Google

Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.4

49 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in August 2012.

The overall process took just over 2 months. It began with an email from a recruiter with a few questions about my education and work experience. After replying, we set up a date for a 30 minute phone call. The recruiter called, exactly to the minute, and ran through my CV - current role, why I want to leave, previous related experience - and asked questions to determine my knowledge of adwords and my interest in Google. She finished with some competency based questions - example of time you were innovative, etc, and then told me I was through to the next round. She provided a lot of helpful information and good interview advice as well as feedback from the phone interview. She explained the next round would consist of a marketing pitch (you're given a one page information on a client e.g., ABC toothpaste manufacturer and you have to prepare an adwords based marketing pitch based on one of a choice of scenarios) and we set up a date for this.

This time it was a manager on the team who called and we went through the marketing pitch followed by some more competency based questions and a huge focus on why google, and specific examples to each competency/question. About a week later I was informed that I was through to the onsite interviews. This took place a week later and consisted of three 45 minute interviews testing a range of competencies, knowledge of the position & adwords and passion for google. A week later I received another email saying I was successful and that the final stage was to prepare a candidate pack to be sent to hiring committees at the US headquarters.

This is where you get a chance to highlight all your googliness and achievements etc. A week later I was informed that my pack was approved by the first hiring committee and I would hopefully receive an offer if the final hiring committee approves the pack. I received a phone call from the recruiter on the scheduled date with great news and she gave me the main details of the offer. This was followed immediately by an email detailing the offer and benefits package.

The recruiter was absolutely amazing. She called exactly when she said she would, replied emails promptly with lots of information, even replying late at night and at weekends.
The interviews were also really interesting and each googler had different questions and even different interviewing techniques.

Apologies for the long essay, I just wanted to give as much info as possible because I know how useful the info on glassdoor was to me.

Interview Questions
  • If you could create a new product/service for Google, what would it be and how could Google make profits from it?   Answer Question
I didn't negotiate as the offer was in line with my expectations.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrocław (Poland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrocław (Poland)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2013.

I was recommended by a Google employee.
    First time I was contacted by a recruiter last year. I sent them my CV and motivation letter... No answer since then.
    A recruiter contacted me again last month and asked whether I was interested in working. I said yes, passed a short screening with a recruiter and sent in my updated CV and motivation letter.
    Then I passed an interview with a Google employee last week.
    Today I got a 'no' from them.

Interview Questions
    • Please name 3 things that you could improve in AdWords.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2013.

First call was fine, mock sales pitch however didn't go so smoothly. This lead to my dismissal.

Interview Questions
    • I named some cool new features of adwords (I hoped they liked the fact that I searched for them) but he turned it down saying: yes but that's all very nascent, why do you want to sell me this?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Google in June 2013.

Consisted of 2 phone interviews and 1 on-site interview.

1st phone interview was basically a 'get to know you' type of call. The lady from Google was incredibly helpful and kind (and continued to be throughout the entire process).

2nd call was a detailed role-play that involved me being a Googler talking to the marketing manager of a fictional bank. It took a lot of preparation, but it went well. I was invited to an on-site.

The on-site consists of 3 interviews. I thought each one went quite well, if not exceedingly well, and was quietly confident that I would be offered a place. Unfortunately it didn't happen. I think it must have been my lack of experience, but I was very disappointed as I thought I could have excelled in the role. That said, the process was OK, all the staff that I met were nice, and the recruiter in particular was fantastic. I was interviewed through an internal referral. I don't think that they would have looked at my CV if I wasn't referred internally.

Interview Questions
    • You have a product. How will you bring it to market (very open-ended)   Answer Question

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Google in June 2013.

3 rounds of interviews. Phone screening with HR in Brazil and a recruiter in montain view. The last round consisted of 3 interviews with members of the SMB team in Sao Paulo. Behavioural questions and sales roleplays + plus small case on the shampoo market size in Brazil to verify quant skills of the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • If you want to increase the login rates among google users navigating and searching, what would you do?   Answer Question

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Google in September 2013.

A little over 2 weeks after I submitted my application, I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail. She asked if we could arrange a time to speak over the phone. We scheduled some time for later that week. During that initial phone screening we discussed my interest in the position, my current job, and established a deeper understanding of the role I was applying for.

After about 25 minutes, the recruiter said she'd like to arrange a time for me to speak with someone else who was actually in a similar position to the Associate Account Strategist role. A few days later, this call took place. There were a lot of situational questions.

- Tell me about a time when you overcame a challenge in the workplace
    - How have you improved a certain process at work?
    - Why Google?
    - Tell me about a time when you spoke with a dissatisfied client and what did you do to appease them?
    - Name 3 advantages of AdWords
    - Have you ever improved the efficiency of a process/task at work?

