Google

Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.4

49 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2013.

A little over 2 weeks after I submitted my application, I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail. She asked if we could arrange a time to speak over the phone. We scheduled some time for later that week. During that initial phone screening we discussed my interest in the position, my current job, and established a deeper understanding of the role I was applying for.

After about 25 minutes, the recruiter said she'd like to arrange a time for me to speak with someone else who was actually in a similar position to the Associate Account Strategist role. A few days later, this call took place. There were a lot of situational questions.

- Tell me about a time when you overcame a challenge in the workplace
- How have you improved a certain process at work?
- Why Google?
- Tell me about a time when you spoke with a dissatisfied client and what did you do to appease them?
- Name 3 advantages of AdWords
- Have you ever improved the efficiency of a process/task at work?

Despite a lot of nerves, I got a call back and was asked to do an 'onsite' interview with 3 Googlers. I did this via a Google hangout since I was interviewing for a position in another country. Prior to the onsite interviews, the recruiter kindly walked me through how these interviews would be. She gave me lots of details including resources for how to prepare. They were right on point and helped to set a realistic expectation of what these interviews would entail.

The first interview was with the manager of the team. She asked questions about AdWords/Google products and my familiarity with role relevant skills like data analysis and client interaction. Example Questions:

-improvements you would make to your favourite Google product.
-Experence pulling and analysing data.

The second interview was with someone from another language team but in a similar role. She asked a lot of questions that started with, "Tell me about a time when..." or "Have you ever..." Example Questions:

- What accomplishment are you most proud of?
- A time when you took the initiative and led a project

Final interview was with someone else on the team I was applying for. He was friendly and asked situational questions as well as questions related to my personal interests. Example questions:

-What would you bring to the team?
-Why this particular position?
-How do you show creativity?

Overall, everyone I interviewed with was very professional and kind. I liked that everyone was polite, approachable but also to the point. I spent a lot of time preparing and used the following resources:

Glassdoor interview feedback
Google jobs website
Actual job posting description (read this many times so that I could have a firm understanding of the role)
Recruiter--Make sure to ask questions if you're unsure of anything. The lady I worked with was great about letting me know what to expect. It was incredibly helpful in planning on how to prepare.

Interview Questions
  • If Google decided to charge g-mail users, how would you recommend implementing this? Would it be sustainable and what would be the advantages and disadvantages?   View Answers (4)
Their offer was firm, no negotiations.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

I sent my resume to a recruiter who came to my campus to speak at information session and I applied online. 2 days later I was emailed by another recruiter (my main recruiter and point of contact for the entire process) who asked me to send in my transcript, an updated resume, as well as my availability during the week. I received an email a few days later with all the steps of the interview process and another email with the details for my first phone interview.

My interview was scheduled a week later which was nice because I had time to really prepare. It consisted of 2 back-to-back phone interviews. My recruiter sent over a guide to help me prepare for my interview which was really helpful. Combine the study guide with Glassdoor reviews and you'll be well prepared.

1st phone interview: Manager from Global Customer Experience
    He mostly asked questions about my resume (degree and work experience)
    •What are your career goals?
    •Tell me how what you learned while getting your degree will prepare you for this job
    •Questions about my work experience

2nd phone interview: Employee in the same role I was interviewing for
    some behavioral questions, some creative questions and 2 about Adwords
    •tell me about a time when you took on a leadership role
    •tell me about a time when you worked in a group and didn't agree with some of the ideas. How did you go about handling it and what was the outcome?
    •What do you think about the saying, "The customer is always right?"
    •Who is someone you look up to and what are some of their characteristics that makes them a good leader?
    •Tell me something about yourself that isn't on your resume
    • Why Google?
    • What is your understanding of this job position?
    •If you could create any product what would it be?
    •Explain Adwords to a 7 year old
    • Do you have any experience with Adwords?

I was very nervous but I just reminded myself to speak clearly and show my personality. I also prepared questions to ask that showed I had done my research on the company. I got an email the next morning with an invitation to interview onsite at the Ann Arbor office. Everything paid for by Google of course. The day consisted of a tour of the office and 2 back-to-back interviews: One with a manager and the other with 2 employees in the position I was applying for. The questions were very similar to the ones I got on my phone interviews, but I didn't get any questions about my resume.

•Tell me about a time when you analyzed data
    •There is a new bakery in town that wants to get started with Adwords. What would the pros and cons be for this particular business?
    • Tell me about a time when you dealt with an unhappy customer?
    •Tell me about something that we wouldn't know know anything about?
    •Rank your top 3 characteristics of a leader in order

I got an email while I was at the airport (about 7 hours later) saying that they'd like to move forward and present my candidacy to the hiring committee. A week later I received a call saying I got the job! After we got off the phone I received the offer in my email.

Overall it was a really great experience. Everyone is super friendly and my recruiter was very helpful during the process. Like everyone says, Google hires personality so make sure to show yours in the interview! Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • If you wanted to bring your dog to work but one of your team members is allergic to dogs what would you do?   Answer Question
    • Have you used Adwords in the past? What would you change about it to make it better?   Answer Question
    • Describe Adwords to a seven year old   Answer Question

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Contact via Email with around 5 Google employees. 2 Interviews, 1 with HR in Dublin about my CV and basic background questions, 1 with a person of my possible future team from Poland. Here I had to solve two short cases and talk a lot about my qualifications. (STAR) Also Adwords questions were asked. Communication very friendly and uncomplicated.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were mostly pretty straight forward. One question was if I had optimised a process in the past and how it benefitted others.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Initial online application, quickly received phone screen invitation, 2 additional phone interviews. Overall, it was what you would expect from an interview. Google hires personalities, so just be prepared to show off your personality and to be yourself! Great company overall and I wish all of you the best of luck in interviews.

