Google

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Business Analyst

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2011.

Interview Details – There were a number of brain teasers. Google has been known to be tough for their interviews. Even for a business analyst position they have some tough teasers.

Interview Question – How do you make 4 gallons from a 3 and 5 gallon jug?   View Answers (5)

Business Analyst

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2011.

Interview Details – The overall interview process was positive. I had an 2 initial phone interviews and then they flew me out to the HQ in Mountain View, CA. There were a few complications with scheduling once I was onsite. Onsite interviews consisted of three team members. The first and Last was pleasant but the middle interviewer was not so nice. A lot of behavioral questions and case questions. Def do research about the company, interview process, and position. The best way to obtain an interview is by getting an employee referral...best of luck!

Interview Questions

• name a google product you use and what would u change about it? how to improve it?   Answer Question
  • describe Ad words in three sentences to a child..   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in July 2011.

Interview Details – Had an initial call with two different recruiters to discuss which groups were interested. Very unorganized as neither knew I had spoken to the other. Then a phone interview with members of the group. Asked some brainteasers and some strategy/consulting-type questions, but pretty brief. Heard back from a recruiter the next day about continued interest and was scheduled to fly to Mountain View the next week.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Google in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was through the University on campus recruiting. The school shared a database of possible candidates for different functions based on interests and experience. From that, Google picked the people for interviews.

At the beginning a thought that the process was weird since the recruiters at Google were very inflexible with the interview hours and dates (considering that I was an student). But in the end I yielded since it is Google right? Probably they have a lot of people who want to work there. Then at the time of the interview (was by phone), the interviewer called me almost 40 minutes late and spent probably 30-35 minutes talking about himself and his projects. I was really expecting an interview where the interviewer was interested somehow in getting to know me more and who would have spend the 45 minutes we had for that call more wisely. But again, they are Google, right? They can do pretty much what they want. The rest of the time we basically spent it talking about my thoughts on a few of his projects and one business case.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions was regarding my understanding of the education industry and how I could help institutions to attract better people to the system (students) and why would that be better than bringing anyone who could pay the tuition in the long term. This question was more like a regular consulting business case with a very limited amount of time   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2009.

Interview Details – During all the interviews, the interviewers started with the basic background questions, but then eventually evolved into a series of "test" questions (which mostly seemed prepared in advanced). These were used to get an idea of your overall "thinking skill" - not specific to the job. They were stories that required reasoning and not jumping to the first answer that comes to mind. Overall, they appear to test you general logical reasoning skills/intelligence.
The interviewers also typed all of my answers as I spoke. I suppose this is to record my responses in a database so that if I ever apply for a job again at Google, the new interviewers can see my prior responses.

Interview Question – If someone came to you and asked you to rebuild the Golden Gate bridge, how would you go about it?   View Answer

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in December 2009.

Interview Details – During the first phone interview, mainly he asked about my current work experience. Then he moved on to a business case question that was similar to the job posting. At the onsite interview, I interviewed with 5 people, each individually. They asked about my work experience, what I did after work, and more business case interviews.

Interview Question – How many websites are on the internet? How would you find out the number?   View Answers (2)

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – very very difficult and full use of technology

San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details – Google contacted me on LinkedIn. The first step in the process was a screening phone call with an HR person. That led to me filling out some paperwork and sending over a current resume. After this is black hole number one. I heard nothing from Google for months. Then I was contacted saying they wanted to move forward with a technical phone screen. This took 2 months to schedule. There were multiple attempts at this interview since there were scheduling issues where the interviewer was not available. When it finally did get the interview the interviewer was 15 minutes late.

Then the process started moving a little quicker. Within two days I received feedback they wanted to move forward as soon as next week. So I said I was available and then a whole week went by with no communication. Just me waiting to know if Google wanted to fly me across the country for an interview on a days notice. Finally, I get a response saying they needed more time the interviewers were too busy so I had to pass along more dates. This time the turnaround was a bit quicker I had a date scheduled a few weeks in advance. The process for scheduling travel was smooth and easy. They do one more call with you to prepare you for the onsite interview.

Unfortunately I was being considered for multiple positions and the HR team had misprepared me for my interview. I was told to expect a technically challenging interview. I had 5 hours of project management questions. Not at all what was in the job description. There seemed to be a large gap between what HR and I expected and what the team was looking for. The nightmare recruitment process finally ended with a voicemail saying they did not want to move forward. I requested more feedback as to why apparently that is against company policy.

Interview Question – Nothing specific sticks out.   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied for the position through the google jobs website. A few days later I got an email from a recruiter asking if I was available for a phone interview. I arranged one for the following week.

In between I was in contact with the recruiter over email. She gave me a few topics to know well for the interview as well as some competencies (where I failed, how I have shown leadership, etc.)

So the interview day came along. I was initially supposed to have an interview with one staff member but at the last minute, it was swapped to a different one. They only mailed me about it an hour before the interview. So luckily, I saw the mail in time.

The interview went differently to what I was told to expect. All the topics I had covered and was told to expect didn't come up. Some competency questions came up about my previous experiences with failing, leadership, difficult employees. Then they asked about my SQL and statistics experience which I had a feeling would come up but wasn't sure what topics. Then the big one came along... The cognitive interview question that Google is famous for.

I got a bit flustered as I didn't think this would come up as they seem to have done away with them. They really dissect everything you say for this question so practice the ones available online

All in all, it was a tough enough phone interview. My main grievance was that I was told to know the product inside out but they never asked a single thing about it which annoyed me as I spend so much time researching it and learning about it.

Overall, neutral experience. Got an email a day later to say I didn't get it. Recruiter was lovely. Really nice. Interviewer, not so good.

Interview Question – How many houses in the US have blue doors   View Answer

Business Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details – Hiring process is different for the two positions I interviewed. One started with talking to the team leader on the phone, and then bring me to the onsite. The other one started with phone screening with HR, and then the HM, on the phone still.

Interview Question – They asked specific operation processes regarding their business   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google Business Analyst interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.