Despite a lot of nerves, I got a call back and was asked to do an 'onsite' interview with 3 Googlers. I did this via a Google hangout since I was interviewing for a position in another country. Prior to the onsite interviews, the recruiter kindly walked me through how these interviews would be. She gave me lots of details including resources for how to prepare. They were right on point and helped to set a realistic expectation of what these interviews would entail.

The first interview was with the manager of the team. She asked questions about AdWords/Google products and my familiarity with role relevant skills like data analysis and client interaction. Example Questions:

-improvements you would make to your favourite Google product.
    -Experence pulling and analysing data.

The second interview was with someone from another language team but in a similar role. She asked a lot of questions that started with, "Tell me about a time when..." or "Have you ever..." Example Questions:

- What accomplishment are you most proud of?
    - A time when you took the initiative and led a project

Final interview was with someone else on the team I was applying for. He was friendly and asked situational questions as well as questions related to my personal interests. Example questions:

-What would you bring to the team?
    -Why this particular position?
    -How do you show creativity?

Overall, everyone I interviewed with was very professional and kind. I liked that everyone was polite, approachable but also to the point. I spent a lot of time preparing and used the following resources:

Glassdoor interview feedback
    Google jobs website
    Actual job posting description (read this many times so that I could have a firm understanding of the role)
    Recruiter--Make sure to ask questions if you're unsure of anything. The lady I worked with was great about letting me know what to expect. It was incredibly helpful in planning on how to prepare.

Interview Questions
    • If Google decided to charge g-mail users, how would you recommend implementing this? Would it be sustainable and what would be the advantages and disadvantages?   View Answers (4)
    Their offer was firm, no negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2013.

Phase 1: Phone interview with HR very straight froward questions about my education and work experience etc.

Phase 2: Phone interview with a member of the team i would join. More questions about my work experience, but also personal fit questions like. What role do you take on in a team ? How would you handle a conflict with a team member ?

Phase 3: In person interview at HQ in Dublin. I had 3 interviews bak to back. The first was with a team leader, the second with team member, and the third with the a team leader responsible for innovation in my market.

The atmosphere during interview was relaxed and friendly. It was more like a conversation with some personal fit questions, questions about Adwords, scenarios. But now and then i got a curve ball question so its important to remain focused.The scenarios were the most difficult questions, but remain calm, listen intently to the question, and allow yourself some time to come up with a well thought through answer and you will do fine.

It also important to let your personality shine through when your asked the lighter personal fit questions like - What interest do you have that are not on your CV ? What kind of person are you outside of work ?

Good luck !

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about to figure out why there was a decline in the proportion of first time solve customer issues ?   Answer Question
    That was a bit odd and the only negative thing. After i had found out that I passed the in person interview, I got an e-mail stating that that HR was working on hiring package for me that they would use to pitch me to the SVP for approval. The e-mail was extremely positive as if i had got the job even though i hadn't technically. A week later I was presented with hiring package and it met my expectations and then some . So i didn't feel any need to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2013.

Applied online with an employee referral as well. Contacted by a recruiter to set up two phone interviews which were a half hour each back to back. I was then contacted minutes after the phone interview asking me to come onsite. Google's travel agency took care of all expenses, including hotel, flights, and a nice food stipend. Onsite interviews were the same format as the phone interviews, just general strategy questions regarding how I would operate in the position and talking about Adwords. Know the product well!!! There were two half hour phone interviews and then a half hour info session. I was contacted a week after the onsite interviews asking for more information from the hiring committee. A week and a half later, I was contacted saying I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Which kind of company would you rather target as a customer, a flower shop or a funeral home?   View Answer
    No negotiation, package was very attractive for an entry level sales job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online – interviewed at Google in March 2014.

First, I submitted my CV and received a email back from Google 3 months later.
    I then arranged a phone interview with the recruiter she was friendly and asked me basic questions. I then was told I was through to the next round and she asked for a time and a date to suit me.

A week later, a member from the team rang me? The interview was quite challenging with some unexpected questions. I have to wait and see if I get through to the next round.

Interview Questions
    • Describe Adwords?
      If all of the internet went out in Dublin City what Google Apps could you use?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2014.

First, applied online then met with a University Programs representative on campus. My information was passed on to a recruiter. Recruiter contacted me about a position in the Ann Arbor office within a week. The following week, I scheduled 2 back-to-back 30 minute phone interviews with representatives from the Mountain View office. I was contacted the next day about the off-site interview for the following week in Ann Arbor. Flew out to Ann Arbor the day before my interview (all expenses paid for by Google) and left after my interview that day. I did not receive an offer, but happy to have made it as far as I did.

Interview Questions
    • How would you track results from online to offline marketing with a small business?   Answer Question
    • If you were CEO for a day, what product would you create?   Answer Question
    • What's your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question