Google

Average Difficulty
29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Adwords Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Applied online + Internal referral lead to recruiter contact. 4 Rounds of Interviews in total (Phone screening, two Google Hangout, one in person => decision to move forward to be reviewed by the hiring committee =>HIRED!

Phone Screening:
1) If you have 5000 emails in your inbox and 10 team members, you are the team leader how will you distribute them?
2) If you have two phone calls, in what order will you answer them?
3) Why do you want to work for Google and not a bank (I am a finance major)
4) What is your understanding of the position
5) Tell me about Adword
6) With your skill set, you could have applied to a similar position in your field, why did you choose Google

1st Hangout:
1. Tell me about Adword, and Adsense
2. Was there ever a time when your supervisor had given you incomplete or inaccurate instructions? What did you do to resolve that?
3. Was there ever a time when you experience conflicts between you and your teammate? How did you resolve that?
4. Predict the sales revenue of a certain Google product in this market (The country that you are applying to)
6. What is the hardest thing that you have to learn? Explain that to me

2nd Hangout:
1. Describe Adword to me in two sentences?
2. How will you acquire business from someone who is already ranked first in the organic search?
3. Two keywords flower shop and wedding planner, which one has a higher cost per click in this market
4. How did you hear about this position?
5. Tell me about the Internet landscape in (the country you are applying too)

In Person:
1. If you are to start a company in a city that you are living in, what would it be, how will you develop the product, market it and distribute it?
2. If you are the head of Google (the country you are applying to), and you want to double the revenue of Google, what will you do?
3. If a customer sees that his ROI on Facebook ads is higher than that of Google Adword and considering switching all of his investment over to Facebook, what would you say to him?
4. How did you convince an authority to listen to you?

Interview Question – If you are to start a company in a city that you are living in, what would it be, how will you develop the product, market it and distribute it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – able to negotiate starting date

Adwords Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The first three phone interviews were fun and not that challenging, the only issue is that it took three interviews for them to tell me I was lacking a major skill needed for this specific position.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected was asked. I got mostly experience and team-centric questions.   Answer Question

Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in August 2012.

Interview Details – Really great people. Challenged you to know a lot about the company and think on your feet about how you might improve what they're doing. Very good communication throughout the whole process.

Interview Question – Two favorite Google products and why? Now how would you make those better?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google in June 2011.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview asking about my interest in the position, and they went over my resume in great detail. The next phone interview was scheduled with the manager of the position I was applying for, and we talked more about the position and he asked me some logic questions (how many houses are painted red in Canada?, etc). The talk went well, and he said that it looked like I had a good resume to match the position. An on site interview was scheduled for three weeks away, and I asked for the day off work ahead of time, and read up on AdWords and AdSense extensively, but then on the day before the interview, they called to say that it had to be cancelled because of a recent staff meeting with senior management, and that they no longer wanted to fill the open position. It was very unexpected, and I was bummed out after all the planning ahead for this interview, but that's life! They were very apologetic about it, and everyone I talked to throughout the process was professional and sounded like a good person, so I'm planning on trying again if the opening ever comes up again, or something similar to it.

Mountain View, CA

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewing with Google was a great experience. I should first say, I was first contacted for a phone interview after submitting my resume internally through someone I know there. This is a great way to get noticed. Anyways, the first phone interview was pretty standard, and I got along well with the recruiter. She was pretty hard to understand on the phone. I was invited to interview on-site in Mountain View during the same conversation! I was surprised, but rolled with it.

They flew me out to Mountain View, and they payed for flight/rental car/hotel/generous amount of food every day. It was awesome. The interviews were not too hard. I wasn't asked any of these "brain teaser" questions you read about all the time, although some of the questions did test your ability to think reactively and quickly. My strong point was expressing my personality, interest in the position, and fit for the culture. If you've made it this far, there's no question you're qualified already. Just be excited about it and be yourself.

After four 30 minute interviews, I left Mountain View and 3 days later was contacted by the recruiter saying the team liked me and wanted to move forward with me. Now, I thought that an offer was coming, but I was wrong. The recruiter asks you to prepare some notes for her on all sorts of questions, such as your accomplishments, hobbies, experiences, and leadership examples. The idea is to get a sense of how "google" you are. Then, the recruiter contacted all my references and put together a packet of everything my references, I, and the inteviewing team said about me. She then submitted this packet to Corporate, which then gave the "approval" to give me an offer 2 weeks later. All said and done, the process took like 1 and a half to two months.

