Google

Updated Oct 28, 2014

3.5

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2012.

Was invited to an on-Campus interview at a Career fair at my University

1. Interview (On-Campus) 30mins. with recruiter (only personal fit questions)
Extremely positive experience, probably the most relaxed interview I have ever been in (coming from Management Consulting I've been through quite a few).
Recruiter explicitly made an effort to "just have a little chat about life at Google" and the specific role as Account Strategist.(Though I didn't buy too much into the "just relax" atmosphere and tried to stay focused on the inside)

Q1: Why Google?
Q2: What qualities would you bring to the team?
Q3: What are your mid/long-term professional expectations?
Q5: Could you imagine working & living in Dublin?
Q6: How do you deal with a high-pressure working environment? Additionally a couple of specific questions about my CV, what I did in different jobs/internships etc...

Again: very open conversation, she also told me a lot about life at Google in general and seemed very enthusiastic and endowed with a positive-attitude which actually motivated me even more, as I initially was a bit skeptical about the position. As our conversation was very pleasant, she invited me to an on-site interview right on the spot for the upcoming week.

Called me next day, confirmed invitation to on-site interview and forwarded me all details I needed to know via mail.

7 working days after initial contact, arrived in Dublin, 3 hours time between arrival and beginning of interviews. Was greeted by the recruiter who had invited me who briefly showed me around the building and once again made a big effort to make the experience as pleasant as possible.

Interview with two people: AdWords Manager & one recent hire: (40mins)
(The manager asked all the questions, while the staff member only listened and took notes)

Q1: Walk me through your CV, highlighting the most impt. and relevant points!
Q2: What brings you here today, why do you want this job?
Q3: What kind of expectations do you have of this job and where do you see yourself in 10 years (I hate this question, how should I know?)
Q4: Scenario: online shoe retailer, repair & service wants to increase e-commerce and repair services, what advice would you provide?
Q5: How would you convince a small business owner to invest into online marketing? Why should he/she use AdWords? What other solutions from Google's product range could be offered? (Mock sales pitch)
Q6: Say you have a customer portfolio of 3000 individual customers, how would you prioritize your tasks?
Q7: We have many excellent people applying, what makes you stand out? Why should we want you on the team?

2. Interview with one person: Sales Manager (35 mins)

Q1: Do you want something to drink?
Q2: Do you want to ask questions first, or do you want to go through a couple of my questions and then ask me questions?
Q3: First Scenario: You just bought 10000 Tablet computers in Taiwan and shipped them to (insert any European country). You want to get rid of them asap via online sales using AdWords - determine CPC! (Walk me through the process on the white board, providing numerical examples)
Q4: A customer complains about diminishing ROI in online sales, determine possible causes and provide solutions respectively.
Q5: Provide 5 examples of how you would decrease CPC as a business owner.
Q6: Within one week online sales have suddenly decreased more than 50%, why? What are possible causes?
Q7: Can you imagine working on problems similar to the ones above on a daily basis? Would you enjoy this?

3. Interview with two people: Team-Lead & another recent hire (45 mins)

Again many standard personal fit questions, very detailed questions regarding CV, past time challenges, leadership and conflict situations at work.

4. Next working day, call from recruiter updating me that I had passed. Informed me about the next steps (Hiring Committee) and provided - to my surprise - already all details about the employment package. At this point I found this a little early, as it made the impression that I had already received an offer - even though my data still had to go through the hiring & exec. committees’ review process. Additionally asked me about any other offers I may currently have and what they were.

Sent in all my additional info requested by the HC (basically they ask you to spell out major achievements, providing references and transcripts)
Received call + offer after 7 additional working days.

Time from first interview to job-offer: just 14 working days!

Overall a very fair interview process and positive experience. Extremely good communications with the recruiter in charge ( kept me in the loop all the time) and overall a very straight forward and efficient process.

(And in case you wonder, I directly wrote down all questions as soon as I had finished the interviews)

Interview Questions
  • You just bought 10000 Tablet computers in Taiwan and shipped them to (insert any European country). You want to get rid of them asap via online sales using AdWords - determine CPC! (Walk me through the process on the white board, providing numerical examples)   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Account Strategist Interview

Lots of questions on the online industry and how I would sell internet

Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrocław (Poland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrocław (Poland)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in November 2012.

