Google

Average Difficulty
39 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Santa Clara, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Google in April 2008.

Interview Details – I was emailed after submitting my resume through their online process (canned email). Two weeks later I received an email saying they would like to have a phone interview. I replied yes and they scheduled something for the next day (no alternative times offered). I had two phone interviews with Associate Product Managers. The first consisted of questions to show how much I loved Google (how much do you use our products and how many products can you name). The second interview had more questions about what new product I would want to champion for development at Google.

1 week letter I received a thank you for applying email. A day after that an email asking me to provide feedback on their interview process.

My opinion of their interview process: I would say that it felt like they were checking the box by replying to my resume and had no real job available (aka they wasted my time). This was reaffirmed by my interviewers attitudes which sounded like they had no time. One of them was also fairly rude and full of himself which I was told after the fact is not uncommon in the company. Finally, if you aren't drinking the "Google is the best place in the world ever to work" Kool Aid I wouldnt bother applying.

Interview Question – If you were at Google what new product would you like to have developed and why?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Mountain View, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in May 2009.

Interview Details – The onsite interview was with six people, each half an hour -- three before lunch, three after. Questions varied from person to person, ranging from personality interviews, to design questions, to brain teasers, to computer science questions.

The people were relaxed, dressed casually. The office reflected its people -- very casually designed and laid out, with lots of places to relax (pool, ping pong, arcade games, more).

Interview Question – What are three long term challenges facing google?   View Answers (2)

Very Difficult Interview

Mountain View, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Google in February 2009.

Interview Details – I was referred by an employee and after my resume was sent in by my referral, I received an e-mail about a month later to schedule a phone interview with a Product Manager. Google is quite flexible in scheduling the phone interview so that was great.

Interview Questions

Associate Product Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2013.

Interview Details – Got the phone interview with Google. Got 3 questions.
(1) You have an array of points (x, y), find a line that passes through most # of the points
(2) What is your favorite application/technology. If you are the PM of that technology, how would you plan the next 6 months of your project timeline? What feature would you add?
(3) Assuming you have an free / ad version of online newspapers and a subscription version of online newspapers. How do you do cost estimation. How do you estimate the traffic? (before you even launch it)

One thing I hate is that the interviewer has this thick Indian accent. I can't hear him clearly... Doubt that he understands my answer too. Got the thank you for interviewing email the next day.

Interview Question – Compare Ad version of an app vs paid version of an app. Estimate the profit.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – I was referred by one of their employees for the position and that is probably why they contacted me. Of course, I had asked my friend to refer me and he knew me well enough to do so. The whole initial back-and-forth about scheduling and the job description took me a week. The phone interview was with one of their PMs and lasted 45 minutes. It was quite easy. One role-playing question about monetizing a fictional API and one estimation question. They told me my answers were "perfect" (I really am quoting here). They were extremely nice when they told me I couldn't get the position because in spite of my answers, I just wasn't as good a match overall as they would want.

Interview Question – Estimate the cost to Google of maintaining an average user's GMail account for a year.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Google in April 2012.

Interview Details – Initial Phone Interview

Interview Question – How much would it cost Facebook for storing photographs uploaded by the users over the next 2 years?   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Google in June 2012.

Interview Details – 1 Phone Screen, 5 Onsite, 1 Essay, 1 Onsite

- Starts with a phone screen with current APM where they ask vague/design questions on products (can be Google related or not)

- 3 Onsite APM interviews that are similar questions (number-driven, vague, theoretical product design)

- 1 Onsite technical interview with current software engineer (all coding)

- 1 Onsite with current director-level PM (vague product design/working with a team/collaborating questions)

Interview Question – Had to calculate expected value randomly in one onsite
How would you design a mobile app which gave you your current mood
Does renting formal dresses make sense?
  Answer Question

Associate Product Manager

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2011.

Interview Details – It was Interesting. They seemed to ask a lot of questions designed for the "regular" employees. As a marketing major, I'm not "normal" by Google standards. I'm not a computer nerd, and the whole thing was different than anything that I 've experienced. It was just weird. I'm not sure what happened

Interview Question – How many balloons fit inside of San Francisco?   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Google in January 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for this position through the Google Jobs page in November end and got an email from the HR on 8th of Jan this year and she wanted to setup a basic interview call with to introduce me to the company, know a little bit more about me.
She was calling from London and this position was in Switzerland.
She asked me to introduce me, tell her what was on the resume and she in turn told me about the position.
Then she asked me for to wait for an email informing whether there will be a next round or not.
I googled the position, read the questions that were posted on various blogs and realized that they werent looking for exact ans to the questions, they were probably analyzing the approach to problem solving.

Interview Questions

• You are a PM and about to launch a photo sharing site, what would be the size (as in terms of Terabytes) of your server.
    This is for the customers in US only.
      Answer Question
  • How to make crawling better, so that better search results are displayed?   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager

The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

Interview Details – Two or three phone screens with recruiters. A 30 minute interview with another APM. Then flew out to HQ, from VA, for the on-site interviews. 3 hour long interviews before lunch, lunch interview and 3 varied length interviews after lunch. Was on the campus about 6 hours total. One interview was purely technical, the others were focused on strategy and creative thinking/problem solving.

Interview Question – How much storage does Youtube.com need?   View Answers (2)