Google

Updated Feb 13, 2015
Updated Feb 13, 2015

3.7

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in February 2009.

I was referred by an employee and after my resume was sent in by my referral, I received an e-mail about a month later to schedule a phone interview with a Product Manager. Google is quite flexible in scheduling the phone interview so that was great.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Google in May 2009.

The onsite interview was with six people, each half an hour -- three before lunch, three after. Questions varied from person to person, ranging from personality interviews, to design questions, to brain teasers, to computer science questions.

The people were relaxed, dressed casually. The office reflected its people -- very casually designed and laid out, with lots of places to relax (pool, ping pong, arcade games, more).

Associate Product Manager Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Overall, I thought that the HR department at Google was very helpful and easy to work with. However, it seems that for APM they are still using Fermi Questions. Overall, I was not happy with my performance on the interview, but much of that has to do with not knowing what to prepare in the first place. It didn't seem like going over technical skills helped at all. The first round was a Fermi Question (below) and other questions like

Interview Questions
    • If scientists said that phone batteries could not get any better. What would you do to make a better phone experience?   View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google in August 2013.

Initial communication was simple and seamless. I had 5 interviews - 1 phone screen and 4 on-site interviews. The interviews tested me on a wide range of skills, from product design to analytical. I thought everyone was really smart, friendly, and passionate about their work and Google. I thought the culture seemed very open; all of my interviewers told me detailed descriptions about what they were working on when I asked and people in the hallways were willing to stop and point me in the right direction when I got lost.

Associate Product Manager Interview

interviewed at Google in October 2014.

Applied online and had an initial phone screening, then an onsite second round with 3 more interviews. All the interviews were similar except for one technical interview. The rest were all design questions and estimation questions.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers give very little feedback. Expect estimation questions.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2013.

Got the phone interview with Google. Got 3 questions.
    (1) You have an array of points (x, y), find a line that passes through most # of the points
    (2) What is your favorite application/technology. If you are the PM of that technology, how would you plan the next 6 months of your project timeline? What feature would you add?
    (3) Assuming you have an free / ad version of online newspapers and a subscription version of online newspapers. How do you do cost estimation. How do you estimate the traffic? (before you even launch it)

One thing I hate is that the interviewer has this thick Indian accent. I can't hear him clearly... Doubt that he understands my answer too. Got the thank you for interviewing email the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Compare Ad version of an app vs paid version of an app. Estimate the profit.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google.

Lots of questions about your opinion on Google products and of hypothetical new products. They will ask you your favorite new product and how you could market it further, increase its profits, etc.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in February 2011.

After two phone interviews, I was invited to Mountain View where I had 4 interviews during one day that all were asking me for problem solving (I am trying to find a pot of gold in the middle of the jungle in Brazil, how can I get there the cheapest way possible), etc.

Offices were beautiful, the lunch was absolutely fantastic.

Interview Questions
    • How can I get to some gold in the middle of the amazon in the cheapest way possible?   View Answers (4)

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in January 2012.

First round interview was a phone interview with a Google PM, he asked a few design questions, very broad and not so difficult. I think it was more to get a feel for how creative you can be. The interview was really short, probably less than 40 minutes. I didn't expect a call back.

Surprised when I did hear back 2 weeks later with an invitation to on campus interview. They flew a bunch of us in and even arranged a scavenger hunt for us around SF. The actual interview day was long, and consisted of 4-5 one on one interviews with existing APMs. Each of them are responsible for one "area", such as technical, design or both. The design questions often have to do with how to improve an existing product or how to design a consumer product from scratch. Since Google is a web-based company all the designs had to do with websites or mobile apps. Overall, there wasn't any too difficult, but it's hard to think on the spot sometimes.

The culture is great, you can tell everyone is super smart there and you'd be able to extract a lot out of the experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a windshield wiper (extra features etc.)?   View Answer
    • What's your favourite website? How would you improve it?   Answer Question
    • Estimate how much gmail costs for Google per user per year?   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Google in June 2012.

1 Phone Screen, 5 Onsite, 1 Essay, 1 Onsite

- Starts with a phone screen with current APM where they ask vague/design questions on products (can be Google related or not)

- 3 Onsite APM interviews that are similar questions (number-driven, vague, theoretical product design)

- 1 Onsite technical interview with current software engineer (all coding)

- 1 Onsite with current director-level PM (vague product design/working with a team/collaborating questions)

Interview Questions
    • Had to calculate expected value randomly in one onsite
      How would you design a mobile app which gave you your current mood
      Does renting formal dresses make sense?

Answer Question