Google Associate Account Strategist Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014

3.5

41 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

A little over 2 weeks after I submitted my application, I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail. She asked if we could arrange a time to speak over the phone. We scheduled some time for later that week. During that initial phone screening we discussed my interest in the position, my current job, and established a deeper understanding of the role I was applying for.

After about 25 minutes, the recruiter said she'd like to arrange a time for me to speak with someone else who was actually in a similar position to the Associate Account Strategist role. A few days later, this call took place. There were a lot of situational questions.

- Tell me about a time when you overcame a challenge in the workplace
- How have you improved a certain process at work?
- Why Google?
- Tell me about a time when you spoke with a dissatisfied client and what did you do to appease them?
- Name 3 advantages of AdWords
- Have you ever improved the efficiency of a process/task at work?

Interview Questions
  • If Google decided to charge g-mail users, how would you recommend implementing this?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

About one month after applying for the position online, I got an email from Google and an invitation for a phone interview. The first interview was mainly scanning my knowledge about Google and Adwords (i.e. "How would you sell Adwords for a small company?"), sales ("How could you improve your sales in X time by X%") and my interest towards the company and products ("Why sales? Why Google?"). The interviewer was very nice and encouraging throughout the whole interview, and at the end told me I had passed to the next level.

For the second (also by phone) interview with team manager, I got a very comprehensive package on how to prepare, what to take into consideration and where to find more information. I had also a case study to prepare. I was asked a lot of behavioural and personality questions ("How would you reach out a customer that has not been active for a long time?", "What is an accomplishment you are most proud of?") after the case study presentation. At the end I got a lot of time to ask questions and get insights, which was super nice and a great way to learn more about Google. The third interview was in Google Hangout with 3 different persons in different positions, and mainly again about Adwords, selling, behavioural questions and knowledge of Google overall. I felt that the interview went well, but got a call shortly after from HR saying that they had chosen someone else.

Overall, the interviews were a very positive experience. The HR was very supportive and kept me updated the whole time, and the interviewers were friendly yet professional, giving also opportunities to ask for more information and get insights.

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in August 2014.

I applied online and it took about 2 weeks for someone to get in contact with me about an interview. It was unclear however, whether it would be a phone interview or simply a phone screening. When she did call me, she asked me to walk through my resume, why I was interested in the position, and then a few questions about Google AdWords. I felt a little shaky on this, as I'd never used Google AdWords, but I had done my homework, and felt able to accurately answer the questions. However, she did ask me whether I had had any prior firsthand experience with it and I did have to truthfully answer no, which I felt was a main reason I did not get called back for a next round interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2014.

I applied online and got contacted a week later. The recruiter was very polite, asked me when I would be available for a phone screen interview. I had read all the reviews on Glassdoor so I felt prepared, though nervous. She was extremely nice, we even discussed something about the weather. She told me how the interview process would go and then asked me to tell her about my education, then about my work experience. Afterwards she told me she would ask me some situation questions, I was a bit surprised because from other reviews they asked these questions usually on the 2nd or 3rd interview but I think I did good. Some of the questions:
    - You're an account strategist and you need to do a pitch for a new client. What would you say?
    - What do you need to know about a business to make a good Adwords campaign?
    She didn't ask me anything general, like why do I want to work for Google, achievements, etc., only this type and later told me that I passed to the next interview which I have in a few days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Google in August 2014.

I got referred by a Google employee. After reviewing my CV we arranged a phone interview. They asked about my under and post graduate grades and about my experience. I am still waiting to know if I passed onto the next stage. They told me I would receive news in seven to ten days.

Interview Questions
    • The fact that she asked me about my experience with clients when my CV makes clear that I don't have any...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Initial online application, quickly received phone screen invitation, 2 additional phone interviews. Overall, it was what you would expect from an interview. Google hires personalities, so just be prepared to show off your personality and to be yourself! Great company overall and I wish all of you the best of luck in interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

I knew someone who had graduated a few years before me from my university and was talking to him about his position with Google. Eventually he helped refer me to HR after I filled out the online application. I waited about 2 weeks and got the initial email inviting me to a phone interview. The format was two 30-minute interviews with 2 different people. I was VERY nervous and ended up not doing too well and did not get called back for that position. They asked me the usual "Why Google? Why Sales?" questions and general behavioral questions about working on a team or having a difficult client. They also asked me about AdWords, its advantages, and how I would describe it to a child.

