Google

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Average Difficulty
35 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I knew someone who had graduated a few years before me from my university and was talking to him about his position with Google. Eventually he helped refer me to HR after I filled out the online application. I waited about 2 weeks and got the initial email inviting me to a phone interview. The format was two 30-minute interviews with 2 different people. I was VERY nervous and ended up not doing too well and did not get called back for that position. They asked me the usual "Why Google? Why Sales?" questions and general behavioral questions about working on a team or having a difficult client. They also asked me about AdWords, its advantages, and how I would describe it to a child.

What tripped me up were the questions about Google products. They asked me to discuss my favorite one and describe how I would market it to someone. They also asked about a product that currently is not using the most effective marketing strategy and how I would change that.

Luckily, my friend also referred me to a couple other positions so after another couple weeks I got a call from an HR representative asking me about what I might be interested in and the teams that were still interested in me. Later on that week I got my second chance at a phone interview for this new team. They asked me very similar questions so this time I was prepared. Some new questions I got were, "If you were given $10 million, what would you do with it?" And, "If you were given $10 and told to do something useful with it, what would you do?" They also asked me to describe something that I knew a lot about that the interviewer likely wouldn't know.

Later that day I was invited for an on-site interview. They paid for all my expenses and everyone at the office was extremely nice. The format once again was two 1-on-1 interviews. Most of the questions I got on-site were similar to what I'd gotten during my phone interviews.

Overall, no one is trying to trip you up like you often experience in other places so it can be an easy interview if you spend some time preparing. Make sure to know AdWords and find a way to show your personality!

It took 3 weeks after my on-site to get an offer which is a little longer than usual, but whenever there was a delay I'd get a call from HR so it helped me not worry too much.

Interview Questions

• Describe AdWords to a child or your technology-challenged grandmother in under a minute   Answer Question
  • Your client is a local car dealership who uses AdWords but is not interested in expanding into mobile advertising. What are some advantages to mobile advertising that you would bring up in order to convince him or her to do so?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details – Applied through a college job fair, had a call after two days. The initial interview was pretty straight forward, you need to know exactly what your role is about and should know a lot about AdWords. Be prepared to give a lot of examples.
The second interview was through Google hangouts. It was 3 successive 45 min interview.
The most important thing is not to be nervous and show interest in the company and role.

Interview Question – How would you value traffic?   Answer Question

Associate Account Strategist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – Got Referred and contacted that I was being reviewed and then went thru a phone screening a week later. Screening lasted about 20 minutes. Was then contacted about 5 days later that they were not following thru.

Interview Question – How would you handle a book of accounts that you were to contact once it was handed to you?   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was a very inexperienced personnel at the time so I always knew it was a long shot. But I decided to apply anyway. Needless to say I only made it to the initial phone stage after submitting my CV/Cover letter online. But I was happy I got the chance to have a try.

As expected the recruiter was very pleasant and easy to talk to. A lot of the interview was based around Adwords and my understanding of it. She asked me to explain Adwords to a child, which I felt I did alright in. A big portion was also based around my general background and what I am doing in my current position. Fairly standard for an initial phone screening I'd imagine.

She also explained in detail how the interview process works, which I was impressed with seeing as she probably has to do that over 100 times a week. The dynamic of the actual position itself was also explained to me, and she told me how each person is issued accounts etc. You can have a small set of large accounts, or a large amount of small accounts.

Other questions included:

Why do you want to work for Google?
What do you admire about Google?
What is your proudest achievement?
Are you applying for other positions at the moment?

She also asked the standard "do you have any questions for me". I asked her about charity involvement of Google and she had much to talk about that. She said being at Google is like college in the way that there are lots of societies and you can join any one of them and really get immersed. Sounds pretty sweet to me! I will probably interview again with them at some stage as they told me I didn't have enough experience, and they were right. She also encouraged me to apply again at a later stage which was nice.

I would recommend anyone applying to really be themselves, but also to be informed and have an opinion. Obviously you've probably heard of this "Googlyness" thing and I think they do value that alright. I knew two people already working there and this was something they consistently mentioned to me when I was preparing. I know it's a lot easier said than done, but try to be yourself! They're only people at the other end and they just want to see are you a right fit for the company. If you have the opinions/knowledge/expertise that will show through, just don't hinder your chances by trying to be too formal/someone you're not! Personality is vital.

Good luck!

