Google

Getting the Interview

23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details – A little over 2 weeks after I submitted my application, I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail. She asked if we could arrange a time to speak over the phone. We scheduled some time for later that week. During that initial phone screening we discussed my interest in the position, my current job, and established a deeper understanding of the role I was applying for.

After about 25 minutes, the recruiter said she'd like to arrange a time for me to speak with someone else who was actually in a similar position to the Associate Account Strategist role. A few days later, this call took place. There were a lot of situational questions.

- Tell me about a time when you overcame a challenge in the workplace
- How have you improved a certain process at work?
- Why Google?
- Tell me about a time when you spoke with a dissatisfied client and what did you do to appease them?
- Name 3 advantages of AdWords
- Have you ever improved the efficiency of a process/task at work?

Despite a lot of nerves, I got a call back and was asked to do an 'onsite' interview with 3 Googlers. I did this via a Google hangout since I was interviewing for a position in another country. Prior to the onsite interviews, the recruiter kindly walked me through how these interviews would be. She gave me lots of details including resources for how to prepare. They were right on point and helped to set a realistic expectation of what these interviews would entail.

The first interview was with the manager of the team. She asked questions about AdWords/Google products and my familiarity with role relevant skills like data analysis and client interaction. Example Questions:

-improvements you would make to your favourite Google product.
-Experence pulling and analysing data.

The second interview was with someone from another language team but in a similar role. She asked a lot of questions that started with, "Tell me about a time when..." or "Have you ever..." Example Questions:

- What accomplishment are you most proud of?
- A time when you took the initiative and led a project

Final interview was with someone else on the team I was applying for. He was friendly and asked situational questions as well as questions related to my personal interests. Example questions:

-What would you bring to the team?
-Why this particular position?
-How do you show creativity?

Overall, everyone I interviewed with was very professional and kind. I liked that everyone was polite, approachable but also to the point. I spent a lot of time preparing and used the following resources:

Glassdoor interview feedback
Google jobs website
Actual job posting description (read this many times so that I could have a firm understanding of the role)
Recruiter--Make sure to ask questions if you're unsure of anything. The lady I worked with was great about letting me know what to expect. It was incredibly helpful in planning on how to prepare.

Interview Question – If Google decided to charge g-mail users, how would you recommend implementing this? Would it be sustainable and what would be the advantages and disadvantages?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Their offer was firm, no negotiations.

Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – Screening call: Simple 15 minute phone call with recruiter to assess my interest in the position (i.e. Why this position? Walk me through your resume. What is your understanding of this position?)

Phone interviews:
Recruiter sent me a big list of materials to study to help me prepare. It was very comprehensive, and advised me on which topics to prepare to speak about with the interviewers. I felt that this was very fair and prepared me well for what was coming. I spoke first with a team member in Mountain View, CA who was very nice and relatable. The next person I spoke to was a manager, and that interview went a little more roughly-- as she had a very heavy accent and had me on speaker phone, which was pretty distracting. Despite the communication problems, she was very kind and did not ask me anything I felt was unexpected. (How would you spend $1 million in a day? How would you help a hotel owner (gives lots of details about the owner's situation) to market his business using Google products? And if you had to expand beyond Google products)

Onsite interviews:
I was invited to do onsite interviews a day or two later. Scheduling was a pretty easy process, and Google set up and paid for travel and lodging. I was very impressed by their attentive-ness.

2 interviews were great- they have many interviews in one day, so I was onsite with a big group of people (that weren't interviewing for the same position as me). We had a tour of the office, then 2 30-minute interviews. I interviewed with two managers, one from client services and another from a similar department. Questions were fair and engaging, and though the interviewers recorded my answers and seemed to have a list of questions to ask, they veered from their script and we had nice conversation.

Interview Question – All the questions I can remember-
- Explain AdWords to my grandmother.
- Explain something you know very well to someone who has no clue what it is. (For this one, they want to see you speak well and explain things in simple language, as you may have to for a customer)
- If you could only choose one song to play every time you walked into a room for the rest of your life, what would it be? (I think this is more of a fun one, answer honestly!)
- If a senior leader approached you at a meeting and casually asked your thoughts on how Google should switch to charging for GMail, what would you say? And would you make this switch? (This is an opportunity to your show attention to customer needs and business acumen)
- Why did you chose your college major and how do you think it will help you in this role?
- Tell me something about you that isn't on your resume.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer is non-negotiable for entry-level positions. However, the offer was very competitive and I did not feel the need to negotiate.

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – Got an initial call about two days after putting in an application. Set up an initial phone interview, which was mostly behavioral; The recruiting officer could not have been nicer. Did two more phone interviews that were more focused on the position. One with a manager, another with an employee in that position. Received an email about 6 days later saying I was not accepted for the position.