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2014.

I applied online and it took about 2 weeks for someone to get in contact with me about an interview. It was unclear however, whether it would be a phone interview or simply a phone screening. When she did call me, she asked me to walk through my resume, why I was interested in the position, and then a few questions about Google AdWords. I felt a little shaky on this, as I'd never used Google AdWords, but I had done my homework, and felt able to accurately answer the questions. However, she did ask me whether I had had any prior firsthand experience with it and I did have to truthfully answer no, which I felt was a main reason I did not get called back for a next round interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

I knew someone who had graduated a few years before me from my university and was talking to him about his position with Google. Eventually he helped refer me to HR after I filled out the online application. I waited about 2 weeks and got the initial email inviting me to a phone interview. The format was two 30-minute interviews with 2 different people. I was VERY nervous and ended up not doing too well and did not get called back for that position. They asked me the usual "Why Google? Why Sales?" questions and general behavioral questions about working on a team or having a difficult client. They also asked me about AdWords, its advantages, and how I would describe it to a child.

What tripped me up were the questions about Google products. They asked me to discuss my favorite one and describe how I would market it to someone. They also asked about a product that currently is not using the most effective marketing strategy and how I would change that.

Luckily, my friend also referred me to a couple other positions so after another couple weeks I got a call from an HR representative asking me about what I might be interested in and the teams that were still interested in me. Later on that week I got my second chance at a phone interview for this new team. They asked me very similar questions so this time I was prepared. Some new questions I got were, "If you were given $10 million, what would you do with it?" And, "If you were given $10 and told to do something useful with it, what would you do?" They also asked me to describe something that I knew a lot about that the interviewer likely wouldn't know.

Later that day I was invited for an on-site interview. They paid for all my expenses and everyone at the office was extremely nice. The format once again was two 1-on-1 interviews. Most of the questions I got on-site were similar to what I'd gotten during my phone interviews.

Overall, no one is trying to trip you up like you often experience in other places so it can be an easy interview if you spend some time preparing. Make sure to know AdWords and find a way to show your personality!

It took 3 weeks after my on-site to get an offer which is a little longer than usual, but whenever there was a delay I'd get a call from HR so it helped me not worry too much.

Interview Questions
    • Describe AdWords to a child or your technology-challenged grandmother in under a minute   View Answers (2)
    • Your client is a local car dealership who uses AdWords but is not interested in expanding into mobile advertising. What are some advantages to mobile advertising that you would bring up in order to convince him or her to do so?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in March 2014.

Screening call: Simple 15 minute phone call with recruiter to assess my interest in the position (i.e. Why this position? Walk me through your resume. What is your understanding of this position?)

Phone interviews:
    Recruiter sent me a big list of materials to study to help me prepare. It was very comprehensive, and advised me on which topics to prepare to speak about with the interviewers. I felt that this was very fair and prepared me well for what was coming. I spoke first with a team member in Mountain View, CA who was very nice and relatable. The next person I spoke to was a manager, and that interview went a little more roughly-- as she had a very heavy accent and had me on speaker phone, which was pretty distracting. Despite the communication problems, she was very kind and did not ask me anything I felt was unexpected. (How would you spend $1 million in a day? How would you help a hotel owner (gives lots of details about the owner's situation) to market his business using Google products? And if you had to expand beyond Google products)

Onsite interviews:
    I was invited to do onsite interviews a day or two later. Scheduling was a pretty easy process, and Google set up and paid for travel and lodging. I was very impressed by their attentive-ness.

2 interviews were great- they have many interviews in one day, so I was onsite with a big group of people (that weren't interviewing for the same position as me). We had a tour of the office, then 2 30-minute interviews. I interviewed with two managers, one from client services and another from a similar department. Questions were fair and engaging, and though the interviewers recorded my answers and seemed to have a list of questions to ask, they veered from their script and we had nice conversation.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions I can remember-
      - Explain AdWords to my grandmother.
      - Explain something you know very well to someone who has no clue what it is. (For this one, they want to see you speak well and explain things in simple language, as you may have to for a customer)
      - If you could only choose one song to play every time you walked into a room for the rest of your life, what would it be? (I think this is more of a fun one, answer honestly!)
      - If a senior leader approached you at a meeting and casually asked your thoughts on how Google should switch to charging for GMail, what would you say? And would you make this switch? (This is an opportunity to your show attention to customer needs and business acumen)
      - Why did you chose your college major and how do you think it will help you in this role?
      - Tell me something about you that isn't on your resume.

Answer Question
    Offer is non-negotiable for entry-level positions. However, the offer was very competitive and I did not feel the need to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2014.

First, applied online then met with a University Programs representative on campus. My information was passed on to a recruiter. Recruiter contacted me about a position in the Ann Arbor office within a week. The following week, I scheduled 2 back-to-back 30 minute phone interviews with representatives from the Mountain View office. I was contacted the next day about the off-site interview for the following week in Ann Arbor. Flew out to Ann Arbor the day before my interview (all expenses paid for by Google) and left after my interview that day. I did not receive an offer, but happy to have made it as far as I did.

Interview Questions
    • How would you track results from online to offline marketing with a small business?   Answer Question
    • If you were CEO for a day, what product would you create?   Answer Question
    • What's your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2014.

Got Referred and contacted that I was being reviewed and then went thru a phone screening a week later. Screening lasted about 20 minutes. Was then contacted about 5 days later that they were not following thru.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a book of accounts that you were to contact once it was handed to you?   Answer Question

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

I submitted my resume through LinkedIn and heard back about two weeks later. I talked to a recruiter, my experience was perfect for the job and I was pushed through to the second round phone interviews. They're on strict time constraints of half hour interviews so they will cut you off regardless of where the conversation is at.