Google Associate Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2015

3.7

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Google in January 2010.

Interview

Initially it was phone interview which took about 45min. Interviewed by Manager. Questions very easy at the beginning but later it went very technical and tough.

Interview Questions

• Total size of the Google server   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in October 2009.

Interview

There were 2 phone interviews, mostly asking design questions.

1. Airports are inefficient. What would you do to improve them?
    2. It is difficult to remember what you read, especially after many years. Contemplate how to address this.
    3. If Google were to offer a TV commercial service, how would you implement this?

The interviewers were hard to read... I still have no idea what would have made stellar answers to these.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a TV commercial service?   1 Answer

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in October 2009.

Interview

Being my second job interview ever, I did plenty of research beforehand on the kind of questions I would be asked for an Associate Product Manager position. I learned that Google expects their APMs to have a blend of technical saavy mixed with business knowledge. Thus, I studied both algorithms and considered some common types of business design questions.

As it turned out, my interview turned out to be entirely about the business side of things and putting me in the role of a real world product manager. I highly enjoyed this approach because it really allowed my creativity to flex itself with unconventional answers. I imagine future interviews may include more tests of technical capabilities, but the first interview begins with personal questions followed by strict role-playing.

Interview Questions

• What website do you visit the most and what would you do as PM for that website?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

Initial screening interview. Got it because I was an intern at Google before. First asked about my experiences and why I wanted the PM position. Then came the harder questions. Asked me if I had any questions at the end. They are hiring very few APMs and more SDEs this year. If you make it past the 2 phone interviews, you'll get a day of on site interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to estimate the revenue of various free web services from Google and competitors.   1 Answer
    • Asked me how I would improve a Google product. My background is in SDE so he didn't ask me any programing/math questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2009.

Interview

Received request for phone interview nearly six months after applying. Had a phone interview with a Post MBA product manager. The interview felt very rushed. Spent the majority of time talking about my favorite Google Product, a technology that excites you and how to value twitter. Received a thank you for applying email 1 week later.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite google product and what would you change about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

The onsite interview was with six people, each half an hour -- three before lunch, three after. Questions varied from person to person, ranging from personality interviews, to design questions, to brain teasers, to computer science questions.

The people were relaxed, dressed casually. The office reflected its people -- very casually designed and laid out, with lots of places to relax (pool, ping pong, arcade games, more).

Interview Questions

• What are three long term challenges facing google?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2009.

Interview

Applied online and had initial phone interview. After the phone interview, I was flown down to Mountain View to interview with a group of other new grads. I was the only person within the group that was not from an Ivy League school, and that came up during all my 1;1 interviews. I think they take it overly seriously there. I had about 4 1;1 meetings while down there, but really the whole day is one big cultural fit interview.

Interview Questions

• How many ping pong balls fit in a school bus?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

I was referred by an employee and after my resume was sent in by my referral, I received an e-mail about a month later to schedule a phone interview with a Product Manager. Google is quite flexible in scheduling the phone interview so that was great.

Interview Questions

• What is the marginal cost of a gigabyte in gmail?   11 Answers
    • Why is a good user interface good for the company?   3 Answers
    • What google product do you like the best and how would you improve it?   1 Answer
    • How would you design google maps?   2 Answers
    • Not really a question, more of a general strategy.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in November 2008.

Interview

Full on-site interview process with roughly 10 people, written essay, phone interview, culminating in a group scavenger hunt in San Francisco. Process was very thorough, but not intimidating; there are plenty of great Googlers involved with the process. Only criticism would be that it was a long, somewhat drawn out affair.

Interview Questions

• There were no trick questions and I don't recall any particularly difficult questions. Given the number of interviews and people involved in the process, you can't really prepare.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Google (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2008.

Interview

I was emailed after submitting my resume through their online process (canned email). Two weeks later I received an email saying they would like to have a phone interview. I replied yes and they scheduled something for the next day (no alternative times offered). I had two phone interviews with Associate Product Managers. The first consisted of questions to show how much I loved Google (how much do you use our products and how many products can you name). The second interview had more questions about what new product I would want to champion for development at Google.

1 week letter I received a thank you for applying email. A day after that an email asking me to provide feedback on their interview process.

My opinion of their interview process: I would say that it felt like they were checking the box by replying to my resume and had no real job available (aka they wasted my time). This was reaffirmed by my interviewers attitudes which sounded like they had no time. One of them was also fairly rude and full of himself which I was told after the fact is not uncommon in the company. Finally, if you aren't drinking the "Google is the best place in the world ever to work" Kool Aid I wouldnt bother applying.

Interview Questions

• If you were at Google what new product would you like to have developed and why?   Answer Question