Google Interview Questions in California

1,027 Interview Reviews

3.4

1,027 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Direct onsite because I interviewed in the past and did well that time. From the time I sent my resume to interview day: 2 weeks. From interview day to offer over the phone: 2 weeks.

The syllabus for the interviews is very clear and simple:
    1) Dynamic Programming
    2) Super recursion (permutation, combination,...2^n, m^n, n!...etc. type of program. (NP hard, NP programs)
    3) Probability related programs
    4) Graphs: BFS/DFS are usually enough
    5) All basic data structures from Arrays/Lists to circular queues, BSTs, Hash tables, B-Trees, and Red-Black trees, and all basic algorithms like sorting, binary search, median,...
    6) Problem solving ability at a level similar to TopCoder Division 1, 250 points. If you can consistently solve these, then you are almost sure to get in with 2-weeks brush up.
    7) Review all old interview questions in Glassdoor to get a feel. If you can solve 95% of them at home (including coding them up quickly and testing them out in a debugger + editor setup), you are in good shape.
    8) Practice coding--write often and write a lot. If you can think of a solution, you should be able to code it easily...without much thought.
    9) Very good to have for design interview: distributed systems knowledge and practical experience.
    10) Good understanding of basic discrete math, computer architecture, basic math.
    11) Coursera courses and assignments give a lot of what you need to know.
    12) Note that all the above except the first 2 are useful in "real life" programming too!

Interview 1:
    Graph related question and super recursion

Interview 2:
    Design discussion involving a distributed system with writes/reads going on at different sites in parallel.

Interview 3:
    Array and Tree related questions

Interview 4:
    Designing a simple class to do something. Not hard, but not easy either. You need to know basic data structures very well to consider different designs and trade-offs.

Interview 5:
    Dynamic programming,
    Computer architecture and low level perf. enhancement question which requires knowledge of Trees, binary search, etc.

At the end, I wasn't tired and rather enjoyed the discussions. I think the key was long term preparation and time spent doing topcoder for several years (on and off as I enjoy solving the problems).

Conclusion: "It's not the best who win the race; it's the best prepared who win it."

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can and should negotiate politely. You are in a stronger position if you have another offer, but even otherwise, you should ask for more of every type of payment!

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1 month. Employee referral -> 2 Phone Interviews -> 2 On-site Interviews. Job offer after two weeks.

Don't apply to the company, apply to the role. Why do you want to spend your days doing THIS work?

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Got a recruiter's email one day, and ask some behavior question and ask for arranging a pre-screen interview. And two week later, we had a phone interview with google document for technical questions. The coding question would be to generate all the combination of 3 digit numbers with no duplicate. 0 can be at the first digit. But I think I might be too nerves to response the question well.

Interview Questions

• First, a mathematic question, asking about a card game with how many possible way for the combination based on the rules it given.
      Second, let you to print out all the combination of 3 digit numbers with no duplicate, ex. 012, 013, ....123, 124, 125...

2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

An introduction and then a coding question. That's it. No questions about who you are, resume, CS knowledge, NONE of the stuff in the syllabus they gave you. I just went in and started coding. Strangest "interview" I've done yet. The question was typical array/string manipulation you see everywhere but was really hard to understand.

Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google (San Bernardino, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for a Software Engineering role at Youtube. First round very easy and it was possible to get through the question in 2 lines of code with a recursive approach. My interviewer then asked me to write the iterative version which I did. 2 weeks later my recruiter called me to tell me I made the final round.

The final round consisted of 5 technical interviews. For me there were 4 coding and 1 system design. The coding questions covered purely data structures, algorithms. The system design question was also very technical too. I managed to get to an efficient clean solution on every single interview, tested my code and got good feedback from each one of my interviewers as well during the interview. Also I had great discussions with all my interviewers at the end of each interview, they were all very nice and helpful.

However, the recruiter told me that they were not moving forward with me. I was very surprised.

The recruiter mentioned I had received high scores on communication skills, analytical skills, and coding skills. The feedback was that I had some bugs in my code. I checked through every line I wrote at every interview and I don't believe this was actually true. I have never done so well at an interview just to get rejected and honestly I am sure I am not the only one google treats like this. I found the process to be very disrespectful to candidates as if we are robots. I personally lost all interest of working for the company.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Intense and demanding. Many expectations for a graduate student, and I was driven to meet them with large amounts of preparation. Will definitely go back to reapply as soon as I can.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

There was one phone call interview with another TPM, and then another phone call with engineer.
    I'm still in the interview process

The first interview included questions on project management concepts
    The second call was an engineering test - simple coding exercise followed by system design question

Through the entire process I'm in touch with a recruiter regarding the next steps and times.

Interview Questions

• - compare agile to waterfall methodologies
      - how do you handle new requirement in the middle of the project
      - how do you estimate project's expected work for a new project without history

Answer Question

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google (San Jose, CA).

Interview

The interview was via phone, so it was only a phone screening.
    The questions were easy and very straight forward. Talked briefly regarding the position and expectations. Nothing was unexpected. Honestly thought it was too easy that they'd put me off but they offered on site interview. Everything was just smooth sailing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      How would you go about talking to business owners about Google product?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Got first phone interview after submitting my resume 3 weeks earlier, the person who interviewed me asked two technical questions, first one was focus on probability calculation, and the other was combination of digits.

Interview Questions

• Calculate the combination of three digits number consisting of 0-9, and no duplicate is allowed.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who told me the hiring manager liked my resume. She then setup a technical phone interview. For that interview, I was contacted an hour ahead of the scheduled time. I asked my interviewer if he could give me 5 minutes to get ready, but he said it was alright and would call me an hour later.

He called and mentioned his name and that he was from Google. Then he copy-pasted a problem into Google Docs and asked for a solution. So yes, no introductions about himself or about me. I guess they don't care until you go onsite as a "potential" candidate. I asked a couple of questions to make sure I understood the problem. Afterwards, I wrote a recursive DFS solution. The interviewer said my solution was fine and that he had no more problems for me. I asked him some questions about the job role, but all I got was vague/cryptic answers. Very weird?

Overall, the experience is negative/neutral. My recruiter was AWESOME! (Keep in mind that Google recruiters are different from those who schedule your interview.) Very nice and well spoken. She also articulated to the best of her abilities the role I was applying for without getting into a lot of the details because of confidentiality. Unfortunately, my phone interviewer was a dud. I guess interviewing with Google matters much about the coding skills you have as well as the luck of the draw on who interviews you.

Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• Similar to this: Given an NxN grid of 0s, 1s, and 2s, find out whether 1s or 2s is surrounded starting at (i,j). Being surrounded means that 1s is surrounded by 2s or that 2s is surrounded by 1s.   1 Answer