Overall: I think the "hype" surrounding the Google interview process, at least for this position in particular, isn't appropriate. Getting contacted in the first place is half the battle. From there on out, it's all about being cool, having concrete examples of your experience/leadership, and being able to relate and be friendly with the Google people. Just enjoy the ride.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate salary, able to negotiate start date.

Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in November 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was expectedly more tedious than most, but is not as bad as many claim it to be in terms of transparency, efficiency, and feedback, at least for my particular case. Aside from a non-functional archaic PDF employment application that wasn't compatible with Adobe (how ironic) and some constant probing of timeframes and interview logistics on my part, the experience was quite acceptable. I mean give em' a break, they are hiring hundreds of people a month...

First round interviews were conducted at my university's career center after I applied through online recruiting. It consisted of two back-to-back behavioral interviews with individuals from the Adwords team. Great experience, as I came prepared (read two or three books on Adwords and Online advertising). There was one quick mini-case question that Google likes to throw out every once in a while, but there is no right answer and it was actually a very reasonable one. I got called back the next day for a second round interview (very speedy).

Getting all the information and logistics ready for the second round interview was another story. After receiving the e-mail notifying me of my second round interview (no date, no time, no other information), I was in the dark for about three weeks. I repeatedly sent e-mails to the recruiters and finally got the logistics together. Hotels kept changing, but you do get a generous room service allowance!

The second round interviews were on-site. Shuttle picked us up from the hotel. You get placed with a group of other applicants (for the same or different position). They probably have one of these group interview days about every week. Spent nearly half a day there, doing the usual Google tour, meeting with some recruiters, asking questions ect. The interview was again another 2 back to back behavioral interviews with a couple of mini-cases about internet market sizing, how would you sell Adwords, ect. Again, nothing too out of the ordinary if you did you homework and can demonstrate a clear thinking process. Ate lunch at one of the gazillion cafeterias, had some small parting gifts, and off we went. Nice and smart people, but it seemed like the engineers definitely ran the show at Google.

Here is where the curveball was thrown. I was informed a week or two later that they thought I was more fit for another position (also within Adwords) and asked if I was still interested. Of course I agreed and we proceeded to reset the process all over again. Couple of weeks after another phone interview, I was given given the offer.

Overall it was an acceptable experience. The fact that it was with Google probably helped in keeping me excited and raising my patience level.

Interview Question – From your resume, it seems that you have had a fair amount of international experience. Why do you want this kind of position?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

The process took 6 months - interviewed at Google in February 2010.

Interview Details – Very difficult interview. The brain teaser was definitely an experience I would like to forget. The process of hiring was long and dragged out. (Was strung along for 6 months before I got a "no") Look elsewhere. If you think this is the norm for Silicon Valley, think again.

Interview Question – How many gallons of paint would it take to paint 1/3 of the houses in the US?   View Answers (4)

Adwords Associate

The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2008.

Interview Details – The process was fairly disorganized, I had many interviews in which the person did not show up or was late or looked like they were not expecting to have to interview anyone. I also felt like I got a lot of 'out of left field questions' that were not relevant.

Interview Questions

• How would you work with an advertiser who was not seeing the benefits of the AdWords relationship due to poor conversions?   Answer Question
  • How would you deal with an angry or frustrated advertiser on the phone?   View Answer

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details – Lot of stress on privacy issues and focussed mainly on how to solve them. Discussed in depth about various google products like gmail,adwords,blogger etc.
The interviewer was mainly testing how i could handle problems related to spamming, phishing etc....all the possible solutions i can come up with..
Questions were also asked about my projecct.

Interview Question – What are the possible solutions that you can think of to tackle various phishing and spamming attacks.   View Answer

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details – 6 rounds: CV scanning, recruiter contact, team leader interview, 3 independent heads interviews

Interview Question – Sell Adwords to an elder owner of flower shop who does not know anything about Internet.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google AdWords Associate interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.