Google Associate Account Strategist Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014

3.5

41 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

A little over 2 weeks after I submitted my application, I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail. She asked if we could arrange a time to speak over the phone. We scheduled some time for later that week. During that initial phone screening we discussed my interest in the position, my current job, and established a deeper understanding of the role I was applying for.

After about 25 minutes, the recruiter said she'd like to arrange a time for me to speak with someone else who was actually in a similar position to the Associate Account Strategist role. A few days later, this call took place. There were a lot of situational questions.

- Tell me about a time when you overcame a challenge in the workplace
- How have you improved a certain process at work?
- Why Google?
- Tell me about a time when you spoke with a dissatisfied client and what did you do to appease them?
- Name 3 advantages of AdWords
- Have you ever improved the efficiency of a process/task at work?

Despite a lot of nerves, I got a call back and was asked to do an 'onsite' interview with 3 Googlers. I did this via a Google hangout since I was interviewing for a position in another country. Prior to the onsite interviews, the recruiter kindly walked me through how these interviews would be. She gave me lots of details including resources for how to prepare. They were right on point and helped to set a realistic expectation of what these interviews would entail.

The first interview was with the manager of the team. She asked questions about AdWords/Google products and my familiarity with role relevant skills like data analysis and client interaction. Example Questions:

-improvements you would make to your favourite Google product.
-Experence pulling and analysing data.

The second interview was with someone from another language team but in a similar role. She asked a lot of questions that started with, "Tell me about a time when..." or "Have you ever..." Example Questions:

- What accomplishment are you most proud of?
- A time when you took the initiative and led a project

Final interview was with someone else on the team I was applying for. He was friendly and asked situational questions as well as questions related to my personal interests. Example questions:

-What would you bring to the team?
-Why this particular position?
-How do you show creativity?

Overall, everyone I interviewed with was very professional and kind. I liked that everyone was polite, approachable but also to the point. I spent a lot of time preparing and used the following resources:

Glassdoor interview feedback
Google jobs website
Actual job posting description (read this many times so that I could have a firm understanding of the role)
Recruiter--Make sure to ask questions if you're unsure of anything. The lady I worked with was great about letting me know what to expect. It was incredibly helpful in planning on how to prepare.

Interview Questions
  • If Google decided to charge g-mail users, how would you recommend implementing this? Would it be sustainable and what would be the advantages and disadvantages?   View Answers (4)
Their offer was firm, no negotiations.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in August 2014.

I applied online and it took about 2 weeks for someone to get in contact with me about an interview. It was unclear however, whether it would be a phone interview or simply a phone screening. When she did call me, she asked me to walk through my resume, why I was interested in the position, and then a few questions about Google AdWords. I felt a little shaky on this, as I'd never used Google AdWords, but I had done my homework, and felt able to accurately answer the questions. However, she did ask me whether I had had any prior firsthand experience with it and I did have to truthfully answer no, which I felt was a main reason I did not get called back for a next round interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Initial online application, quickly received phone screen invitation, 2 additional phone interviews. Overall, it was what you would expect from an interview. Google hires personalities, so just be prepared to show off your personality and to be yourself! Great company overall and I wish all of you the best of luck in interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

I knew someone who had graduated a few years before me from my university and was talking to him about his position with Google. Eventually he helped refer me to HR after I filled out the online application. I waited about 2 weeks and got the initial email inviting me to a phone interview. The format was two 30-minute interviews with 2 different people. I was VERY nervous and ended up not doing too well and did not get called back for that position. They asked me the usual "Why Google? Why Sales?" questions and general behavioral questions about working on a team or having a difficult client. They also asked me about AdWords, its advantages, and how I would describe it to a child.

What tripped me up were the questions about Google products. They asked me to discuss my favorite one and describe how I would market it to someone. They also asked about a product that currently is not using the most effective marketing strategy and how I would change that.

Luckily, my friend also referred me to a couple other positions so after another couple weeks I got a call from an HR representative asking me about what I might be interested in and the teams that were still interested in me. Later on that week I got my second chance at a phone interview for this new team. They asked me very similar questions so this time I was prepared. Some new questions I got were, "If you were given $10 million, what would you do with it?" And, "If you were given $10 and told to do something useful with it, what would you do?" They also asked me to describe something that I knew a lot about that the interviewer likely wouldn't know.

Later that day I was invited for an on-site interview. They paid for all my expenses and everyone at the office was extremely nice. The format once again was two 1-on-1 interviews. Most of the questions I got on-site were similar to what I'd gotten during my phone interviews.

Overall, no one is trying to trip you up like you often experience in other places so it can be an easy interview if you spend some time preparing. Make sure to know AdWords and find a way to show your personality!

It took 3 weeks after my on-site to get an offer which is a little longer than usual, but whenever there was a delay I'd get a call from HR so it helped me not worry too much.

