Google

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially set up for a 45 minute phone interview that went really well and it consisted of some hypothetical questions regarding Youtube and how to make it a better system given certain scenarios. There was some cost benefit analyses as well as probability questions. We touched on some engineering concepts very generally such as recursion and machine learning.

I had my on-site interview in NYC and it consisted of three 1:1 interviews and a lunch with a present APM. Two of the interviews were testing my pm skills regarding a new service google would offer college students and another was regarding the costs of running GMail. The third was with a senior software engineer who tested me on graph algorithms and distributed systems.

One thing I would also say that Google's recruiters are really good with scheduling and just making sure everything runs smoothly. I would get really prompt responses --- probably the best experience i have had with recruiters.

Associate Product Manager Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Phone interview started at sharp 3.00 p.m. and lasted around 45 minutes. The interviewer introduced himself, giving his background. Then asked tell me a bit about yourself. There were 2 questions asked in all.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty straightforward.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Initial email contact with a recruiter setting up a phone interview. (Beginning of December) Spoke with a product manager for the phone interview and asked a basic technical question and then some product design questions. Overall straight forward though I was very nervous as this was my first interview in over a year. After about a week I was contacted by the recruiter saying they'd like to move forward with the process and set up an on-site interview. The holiday season was upon us so this was scheduled in early January.

On-site interview consisted of an interview with a Product Manager, an Associate Product Manager, and then lunch with an Associate Product Manager. The first two were interviews while the last one was more of a get to know the company and they were told to not write any comments or evaluate anything.

The interview with the product manager consisted of a lot of design questions and trying to get to know my likes and what I'm looking for in Google. We discussed the position and some mostly design related questions.

The interview with the associate product manager was more of a design/technical type interview where I was asked to brainstorm a product with him and from there give technical details on the design.

Finally the lunch was nice, the associate product manager I spoke with was very nice and I was able to ask any and all questions to get to know the position more.

The process was fairly smooth and the recruiter was very clear in the communication and helped me through the process.

Recruiter Contact to Phone Interview (1 Week for scheduling)
Recruiter to get back on "moving forward" to on-site interview (1 Week from phone interview)
Scheduling I'd say would be roughly 1 week though I had the holiday season interfere.
Recruiter to get back about on-site interview results (1 Week after on-site interview).

The recruiter describes the process so if I were to get an offer it would have been an essay to continue the process and then another processing period which they said could be 3-4 weeks.

All interviews were roughly 45 minutes in length.

Interview Question – Signed NDA. But for most part I think brainstorming a product design caught me off guard during first on-site interview and kind of went down a path that made it difficult to be creative for me.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview Details – I had an on-campus interview scheduled through my University's career center. It involved two half-hour interviews with two Associate Product Managers. Most of the questions gave you a product and you had to explain your ideas for how to improve or design the product.

Interview Question – First he asked me some of my most frequented websites. Then picked one (Facebook) and asked how to improve it.   View Answer

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!