Interview Question – Explain Adwords to a 6 year old.   View Answer

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position on Google's website and got a call about 10 days later by a Google recruiter. After an initial phone screen, we decided to move on and I was invited for three on-site interviews in Dublin. With preparation, its very easy to master these. After a week I received a call by the recruiter that the team wants to hire me, but did not get the headcount approved. This is the worst experience I had with a company I was interviewing with. How can you invite people to interviews without having headcount?

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had your worst experience working with customers   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had to decline because Google realized there was no headcount

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews and an onsite interview.
Just went through the phone interviews for now : my interviewers were very friendly and made me feel at ease.
The first interview was a regular HR one, to get to know me better and try to figure out if i fit in google s culture and for the job.
I was asked to prepare a mock pitch for the second round but the interviewer didn't really let me to go through it. When he saw that i prepared it, he just wanted to move on.
I m going soon to the onsite interview :)

Interview Question – You are a SMB and you have never used adwords. How much would you bid ?   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I applied through the employee referral process and received an email yhe same day confirming my application. On the same day, a recruiter sent an email requesting for me to confirm an interview date.

I was called two weeks later for an initial interview by my recruiter. It was a thirty minute interview with questions like:
1. Why do you feel you are suitable for this position?
2. What are the roles in this position?
3. What is your understanding of AdWords?

I received an email shortly after the interview confirming I had passed and would be scheduled for my second interview. My second interview was about two weeks later on phone by someone in the same position. She asked questions like:
1. What is your favourite Google product?
2. If you had superpowers, what would they be?
3. What is your hobby?
4. What kind of books do you read and which was the lasg pne you read?
5. What makes you suitable for this position?

Two days later my recruiter sent a confirmation email that I had passed my interview amd referred me to a new recruiter. Two weeks later my new recruiter set me up for an interview with a team of three via hangouts as I was interviewing for a role in a different continent. The interview happened about a week or two later. The panel consisted of two team members and the team manager of the team I would be joining. Some of the questions they asked were:
1. What is AdWords?
2. What is your favourite Google product and why?
3. What does CTR mean?
4. How can you increase sales rate by 25% in 3 months?
5. Why do you want to work for Google?

I then received a confirmation from my recruiter a week later that I had passed and since I was interviewing for a foreign language, I would need a language test interview which was set up for two days later. The whole interview had questions similar to previous interviews but was all in a foreign language. Two weeks later, I got confirmation of passing the interview and was set up for a final telephone interview with a senior member of the team i was joining. Questions were like:
1. How will you handle the pressures of work while in school (I attend graduate school)
2. What is your thesis about and why that topic?
3. Is Google a good brand in your opinion? Why or why not?
4. What is a good brand?
5. What is Google's greatest challenge as a company?

My recruiter called half an hour later to confirm I had passed. She then created my profile which was evaluated by the employment committee. I received a call a week later to be given my job offer. An email was then sent with my job offer.

Interview Question – There wasnt really any difficult question. Perhaps what is Google's greatest challenge as a company.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was a good offer, no need to negotiate.

Wrocław (Poland)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I originally signed up for general information about openings at google at a university job fair. A few weeks later I was approached by their HR about an opening that would have matched my language profile.
A phone interview was quickly scheduled, mostly focusing on general information, but finished with classical job-interview questions (like were you ever in a conflict in your earlier work environments? How did you solve it?) and finally a few on actual experience with using AdWords and the state of digital marketing.

Interview Question – How would you explain AdWords to your grandmother?   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details – Initial interview at the university. Very positive experience. General interview questions and some questions about adwords. Then 3 onsite interviews with team members of the position in question. Different types of questions, scenario questions, usual interview questions, questions about adwords. Google way of interview questions are behavioural type, which is the best type of questions in my opinion. Overall very positive experience. After the onsite interviews, there was a stage that certain committees should approve the application in order to receive an offer. Most nervous phase for me was this last one.

You should be prepared for the interviews. Recruiter assisted me a lot during the whole process and was very nice, kept me updated at every step. Also Google likes to keep the process as fast as possible, which is also a very good thing.

Interview Question – Scenario questions were the most difficult ones, but I don't remember them in detail. Basically they describe a scenario and want to see your way of approaching it.   Answer Question

Associate Account Strategist

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Got contacted by a Google recruiter who wanted to discuss my work experience as they had a few openings she thought would suit me perfectly. After mails back and forth for 1 month we had a phone interview and currently waiting for next steps. We also discussed 2 different positions and had a common understanding about which one would suit me.

Interview Question – The whole process all questions related were quite demanding. Good preparation required!   Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!