The recruiting process was performed very professional hence communication style was really enjoyable. Appointments were agreed on flexibly and interviews were conducted on time with high level of professionalism. Feedback was provided quickly after results were achieved etc.
    First steps included a personal interview with an recruiter on campus. Several Position were discussed to identify the potential best fit between job requirements and my profile, contact details were provided for and I was forwarded to the recruiter in charge for the position available in Wroclaw.
    Further communication with the recruiter in Wroclaw was really smooth and professional, the complex recruiting process was held highly transparent.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a professional situation in which you have introduced a creative approach or idea successfully!   View Answer

Account Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I was contacted by a Google recruiter via email and a phone interview was scheduled for later that week. The scheduled time came and went... no call. I emailed the recruiter later that day and they said that they had some job training for the next few days, but that they would contact me in about three days. Three days came and went... no contact. After this second failure to contact me when the recruiter said they would, I questioned whether or not this was an actual Google recruiter. Frustrated, I left the prospect of a google job behind for a couple weeks. I then reached out to the Google recruiter again via email. We scheduled a phone interview for the next day. No joke, the interview time came and went, once again, without a call. The phone interview was cancelled and rescheduled two more times over the next couple days. Finally, the phone interview happened. It lasted about 15 min. Basic questions about my resume and behavioral things. The call concluded with the recruiter telling me that they thought I would be a good candidate, but they already filled the spots for this wave of hiring for this position. "Maybe if you had succeeded in contacting me a month ago when you said you would, I would have had one of those spots", I thought to myself. They then said they will contact me in a few weeks when it is time to hire the next group of people. Given my experience with this recruiter I highly doubt this will happen, but miracles do occur.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all about my resume, so nothing was too difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I was recommended by someone who is working at Google. I am still in the application process.

Account Strategist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google.

I was told that there was going to be 5 or 6 interviews two of them via phone and the others on site. I couldn't pass the second interview. Both phone interviews were not on time, I don't think it was done on purpose though. Interviewers were really great, they make you feel at ease apart from the awkward silences while they take notes. During those silences you may feel your previous answer was not satisfying or you are being judged.

Interview Questions
    • Expected salary (on the first interview). I wasn't really expecting this question that soon.   Answer Question

Account Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

Two months after a friend who works for Google submitted my application, I was contacted by a recruiter to schedule a phone interviewer. Contrary to what most of these reviews say, my phone interview was a combined phone screen and interview. I was asked a lot of situational questions relevant to the job description as well as general questions regarding my resume and transcript. My advice would be to openly explain any less than excellent grades on your transcript (for Google that means anything below an A-..). The recruiter seemed impressed with our conversation and said he was leaning toward inviting me to an onsite interview and would let me know for sure once he reviewed my transcript. Though he said he would get back to me in 3 days, it took 2 weeks, and I was not offered an onsite interview. I can only imagine the B's I received in some of my business courses are to blame.

Account Strategist Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in January 2012.

I applied for the job online, never thinking I would get called for an interview. little I knew, I got a surprise phone interview from they're recruiter. Yes, a surprise interview, no scheduling no nothing.
    Applying months before I could barely remember the job description and the interview went generally bad...

At Google they really expect you to familiarize yourself with the company and products.

Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Istanbul (Turkey)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Istanbul (Turkey)

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in August 2011.

First, I got a phone interview with a recruiter from Paris office. She gave me an immediate feedback about the interview and told me that I was a good fit. They have send me an e-mail in the following week stating that Industry Leader wants to meet me on Google Talk since I was away from the country at that time.It went OK and I passed to the next stage. The third interview took place in Istanbul office, I got 2 one to one interviews.The first one was with a Account Manager and went pretty well.He asked 2 brainteasers followed by 3 online marketing optimization questions. The interview with Industry Leader did not go well.She was bitchy during the interview and asked random questions about my qualifications, what she wants to see on the candidate ...etc. She was not really interested in a candidate who is eager to learn, a good fit to Google culture and has an interesting CV.
    Take the offer if you are just into sales. The industry leader want to see a candidate with good selling skills and that's all!!!

Interview Questions
    • If you look at a clock and the time is 3:15, what is the angle between the hour and the minute hands?   View Answers (4)

Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Google in July 2011.

I had 6 rounds, first was HR round on phone. Then 3 interviews in 2 rounds. SInce I was in different city at the time of interviews, the interviews happened on vc. the interviewers are typically the people that you would be working with or people in their profile. Interviewers are encouraging positive and open. The questions are typically about your learnings and achievements from past, knowledge about job field and motive for applying.