruiter
- 1 Call with Hiring Manager
- 3 Onsite Interviews (Over Hangouts)

My 3 most helpful points:

1. Expect challenging questions about sales, Google AdWords and online marketing strategies right from the first call.

2. These interviews aren't really that difficult, if you prepare well in advance. Preparation means learning everything (at least at a high level) about Google products (AdWords especially), the tech industry, sales and marketing. Learn some marketing strategic frameworks or sales pitching frameworks that will help you breakdown a question and answer it effectively and confidently. Immerse yourself in this industry and this role by reading articles about it and talking to people in this field. Use Google AdWords learning resources and read/learn from everyone's interview experiences for this role on Glass Door - this really helped me and made me think about other related questions that could have been asked. You could prepare well enough by spending a few hours everyday on this for about 4 weeks (it will vary from person to person but I'm just trying to convey that you can become a beast in this in a relatively short period of time)

3. Sure, you can whip out great answers when you're in the interview, but some practice answering these questions out loud can go a long way. Visualize yourself in the interview, being composed, paying attention the to the detail in every question asked and answering every question successfully.

Finally, nothing beats passion and culture fit. You need to be in love with some aspect of this role. It's an important part of getting the job. You also need to see your values, thinking and business attitude aligning with that of Google and your specific team within Google.

Interview Question – "You're a Product Manager for Android, sales are declining in your region, what will you do to improve sales in that region - tell me the steps and explain each?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Account Strategist

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The interview process was quite long, I would say about 2 months since initial contact. There are a lot of stages: 1 screen phone call with a recruiter, 1-2 calls with a manager/somebody in a similar position that you're applying for, 3-5 onsite interviews. After these rounds, the application then moves to the hiring committee. I had to prepare additional info for that and send it to my recruiter. I would say this was the most difficult stage because I wasn't exactly sure what was expected of me and how much my input is going to be waged against the interview feedback.

My screen was good. My second interview I thought didn't go very well. I kept having problems with my signal. The behavioral questions were all very specific and I couldn't think of a particular situation that could address the specific concern. For example, the manager asked me to give him three examples of when I dealt with a difficult customer but my reaction has actually revolutionized the way my company dealt with customers since then. Honestly, I didn't have any such experience, so I kind of tried to talk around it but it was obvious he wasn't having it. Overall, I thought he was tough. He was definitely testing me if I had done my homework and prepared for the behavioral questions.

To my surprise I passed to the onsite interviews. Those went amazing. I think they couldn't really have gone better. The best thing is that I felt like I had the opportunity to really express who I was and what I would bring to the company. We talked about the future of Google as a company, about my particular interests to be involved with this future, about the current products, etc. I was actually asked a lot of "big" questions in regards to my overall goals and how they coalesce with the company. I had a really great time.

After the interviews, I had a debriefing with somebody in the same role. That was really nice as I was able to ask a lot of the more personal questions about the office life, the city, and the overall experience. He didn't hesitate to tell me both the good and the bad. Overall, I felt very good about the office. The onsite interviews actually reinforced my desire to work in this role for Google.

My application passed onto the hiring committee very quickly. The only negative thing is that after this stage I wasn't exactly sure how likely it was that I got the job or not. My recruiter basically didn't answer any direct questions. Since I had to handle school as well as other job prospects, it was very difficult to not know where I really was with Google. I also didn't appreciate that I wasn't given a clear answer about when I would hear the final decision.

Interview Question – Many business case questions in my case. The analytical interview was definitely the most challenging but also the most fun. It was all about analyzing a given problem, coming up with an adequate solution quickly, and explaining why this solution works. I was asked to include specific percentages in my evaluation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I felt like the negotiations weren't as smooth as they could have been. The offer was firm and didn't mention any details which I discussed with my recruiter. They basically promised me something (regarding relocation) that was not part of the offer.

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!