Google Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 4, 2014

3.7

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

I initiated the process by responding to an email message from a sourcer and was handed off to a recruiting coordinator. I spoke several times with the recruiting coordinator, who was my primary contact point throughout the proces. After an intial phone screen, I was invited onsite to speak with 5 engineers (with a break for lunch mid-day).

Folowing the interviews, I received a tentative "not officially an offer" congradulatory call at which point we discussed teams that would be a good match for my skill set. Once one was selected, I received a formal offer, which I had 5 business days to accept.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in May 2014.

The process was pretty straight-forward. A recruiter got in touch with me and scheduled an HR round. This was followed by a technical phone screen. I was then invited on-site (Cambridge, MA) for a full day of interviews. The whole process took a little more than 10 weeks.

I personally thought the on-site interviews went very well. Did everything recommended by the Google recruiting teams. But in the end (after a painful wait of more than two weeks!) I was told that they've decided not to make an offer. I wasn't given feedback on what went wrong, even though the decision-making process took forever. I was told "it is Google's policy" not to elaborate on the reasons behind the decision!!!

Interview Questions
    • I would not say any of the questions were particularly difficult, but they were a bit tricky. Make sure you test your code for boundary conditions and with different inputs. And always, THINK OUT LOUD!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2013.

I have no idea how they hire people. My only rule so far is "whatever you think the result of your interview with Google is - you are wrong". First time I though I did a lousy job - I got to the next phase. Next time I thought I did well - this turned out to be false. The questions during an on-site interview were not difficult, but really niche, requiring a very particular background.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

I interviewed in Cambridge having recently finished a PhD. Communication was effective, though sporadic — overall the process took ~4 months, though holidays and my own schedule got in the way somewhat.

I had two days of interviewing, with 2 technical interviews each day and one thesis discussion. My overall impression was very positive: the interviewers were interested to see how I think, and encouraging / supportive when I hesitated or wasn't sure of how to proceed. Half of the interviewers had more of a "professional" appearance and half had more of a "hacker" appearance.

Questions ranged from basic "write this recursive function" to more open-ended "start designing this type of system, even though obviously you won't finish in 45 minutes." Nobody was super picky about code style or being a Java know-it-all, but emphasis was placed on being able to write clean, clear, maintainable code.

Interview Questions
    • An open-ended question about designing an interesting 2D puzzle. There was a requirement of "interestingness," which was left open to the interviewees interpretation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google in January 2013.

Applied through employee referral. They responded in 24 hours, by which I was quite surprised.

Interview Questions
    • Question was to be implemented in a shared document and I missed out on some edge cases but got the algorithm right for the most part.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Practicum Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in November 2012.

The interview wasn't as challenging as I thought it would be in the sense that the coding questions were not that challenging, but conceptual questions were very interesting. I was asked to explain how someone could check for duplicate files in a 20GB directory, for instance.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in November 2012.

I was contacted by a recruiter from Google over a year ago when I wasn't in the job market. This year, when I entered the job market, I got back in touch with him, and he set things up for me.
    Since I work right next to the Google office in Cambridge, they skipped phone interviews and I was invited for an onsite interview directly. There were five technical interviews that covered coding, algorithm design and analysis, software design, and system design

Interview Questions
    • My most difficult question was on system design. I have been in academia until now, and so thinking about enterprise-style system-design and scalability issues was very difficult for me.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google in October 2012.

An employee at Google helped me submit my resume to their referral system. Two days later a recruiter contacted me and asked me to fill some standard forms about my location preference and skills. Then another recruiter asked me preferred dates for two telephone interviews.

There were two 45 minute interviews and the interviewer were very well-prepared. Very standard data structure and algorithm coding problems. They helped me throughout the whole process. Make sure that you think aloud and tell them your thoughts and concerns. Do not hesitate to ask them if there's anything not clear. Although I made some mistakes and got the final correct answer/code after a lot of their hints, I was noticed one day after my interview that I had passed.

Then was the host matching process. Someone(including me) may think that if apply early, we would get an offer for internship if we can pass the tech interviews because Google would match you to different hosts until summer. BUT this was not the case. Now they have a new policy. If the recruiter can't find a host that shows interest to the candidate within several weeks, the intern will be rejected. It seems a lot of candidates who pass the tech interviews can't get an offer because no match can be found.

After a host showed interest to me, we had a non-technical phone talk, which was about half an hour. He first asked some experiences on my resume. Then introduced his project and asked if I was interested. We were both satisfied and two days later my recruiter told me she will prepare an offer. One more week later I got a phone call from the recruiter about the offer and two more days later I got the offer letter. It's an intern position at Mountain View. Satisfied and accepted immediately.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation because it's an internship

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Google in July 2012.

In one word, long. Had just resent resume when I was contacted by them from a resume sent three years prior. After going through three different HR people, was finally put in touch with local HR person who setup a phone screen, including a virtual white board. At some point along the way was told of an six week period before an offer was made if everything went smoothly. After making it through phone screen, attending an in-house interview coaching session, and getting past the first round of in-person interviews, I was then told the six week period started. I didn't have the luxury of waiting that long, if an offer was even to be forthcoming. And, I wasn't even interviewing for a specific job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about checking if a grid of letters had Boggle-style words in there via connected letters, length, etc.   View Answer
    • Given a series of heights describing building start and end points, how would you draw the horizon.   Answer Question

Product Manager - Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google in April 2012.

Talked to HR recruiter after which I was scheduled 2 phone interviews.
    After that was scheduled 3 on-site interviews

Interview Questions
    • pretty standard business case questions. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question