Interview Question – If you could be remembered for one sentence, what would it be?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume through LinkedIn and heard back about two weeks later. I talked to a recruiter, my experience was perfect for the job and I was pushed through to the second round phone interviews. They're on strict time constraints of half hour interviews so they will cut you off regardless of where the conversation is at.

Interview Question – They asked me about my transcripts   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Applied directly through Google's jobs page. I was contacted by a recruiter after a few weeks, who asked for my availability for a phone interview on a specific date another two weeks away (so the process up to the first interview was over a month). I was told that the call would be about 15-20 minutes and about my background and qualifications.

Right before the interview, the recruiter emailed asking me to resend my resume. When she called, it was clear right away that she had no interest in interviewing me, and based off the questions she was asking, I doubt she even looked at my resume after I sent it to her. At one point, she gave a long, drawn-out sigh as I started answering her question. At the end, I asked a few specific questions about the job's responsibilities, and she sounded annoyed by the time I asked my second one.

All in all, a fairly bad interview experience on my end because of the interviewer's condescending attitude. I hope her other interviewees had a much better experience than I did, because it made me reevaluate my impression of Google's culture.

Interview Question – All pretty standard first-round questions. One question specific to the role was, "What do you know about AdWords? How might it be used for a small, local business?"   Answer Question

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – First screening interview is very basic: Why Google, Why this position. Only lasts 15 minutes.
Second round is 2 interviews with managers in sales. Expect questions like: "How can adwords help a customer" and "tell me a time when you had to quickly react to a situation". I also had a few questions about how to prioritize customers and tasks.

Interview Question – Nothing that was unexpected. They did not ask any questions specifically about my resume.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online with an employee referral as well. Contacted by a recruiter to set up two phone interviews which were a half hour each back to back. I was then contacted minutes after the phone interview asking me to come onsite. Google's travel agency took care of all expenses, including hotel, flights, and a nice food stipend. Onsite interviews were the same format as the phone interviews, just general strategy questions regarding how I would operate in the position and talking about Adwords. Know the product well!!! There were two half hour phone interviews and then a half hour info session. I was contacted a week after the onsite interviews asking for more information from the hiring committee. A week and a half later, I was contacted saying I got the job.

Interview Question – Which kind of company would you rather target as a customer, a flower shop or a funeral home?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, package was very attractive for an entry level sales job

Wrocław (Poland)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I sent in my application and I got no response. Three months later I got an email out of the blue saying that they've found my CV in their database and they would like to do a phone interview regarding a different position that I originally applied for. As I was interested in the position, I gave them a time at which they could call me.
In this initial interview they talked about the position and its responsibilities, what I would be doing, and then we moved on to the questions. No surprises. There were some questions related to your past experiences (academic and/or professional) and a little bit of AdWords. At the end of the interview she said they would like to do a second round at a time suitable for me. She told me what I should expect from that interview, and gave me feedback on the current one.
The second interview (also a phone interview) was with a girl in the same position. The interview was conducted in my native language as the position itself also requires the use of my mother tongue. It was also a 30 minutes interview. There were no surprise questions. I prepared! Questions included:
- Why Google?
- Why this position?
- Tell me a time when you spoke with a dissatisfied, rather angry client, and how did you manage the situation?
- What are your key achievements, that you're most proud of?
- Difficult situations in my work with colleagues and how I solved them?
- How would you handle a conflict with a team member?
- Have you ever gone beyond your work requirements to help a team member?
- Your worst experience of working with a client.
- Name three benefits of Adwords.
- If a flower shop from your country calls you saying that he wants to get started on AdWords but doesn't really know what it is yet, how would you explain it to him and how would you get started on it?
- Name 3 benefits of AdWords.
- Name 3 things that you could improve in AdWords.

I think the interview went well. Both interviews were great. They were really helpful, patient, and kind. I'm still waiting for an answer whether I made it to the on-site interview. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Interview Question – There weren't any. I really prepared. Questions can be found in the above section.   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – First, I submitted my CV and received a email back from Google 3 months later.
I then arranged a phone interview with the recruiter she was friendly and asked me basic questions. I then was told I was through to the next round and she asked for a time and a date to suit me.

A week later, a member from the team rang me? The interview was quite challenging with some unexpected questions. I have to wait and see if I get through to the next round.

Interview Question – Describe Adwords?
If all of the internet went out in Dublin City what Google Apps could you use?

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume via the employee referral program. I heard back from Google that they had received my resume and would get back to me in two weeks. I heard back in three weeks regarding which position I was being considered for and to schedule a phone interview within the next two weeks.
The phone interview went very well and they mostly asked questions regarding my previous work experience and Adwords. After the interview I was told I passed on to the next stage of the process and was immediately scheduled for another interview the following week. I am currently in the process of preparing for this second interview.

Interview Question – Name three benefits of Adwords
Describe Adwords

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Associate Account Strategist interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.