Interview Questions
    • Describe AdWords to a child or your technology-challenged grandmother in under a minute   View Answers (2)
    • Your client is a local car dealership who uses AdWords but is not interested in expanding into mobile advertising. What are some advantages to mobile advertising that you would bring up in order to convince him or her to do so?   View Answer

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Got Referred and contacted that I was being reviewed and then went thru a phone screening a week later. Screening lasted about 20 minutes. Was then contacted about 5 days later that they were not following thru.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a book of accounts that you were to contact once it was handed to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

First, applied online then met with a University Programs representative on campus. My information was passed on to a recruiter. Recruiter contacted me about a position in the Ann Arbor office within a week. The following week, I scheduled 2 back-to-back 30 minute phone interviews with representatives from the Mountain View office. I was contacted the next day about the off-site interview for the following week in Ann Arbor. Flew out to Ann Arbor the day before my interview (all expenses paid for by Google) and left after my interview that day. I did not receive an offer, but happy to have made it as far as I did.

Interview Questions
    • How would you track results from online to offline marketing with a small business?   Answer Question
    • If you were CEO for a day, what product would you create?   Answer Question
    • What's your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Screening call: Simple 15 minute phone call with recruiter to assess my interest in the position (i.e. Why this position? Walk me through your resume. What is your understanding of this position?)

Phone interviews:
    Recruiter sent me a big list of materials to study to help me prepare. It was very comprehensive, and advised me on which topics to prepare to speak about with the interviewers. I felt that this was very fair and prepared me well for what was coming. I spoke first with a team member in Mountain View, CA who was very nice and relatable. The next person I spoke to was a manager, and that interview went a little more roughly-- as she had a very heavy accent and had me on speaker phone, which was pretty distracting. Despite the communication problems, she was very kind and did not ask me anything I felt was unexpected. (How would you spend $1 million in a day? How would you help a hotel owner (gives lots of details about the owner's situation) to market his business using Google products? And if you had to expand beyond Google products)

Onsite interviews:
    I was invited to do onsite interviews a day or two later. Scheduling was a pretty easy process, and Google set up and paid for travel and lodging. I was very impressed by their attentive-ness.

2 interviews were great- they have many interviews in one day, so I was onsite with a big group of people (that weren't interviewing for the same position as me). We had a tour of the office, then 2 30-minute interviews. I interviewed with two managers, one from client services and another from a similar department. Questions were fair and engaging, and though the interviewers recorded my answers and seemed to have a list of questions to ask, they veered from their script and we had nice conversation.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions I can remember-
      - Explain AdWords to my grandmother.
      - Explain something you know very well to someone who has no clue what it is. (For this one, they want to see you speak well and explain things in simple language, as you may have to for a customer)
      - If you could only choose one song to play every time you walked into a room for the rest of your life, what would it be? (I think this is more of a fun one, answer honestly!)
      - If a senior leader approached you at a meeting and casually asked your thoughts on how Google should switch to charging for GMail, what would you say? And would you make this switch? (This is an opportunity to your show attention to customer needs and business acumen)
      - Why did you chose your college major and how do you think it will help you in this role?
      - Tell me something about you that isn't on your resume.
        Answer Question
    Offer is non-negotiable for entry-level positions. However, the offer was very competitive and I did not feel the need to negotiate.

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Got an initial call about two days after putting in an application. Set up an initial phone interview, which was mostly behavioral; The recruiting officer could not have been nicer. Did two more phone interviews that were more focused on the position. One with a manager, another with an employee in that position. Received an email about 6 days later saying I was not accepted for the position.

Interview Questions
    • If you could be remembered for one sentence, what would it be?   Answer Question

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google.

I submitted my resume through LinkedIn and heard back about two weeks later. I talked to a recruiter, my experience was perfect for the job and I was pushed through to the second round phone interviews. They're on strict time constraints of half hour interviews so they will cut you off regardless of where the conversation is at.

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Applied directly through Google's jobs page. I was contacted by a recruiter after a few weeks, who asked for my availability for a phone interview on a specific date another two weeks away (so the process up to the first interview was over a month). I was told that the call would be about 15-20 minutes and about my background and qualifications.

Right before the interview, the recruiter emailed asking me to resend my resume. When she called, it was clear right away that she had no interest in interviewing me, and based off the questions she was asking, I doubt she even looked at my resume after I sent it to her. At one point, she gave a long, drawn-out sigh as I started answering her question. At the end, I asked a few specific questions about the job's responsibilities, and she sounded annoyed by the time I asked my second one.

All in all, a fairly bad interview experience on my end because of the interviewer's condescending attitude. I hope her other interviewees had a much better experience than I did, because it made me reevaluate my impression of Google's culture.

Interview Questions
    • All pretty standard first-round questions. One question specific to the role was, "What do you know about AdWords? How might it be used for a small, local business?"   Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!