What tripped me up were the questions about Google products. They asked me to discuss my favorite one and describe how I would market it to someone. They also asked about a product that currently is not using the most effective marketing strategy and how I would change that.

Luckily, my friend also referred me to a couple other positions so after another couple weeks I got a call from an HR representative asking me about what I might be interested in and the teams that were still interested in me. Later on that week I got my second chance at a phone interview for this new team. They asked me very similar questions so this time I was prepared. Some new questions I got were, "If you were given $10 million, what would you do with it?" And, "If you were given $10 and told to do something useful with it, what would you do?" They also asked me to describe something that I knew a lot about that the interviewer likely wouldn't know.

Later that day I was invited for an on-site interview. They paid for all my expenses and everyone at the office was extremely nice. The format once again was two 1-on-1 interviews. Most of the questions I got on-site were similar to what I'd gotten during my phone interviews.

Overall, no one is trying to trip you up like you often experience in other places so it can be an easy interview if you spend some time preparing. Make sure to know AdWords and find a way to show your personality!

It took 3 weeks after my on-site to get an offer which is a little longer than usual, but whenever there was a delay I'd get a call from HR so it helped me not worry too much.

Interview Questions
    • Describe AdWords to a child or your technology-challenged grandmother in under a minute   View Answers (2)
    • Your client is a local car dealership who uses AdWords but is not interested in expanding into mobile advertising. What are some advantages to mobile advertising that you would bring up in order to convince him or her to do so?   View Answer

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Applied through a college job fair, had a call after two days. The initial interview was pretty straight forward, you need to know exactly what your role is about and should know a lot about AdWords. Be prepared to give a lot of examples.
    The second interview was through Google hangouts. It was 3 successive 45 min interview.
    The most important thing is not to be nervous and show interest in the company and role.

Associate Account Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Got Referred and contacted that I was being reviewed and then went thru a phone screening a week later. Screening lasted about 20 minutes. Was then contacted about 5 days later that they were not following thru.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a book of accounts that you were to contact once it was handed to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

I was a very inexperienced personnel at the time so I always knew it was a long shot. But I decided to apply anyway. Needless to say I only made it to the initial phone stage after submitting my CV/Cover letter online. But I was happy I got the chance to have a try.

As expected the recruiter was very pleasant and easy to talk to. A lot of the interview was based around Adwords and my understanding of it. She asked me to explain Adwords to a child, which I felt I did alright in. A big portion was also based around my general background and what I am doing in my current position. Fairly standard for an initial phone screening I'd imagine.

She also explained in detail how the interview process works, which I was impressed with seeing as she probably has to do that over 100 times a week. The dynamic of the actual position itself was also explained to me, and she told me how each person is issued accounts etc. You can have a small set of large accounts, or a large amount of small accounts.

Other questions included:

Why do you want to work for Google?
    What do you admire about Google?
    What is your proudest achievement?
    Are you applying for other positions at the moment?

She also asked the standard "do you have any questions for me". I asked her about charity involvement of Google and she had much to talk about that. She said being at Google is like college in the way that there are lots of societies and you can join any one of them and really get immersed. Sounds pretty sweet to me! I will probably interview again with them at some stage as they told me I didn't have enough experience, and they were right. She also encouraged me to apply again at a later stage which was nice.

I would recommend anyone applying to really be themselves, but also to be informed and have an opinion. Obviously you've probably heard of this "Googlyness" thing and I think they do value that alright. I knew two people already working there and this was something they consistently mentioned to me when I was preparing. I know it's a lot easier said than done, but try to be yourself! They're only people at the other end and they just want to see are you a right fit for the company. If you have the opinions/knowledge/expertise that will show through, just don't hinder your chances by trying to be too formal/someone you're not! Personality is vital.

Good luck!

Interview Questions

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!