Google Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 4, 2014

3.7

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Google.

I initiated the process by responding to an email message from a sourcer and was handed off to a recruiting coordinator. I spoke several times with the recruiting coordinator, who was my primary contact point throughout the proces. After an intial phone screen, I was invited onsite to speak with 5 engineers (with a break for lunch mid-day).

Folowing the interviews, I received a tentative "not officially an offer" congradulatory call at which point we discussed teams that would be a good match for my skill set. Once one was selected, I received a formal offer, which I had 5 business days to accept.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

The process was pretty straight-forward. A recruiter got in touch with me and scheduled an HR round. This was followed by a technical phone screen. I was then invited on-site (Cambridge, MA) for a full day of interviews. The whole process took a little more than 10 weeks.

I personally thought the on-site interviews went very well. Did everything recommended by the Google recruiting teams. But in the end (after a painful wait of more than two weeks!) I was told that they've decided not to make an offer. I wasn't given feedback on what went wrong, even though the decision-making process took forever. I was told "it is Google's policy" not to elaborate on the reasons behind the decision!!!

Interview Questions
    • I would not say any of the questions were particularly difficult, but they were a bit tricky. Make sure you test your code for boundary conditions and with different inputs. And always, THINK OUT LOUD!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2013.

Applied through employee referral. They responded in 24 hours, by which I was quite surprised.

Interview Questions
    • Question was to be implemented in a shared document and I missed out on some edge cases but got the algorithm right for the most part.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in July 2012.

In one word, long. Had just resent resume when I was contacted by them from a resume sent three years prior. After going through three different HR people, was finally put in touch with local HR person who setup a phone screen, including a virtual white board. At some point along the way was told of an six week period before an offer was made if everything went smoothly. After making it through phone screen, attending an in-house interview coaching session, and getting past the first round of in-person interviews, I was then told the six week period started. I didn't have the luxury of waiting that long, if an offer was even to be forthcoming. And, I wasn't even interviewing for a specific job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about checking if a grid of letters had Boggle-style words in there via connected letters, length, etc.   View Answer
    • Given a series of heights describing building start and end points, how would you draw the horizon.   Answer Question

Product Manager - Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2012.

Talked to HR recruiter after which I was scheduled 2 phone interviews.
    After that was scheduled 3 on-site interviews

Interview Questions
    • pretty standard business case questions. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in April 2013.

I have no idea how they hire people. My only rule so far is "whatever you think the result of your interview with Google is - you are wrong". First time I though I did a lousy job - I got to the next phase. Next time I thought I did well - this turned out to be false. The questions during an on-site interview were not difficult, but really niche, requiring a very particular background.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Google.

I interviewed in Cambridge having recently finished a PhD. Communication was effective, though sporadic — overall the process took ~4 months, though holidays and my own schedule got in the way somewhat.

I had two days of interviewing, with 2 technical interviews each day and one thesis discussion. My overall impression was very positive: the interviewers were interested to see how I think, and encouraging / supportive when I hesitated or wasn't sure of how to proceed. Half of the interviewers had more of a "professional" appearance and half had more of a "hacker" appearance.

Questions ranged from basic "write this recursive function" to more open-ended "start designing this type of system, even though obviously you won't finish in 45 minutes." Nobody was super picky about code style or being a Java know-it-all, but emphasis was placed on being able to write clean, clear, maintainable code.

Interview Questions
    • An open-ended question about designing an interesting 2D puzzle. There was a requirement of "interestingness," which was left open to the interviewees interpretation.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Google in February 2011.

I met a mid-level manager at Google who was very kind and offered to forward my resume if I was interested in working at Google. I had never really thought about going to work there; obviously I had heard great things about the work environment, the quality of the work and the widespread ability to move horizontally across departments. So I forwarded my resume to that person and within two and half weeks I got contacted via email and set up my first interview.

My first round was a phone interview: a simple sanity check and it lasted about 20 minutes. They asked basic questions about me and my interests, my past work experiences. The traditional:
    your strengths?
     weaknesses?
     a difficult work situation and how did you handle it?
    why do you want to work at google?

At the end of the interview I was told what google products to brush up on and given an brief outline of what my next interview would entail.

The Second Interview was again completed by phone. It took place a week and half later. We quickly went over my background again.
    -We then jumped into the range of products I would be marketing or selling.
    -I was given a case study on how I would quantify the number potential leads for this range of products.
    -I was then told to do a mock sale. With the interviewer being the owner of a small/medium business and myself trying to sell him or get him interested in the google product

Interview Questions
    • If you had to change any of the featured products in product that you would be in charge of selling, what would those be and why?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

I pursued Google opportunities through veteran recruiting at a top 3 MBA school in the Northeast. Of the 20 companies I have interacted with during recruiting, Google was easily the most UNPROFESSIONAL.
    -Made appointments and commitments that were not kept. No-shows for meetings leaves a terrible impression.
    -Left several messages as requested but without response. Occasionally I would get a voicemail with an excuse and a new appointment time, which veteran MBA recruiter would then miss.
    -Team sent a representative as a last-minute fill-in for the main veteran recruiter who didn't know what positions were available. Time consuming planning, not helpful.
    -Recruiter invited me to campus. I left messages to coordinate, traveled cross country, heard nothing back, then got a voicemail a few days after I came back home. Offensively bad organization. Check your calendar buddy. And your messages. ANY of them.
    -I did get a rejection email from Google months later for a position I'd never heard of or had applied . I sent that one around other HR contacts I had who were concerned but had no explanations.

WORST MBA RECRUITING TEAM

Interview Questions
    • What time are you available to talk? (useless question - veteran MBA recruiter would be a no-show time and time again)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in October 2012.

An employee at Google helped me submit my resume to their referral system. Two days later a recruiter contacted me and asked me to fill some standard forms about my location preference and skills. Then another recruiter asked me preferred dates for two telephone interviews.

There were two 45 minute interviews and the interviewer were very well-prepared. Very standard data structure and algorithm coding problems. They helped me throughout the whole process. Make sure that you think aloud and tell them your thoughts and concerns. Do not hesitate to ask them if there's anything not clear. Although I made some mistakes and got the final correct answer/code after a lot of their hints, I was noticed one day after my interview that I had passed.

Then was the host matching process. Someone(including me) may think that if apply early, we would get an offer for internship if we can pass the tech interviews because Google would match you to different hosts until summer. BUT this was not the case. Now they have a new policy. If the recruiter can't find a host that shows interest to the candidate within several weeks, the intern will be rejected. It seems a lot of candidates who pass the tech interviews can't get an offer because no match can be found.

After a host showed interest to me, we had a non-technical phone talk, which was about half an hour. He first asked some experiences on my resume. Then introduced his project and asked if I was interested. We were both satisfied and two days later my recruiter told me she will prepare an offer. One more week later I got a phone call from the recruiter about the offer and two more days later I got the offer letter. It's an intern position at Mountain View. Satisfied and accepted immediately.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation because it's an internship

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!