Google

Getting the Interview

29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Professional and friendly. Combination of behavioral and hypothetical questions. Understand Google's products before going into the interview. Despite how much prep you do, interviewers will find a way to have questions that are unexpected. You should be able to articulate your framework for planning events and managing logistics for large gatherings of people.

Interview Question – What is your opinion on whether or not individuals should be required to use their official name when opening a gmail or Google + account?   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – Was referred through a current employee. Had an initial phone screen just to elaborate on qualifications/experience. A couple of weeks later had a phone interview with questions that were rather difficult and ended the interview having absolutely no idea what to expect. Two weeks later I was invited for an onsite interview with one EA and one AA - they were both exceptionally kind women and the interview was relaxed and informative. They asked very rational questions and posed hypotheticals. A week later I returned for an interview with the director of the team - the interview was fine, the director was a very nice man and asked applicable questions.

Did not get the job because of limited experience. The most frustrating aspect of the interview process was the nearly complete lack of feedback from the interviewers - I was able to squeeze "limited experience" out of the recruiters.

Interview Question – Talk me through the steps that would need to be taken when planning the opening party for a new Google Campus in Bangalore, India.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Applied online. Received screening call from human resources department. Checked work experience and set up an appt for a first interview. Waited a short while in reception. Interview was basic and professional. Was asked about previous jobs and why I was looking to work at google. Most questions pertained to whether I could handle the job based on my experience.

Interview Question – How would you handle a request from your boss that clearly violated company policy.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2013.

Interview Details – The first interview was actually more of an information verification check, conducted by a very junior recruiter. It lasted 15 minutes, and I didn't hear back again for more than a week. When I did, it was to let me know that the next step was a 45 minute (approx.) phone interview that would test my critical thinking and process skills. They asked me three hypothetical questions. I would list them here, but I fear they would give me away. :) Broad strokes version is that they want to know how you think, in the most minute of details. Unfortunately, I later realized that this is how they conduct all of their business: to the minutest of detail, even when that sort of detail is neither readily available nor helpful to the over all goal. I guess my answers were sufficient, because I got called to do an on-campus interview that was originally supposed to be in front of a panel of four others in my role. I was then called back for a final in-person interview during which I met three or four higher-ups over the period of approximately 3.5 hours, no break. All in all, the tedious nature of the process and the drawn out timeframe should have alerted me to how things are done on a basic level here. I wanted to work there, so I followed through with it. But I would never do it again. It didn't turn out to be worth it.

Interview Question – If you were given a box of pencils, list 10 things you could do with them that are not their traditional use.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They paid me slightly less than what I was making but did offer a wonderful benefits package, stock options, and a target bonus, the latter two of which I didn't have at my (then) current employer.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview wasn't too bad. Just typical questions like what are your weaknesses, strengths and how I handled certain situations. Some are tricky though.

Interview Question – Every man in a village of 100 married couples has cheated on his wife. Every wife in the village instantly knows when a man other than her husband has cheated, but does not know when her own husband has. The village has a law that does not allow for adultery. Any wife who can prove that her husband is unfaithful must kill him that very day. The women of the village would never disobey this law. One day, the queen of the village visits and announces that at least one husband has been unfaithful. What happens?   View Answers (8)

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – very friendly interview

Interview Question – why do you want to work here   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Google in February 2013.

Interview Details – Process was exactly as described by others who had worked there previously. Recruiter contacted me based on a submission from a Google alum. She was very friendly, asking me very basic questions about my background. Next step was a problem-solving call which was conducted by a very friendly person, but also very formal. First asked me to describe a "problem" situation of my own at my current job and then asked what I learned from it, etc. The "problem" he presented me with was "Google has acquired a company and you are responsible for facilitating all the employee's temporary move into Google's office space, as well as their permanent move into their new space in 3 months."

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – The process was arduous but the people involved were nice and accommodating. I wasn't interested in the role as much as working at Google, and thankfully I didn't get the job because I've since learned company hierarchy is very flat with little room for growth

Interview Question – LSAT style questions in the skills test   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I applied for an administrative position through the Google website and was contacted within a week by an HR representative who scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview was low stress and the woman who interviewed me was very friendly. It felt more informational than evaluative. She invited me to the Google campus to take the written test and suggested that I have a current employee endorse me if at all possible and to study up the logic section of the LSAT to prepare for the test.

I took the test and it wasn't as difficult as the LSAT but there were two fairly involved logic problems and an essay question about what kind of employee appreciation event you would plan given a budget of X (I can't remember exactly but the budget was generous, like $20,000+ dollars for a relatively small team and having only worked for strapped-for-cash nonprofits, I was pretty baffled on what kind of party I could possible spend that much money on . . . ).

After the test, I was able to find an acquaintance at Google who was willing to recommend me for the position. I then was brought in for an interview, only I ended up interviewing for an admin position with a different department than the one I had originally applied with, which was fine. At this point, I think almost two months might have passed since I had first applied for a job with Google.

My interview was with two women: one was the woman who held the position I was interviewing for and the other was another admin who she worked closely with. The interview was pretty straightforward, no gotcha questions. They asked why I wanted to work for Google, my best and worst qualities, how I felt about working with techies, a time when I felt I had improved a process at a previous job, how I dealt with a difficult boss, how I would handle on the job conflict. The only difficult, unexpected question, although given the written test it shouldn't have come as such a surprise, was one where I had to talk through the strategy I would use to plan an event. I think that's where I completely lost the job.

They did not end up inviting me back for a final interview, which would have been with the departmental manager. I believe I heard back in about a week. The HR woman I was working with offered to keep my resume on file. I never followed up and never heard back. Although I do think if I had followed up I might have stayed in the game longer as I had, up until that point, been pretty aggressively following up at every step of the process. In the end, it was a long hiring process and I was just looking at a low-level admin job I wasn't particularly excited about.

Interview Question – The question was something like, talk through with me the steps you would take to plan an employee appreciation event.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Applied through employee referral. Received an email a few days later to set up a phone call. First call was a quick chat to review the job and 3 general "fit" questions. Second phone call 2 days later was 3 official interview questions to determine my problem solving skills and general way of thinking.

Interview Question – 1. You have 15 new employees starting, talk me through their training schedule and logistics of setting them up to work. 2. Explain how you would set up a training program for admins in small businesses who use Google Apps in their business.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Administrative Assistant interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.